People complaining about paying for their own care again = massive entitlement

Soldato
If someone doesn't have friends/family, why would losing your house to provide care matter? It's not like you're going to need/see it again.
Exactly, if you dont have any friends or family when you die (very sad) then its end of the line. May aswell spend up before you die if you have no-one but lots of possessions, savings and investments.
No point being the richest man/woman in the graveyard

Man of Honour
Exactly, if you dont have any friends or family when you die (very sad) then its end of the line. May aswell spend up before you die if you have no-one but lots of possessions, savings and investments.
No point being the richest man/woman in the graveyard

An old bloke diagonally opposite me in this situation.
He fell over a month ago and now needs 4 Nurses in a day and probably going into care.
He has no family.

Oh scrap that, when the breakfast Nurse came one of the neighbours was in there getting him a cup of tea so they have scrapped that Nurse because he can carry on doing it.

Soldato
I'd rather blow all my cash and sign a disclaimer saying if I ever end up in a home then euthanise me.
This exactly. Real question, is it possible to have something in writing (that will stand up in court) saying something on the lines of "if my health is that bad I can no longer take care of myself xyz then please end me any way possible"

With alzheimers at least im sure many end up scared, not knowing where they are, what the are doing or even who they are

Soldato
This exactly. Real question, is it possible to have something in writing (that will stand up in court) saying something on the lines of "if my health is that bad I can no longer take care of myself xyz then please end me any way possible"

With alzheimers at least im sure many end up scared, not knowing where they are, what the are doing or even who they are

https://www.ageuk.org.uk/information-advice/money-legal/legal-issues/advance-decisions/

It is a living will. Needs witnessing like a normal will but it should be observed if you end up terminally ill or very severely injured in a hospital.

Associate
It is a living will. Needs witnessing like a normal will but it should be observed if you end up terminally ill or very severely injured in a hospital.

I was watching an episode of Silent Witness yesterday that was showing this/similar thing about people wanting to end their own lives as they are in too much pain/will die soon anyway. I think in the UK its still illegal even if the person consented to it in their rightful state of mind? But yes the do no resuscitate or turning off the machine for a long term coma patient is slightly different.

Associate
I'd rather blow all my cash and sign a disclaimer saying if I ever end up in a home then euthanise me.

Except this isn't allowed in the UK, I would know because I've been asking for it for several years.

Also I maybe speak to my neighbour a few times a year when we simply see each other whenever I rarely do step outside. According the mental health / DWP / NHS, saying hello to my neighbour twice a year would mean there's nothing wrong with me, 0 points.

'Do you speak to your neighbours?' Well I said hello this one time 5 years ago ... ZERO POINTS

Currently trying to get a wad of NHS questionnaires posted except I've never managed to post things in over 2 years, I normally pay to have stuff collected or demand online communication.

NHS still doesn't let you fill the questionnaires and such things in online and still expect everything to be done by mail. Waiting for the support worker to respond but I feel like they've given up on my at this point because I seem perfectly normal when they visit me in my house.

I've asked the place the letter needs going back to if they would refund the cost of a collection, waiting for a reply on that too. I don't enjoy the repetitive taste of concrete, or the panic attacks very much when I do attempt to travel.

Last edited:
Soldato
My grandad was the happiest he'd been in years when he went to the old folks home. The old fella had a whale of a time: one of us family would visit most days and take him to the pub for a half, he loved the nurses, especially one Polish lass. The real shame was that he died within a year with pneumonia (he was wheelchair bound after polio in his younger days: pneumonia seems a common way to go, as it's harder to clear your lungs seated).

It's not so bad if you're in a decent home.

Associate
It's not so bad if you're in a decent home.

Most such 'homes' in the UK are actually decent, and a far better alternative than expecting your adult offspring to look after you.

Even today, most parent's routinely condition their kids into believing they owe it to them to look after them when they get old, and repeatedly slander the idea of 'being put in a home' as somehow being worse than going to prison.

This continues to perpetuate the idea that care homes are bad and you have to hate your parents to 'put them in one'.

The correct decision should actually be 'I would rather be in a care home than become a burden on my family / loved ones'. Expecting to be personally looked after by family in your old age is actually a sign of narcissism.

All of this is further hampered by the fact that, as people mentioned they would rather be 'put down' rather than be left infirm, this is not allowed in the UK. You have to lay in a bed drugged up on morphine and whatever else until you die.

Soldato
It depends entirely on your health. If you have dementia and don't know who anyone is, you cant do anything for yourself and are constantly crapping yourself life is pointless. I've watched it twice and it is horrible.
This. My dad has already told me on many occasions if he ends up like this to "give me an ounce of lead"

Associate
I was healthy until I got 2 strokes (working long hours for 30+ years) and now housebound as my balance is shot (other issues as well) and I can only move a few feet at a time (need help to do more), so bottom line is
that ill health can hit anybody at any time and or an accident (car, etc), so free and or semi free health care is a huge help for those that have health issues. PIP has already cut my money because
they say even though I can't travel, I can still plan a trip... what? The joy of the government finding new ways to save money.

Associate
I was healthy until I got 2 strokes (working long hours for 30+ years) and now housebound as my balance is shot (other issues as well) and I can only move a few feet at a time (need help to do more), so bottom line is
that ill health can hit anybody at any time and or an accident (car, etc), so free and or semi free health care is a huge help for those that have health issues. PIP has already cut my money because
they say even though I can't travel, I can still plan a trip... what? The joy of the government finding new ways to save money.

You always need to appeal PIP decisions like that, the decisions they make are always complete BS.

In most cases they say if you go to medical appointments / turn up to your assessment, that means an automatic 0 points in all the socializing and travel categories.

Tribunals over ride these decisions every day.

Back
Top Bottom