Show Us Your Motors!

Soldato
Not keen on the red accents on the alloys, but apart from that your Megane RS looks gorgeous! Enjoy it :)

Sadly my GTI from post #54267 hasn't faired too well....the garage has called and it's a write off (£7K+ repair bill). I hope they give me a fair price for my car as it was very well kept low mileage example with a full service history, just paid for a major service and MOT...typical. This is my first time experiencing this so I'm not sure what to do now whilst I wait around to hear from my insurance, guess I just start looking for a new car? :confused:
Sorry to hear this jeez £7K that's massive (I estimated only £4-5K). Hope you get a fair insurance quote! :) They will usually give you the book value only or slightly less just so you know they are not usually over generous either nothing personal about it just the way it works sadly :(

Soldato
Not keen on the red accents on the alloys, but apart from that your Megane RS looks gorgeous! Enjoy it :)

Sadly my GTI from post #54267 hasn't faired too well....the garage has called and it's a write off (£7K+ repair bill). I hope they give me a fair price for my car as it was very well kept low mileage example with a full service history, just paid for a major service and MOT...typical. This is my first time experiencing this so I'm not sure what to do now whilst I wait around to hear from my insurance, guess I just start looking for a new car? :confused:
Start looking for equivalents for sale elsewhere incase they low ball you...

Soldato
As ACME suggested you could retain the salvage if it's a Cat N. Cat S is not so easy to get back on the road.

So for example if they offer you £9k, and they deem the salvage to be worth £1k they'd pay you £8k and you're then free to get it repaired where you wish and get it back on the road using your £8k. If it only costs £6k you'll have £2k in your pocket.

Last edited:
Associate
Sorry to hear this jeez £7K that's massive (I estimated only £4-5K). Hope you get a fair insurance quote! :) They will usually give you the book value only or slightly less just so you know they are not usually over generous either nothing personal about it just the way it works sadly :(

Yeah, as long as I get a decent price I'll be happy as I think I'd put it into a 2018 Golf GTI :)

Start looking for equivalents for sale elsewhere incase they low ball you...

Good idea, I'll go and do that, am I looking for private sale prices or dealers prices?

For when they low ball you*

Take the payout, salvage buy-back, have it repaired privately, keep enjoying it with a CAT marker and a few grand in your back pocket.
How will it fare in another accident later in life? Is it worth the risk?
As ACME suggested you could retain the salvage if it's a Cat N. Cat S is not so easy to get back on the road.

So for example if they offer you £9k, and they deem the salvage to be worth £1k they'd pay you £8k and you're then free to get it repaired where you wish and get it back on the road using your £8k. If it only costs £6k you'll have £2k in your pocket.

Sadly I don't think I'd risk it personally so I probably won't buy her back but I'll certainly think about it! My next concern is that it's now been written off which means my courtesy car will need to be returned soon (only covered whilst it's in for repair - not if it's written off). I think I probably need to make a separate thread for advice so I don't de-rail this one :D

Associate
Yeah, as long as I get a decent price I'll be happy as I think I'd put it into a 2018 Golf GTI :)

Good idea, I'll go and do that, am I looking for private sale prices or dealers prices?

Sadly I don't think I'd risk it personally so I probably won't buy her back but I'll certainly think about it! My next concern is that it's now been written off which means my courtesy car will need to be returned soon (only covered whilst it's in for repair - not if it's written off). I think I probably need to make a separate thread for advice so I don't de-rail this one :D
If you’ve recently had any repair bills or receipts for things like new tyres make sure you tell them as they will allow for them

Associate
Edit: love the s2000. I see one where I used to go walking, looks like it's been sat for at least 9 years now.

To tramp it up a bit, my 325i is still bumbling along! The rusty bits haven't appeared to spread, and one day I may get them poked by someone who knows more.
20210510-141800.jpg

And the apparently sensible but much more fun choice for longer trips, my R1250GS, replete with electric motors in cylinder heads. Perfectly sensible! Oh and that post isn't attached to the top box!
20210510-141847.jpg

Ev0

Ev0

Soldato
RS3 had a clean, polish and coating.

Hadn’t washed it for god knows how long since our little one arrived, and having no time at all to do anything anymore had a local chap sort it all out.

Scrubbed up ok!

FD21-EFDD-E0-BB-47-B5-AD15-3-A84-A4-DBA275.jpg

4-BCFD154-52-DB-4-EA6-A6-B1-65-B1-F9-BB524-D.jpg
89-A86061-6-BD0-4-F13-A16-F-7-D75253438-CD.jpg

Back
Top Bottom