Where to go from here?

Soldato
This is a difficult one without trying to sound ungrateful. I have had a job in healthcare (NHS) throughout the pandemic. I appreciate that I am lucky to have that stability.

However I do not enjoy my work at all. The only advantage is that the commute is short. The issue is that once I complete my further studies (12-18 months from now) there is no position above me nearby. I would have to travel 70-90 minute commute each way and my salary would only go up by £4k. (The salary is below £50k BTW).

BUT there is potential for me to start my own business (big risk) once I complete the aforementioned qualifications and then another course so we're talking at least 24 months from now.

The issue is that I'm itching for a complete career change into the IT sector (broad I know) because other than that business opportunity the profession is going downhill (Pharmacist).

I'm leaning towards the business because I don't have any commitments (no mortgage, partner or kids).

However every time we've had IT issues at work that required a technician to come in or remote assistance I sometimes end up solving the issue for them which surprises them and I start to think whether I'm in the wrong career as it seems to come naturally to me.

I'm at a bit of a crossroads at the moment, I know I need to pick one and not sit on the fence. Any advice would be appreciated.

Man of Honour
As you have no mortgage, partner or kids have you considered moving so you don't have to commute 70-90mins each way? We have some friends that are Band 8 pharmacists and I think that's around the sweet spot in terms of the vast majority of income being taxed at 20% or less plus NHS pension.

Man of Honour
Realistically are you going to have the drive to start your own business? How much of a priority is that in your life? If that is ultimately what you want to do then stay or take whichever job helps you move towards that.

Man of Honour
BUT there is potential for me to start my own business (big risk) once I complete the aforementioned qualifications and then another course so we're talking at least 24 months from now.
With no family or mortgage this is a LOW risk. There will never be a time in your life lower risk than this.

Also, why do you need the qualifications before you can start a business?

Soldato
OP
With no family or mortgage this is a LOW risk. There will never be a time in your life lower risk than this.

Also, why do you need the qualifications before you can start a business?

This is why I was interested in what the business was, as maybe it was related to pharmacy stuff? No idea, but if it isn't you need zero qualifications for most things you do on your own!

Start an aesthetics clinic, requires the ability to prescribe and whilst you can do the fillers and botox with very little training I would rather do the full practical course and become qualified also I want to specialize in skin, so I will be prescribing creams etc for skin conditions

Soldato
Start an aesthetics clinic, requires the ability to prescribe and whilst you can do the fillers and botox with very little training I would rather do the full practical course and become qualified also I want to specialize in skin, so I will be prescribing creams etc for skin conditions
If there's a gap in the market for this kind of service it would be absolutely the right thing to do for you as with no commitments you won't be as pressured to 'pay the bills', trust me having contracted for a company who provide IT support to the NHS you aren't going to be making the kind of money that as a qualified pharmacist you will.
Also as you have no commitments why not mentioned by Hangtime move closer so as it's not a massive commute

Back
Top Bottom