• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Replacing poor quality thermal pads on Gigabyte 3080 Gaming OC?

Soldato
The argument that you are throwing the warranty in the bin doesn't stop lots of us putting water blocks on our cards. I've had to RMA a couple of cards over the years that have been on water blocks and never had an issue.

I've changed the pads on several of my mining cards. Just be very careful removing the stock pads, I used a stanley knife under them and they all came off in one piece, then store them in the packaging your replacement pads came in. You can just swap back if you ever need to RMA. All the paste I've seen so far looks identical to Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut.

Associate
You should RMA any card you believe is faulty. You shouldn’t try to repair such an item yourself imo. Only do it if you are prepared to void the warranty.

And as for your tyre and house analogies, they are ridiculously stupid.

How so? Why is it OK for a GPU manufacture to state you cant change a thermal pad, but not a car manufacture to state you cant change the tyre from the one they provide?

Its also a terrible attitude to never try repair anything. Its such a wasteful society as a result. Its why people buy new before even attempting to fix what they have.

Changing Thermal pads isnt done for 'repair' in the sense the item does not work. Its done for improvement. Just like changing tyres on your car could be done to improve grip or fuel economy.

So how about you actually put some words into your post and explain your thinking than just being so short and dismissive? Explain why you think my analogy is "stupid". Or if you cant be bothered....why comment at all? Way to further the conversation.

Give me an example of other items you own which you allow the manufacture to control what you do with it.

Caporegime
How so? Why is it OK for a GPU manufacture to state you cant change a thermal pad, but not a car manufacture to state you cant change the tyre from the one they provide?

Its also a terrible attitude to never try repair anything. Its such a wasteful society as a result. Its why people buy new before even attempting to fix what they have.

Changing Thermal pads isnt done for 'repair' in the sense the item does not work. Its done for improvement. Just like changing tyres on your car could be done to improve grip or fuel economy.

So how about you actually put some words into your post and explain your thinking than just being so short and dismissive? Explain why you think my analogy is "stupid". Or if you cant be bothered....why comment at all? Way to further the conversation.

Give me an example of other items you own which you allow the manufacture to control what you do with it.
I will not try to repair anything electrical that I’m not trained or knowledgeable in doing.

Tyres are non electrical mechanical items, and you won’t kill your car by fitting a tyre incorrectly.

Messing about with such a precision electrical device and risking totally killing it with no path to a replacement is just silly, especially when you can get it done for you for free.

Associate
I will not try to repair anything electrical that I’m not trained or knowledgeable in doing.

Tyres are non electrical mechanical items, and you won’t kill your car by fitting a tyre incorrectly.

Messing about with such a precision electrical device and risking totally killing it with no path to a replacement is just silly, especially when you can get it done for you for free.

High VRAM temps isnt a fault per-say. If you RMA for that, youd just get another card with the same problem.

Wont kill your car fitting a tyre incorrectly? You might cause an accident and kill more than the car.... yet your OK with people being able to change that themselves.

Like I said, I have no issue with a warranty claim on a car, TV, house or GPU being declined because a customer DAMAGED the item while trying to modify or improve it.

What I take issue with is warranties being 'voided' for the act of changing a thermal pad correctly. This actually improves the overall operation of the card. So it should not itself lead to rejection of a warranty claim.

Just because YOU do not feel comfortable to open up an electrical device, does not mean other people are not. And like I keep saying...if somebody opens up a device and is clumsy and breaks it...yes reject there claim.

Soldato
the act of changing a thermal pad correctly. This actually improves the overall operation of the card. So it should not itself lead to rejection of a warranty claim.
I'd like that to be the case but unfortunately it isn't as one thing leads to another, first it will be the pads to improve the operation of the card but then the same could be said for shunt mods to improve its performance or replacing poscaps to MLCCs where do you draw the line.

Soldato
The argument that you are throwing the warranty in the bin doesn't stop lots of us putting water blocks on our cards. I've had to RMA a couple of cards over the years that have been on water blocks and never had an issue.

That depends on the brand though. Gigabyte let you add a waterblock. Zotac dont.

You should RMA any card you believe is faulty. You shouldn’t try to repair such an item yourself imo. Only do it if you are prepared to void the warranty.

And as for your tyre and house analogies, they are ridiculously stupid.

Heh heh xPETERZx is "MR Analogy" in a few threads I have read today.

Caporegime
Imo the OP’s card is somewhat faulty anyway. There shouldn’t be an oily substance on the cover. As I said earlier, I have the same card and have no issues with oily substances or high temps.

I would give @GIGA-Man a shout and see what he recommends first before you start pulling anything apart.

Associate
I'd like that to be the case but unfortunately it isn't as one thing leads to another, first it will be the pads to improve the operation of the card but then the same could be said for shunt mods to improve its performance or replacing poscaps to MLCCs where do you draw the line.

I think the line is easy enough to draw. Once the customer damages a product leading to its failure. Again... like on a car. You upgrade the suspension, and have a turbo fail, no reason why the warranty on that should be void.
If the suspension fails, well yea... not gonna be covered by the manufacture is it.

If you shunt modded the card, and the HDMI port failed...why should that claim be rejected?

That depends on the brand though. Gigabyte let you add a waterblock. Zotac dont.

Heh heh xPETERZx is "MR Analogy" in a few threads I have read today.

Yea.... I like an analogy. Always great when rather than actually further the conversation people just make fun of or try be-little a comment. (calling it stupid without expanding why...)
While my analogies are not always great...I find they can help. Esp. in cases like this. People seem all too ready to accept restrictions placed on electrical goods, which they would never accept on other items they pay for more for...

Soldato
Hi everybody,

So doing a little maintenance on my PC and I noticed an oily substance on my GPU cover, a quick google tells me that this is down to really poor quality thermal pads used by Gigabyte which I'm quite surprised about to be honest. I've also seen that they're not the best for dissipating heat, so have decided to change them out.

Have been looking at Thermal Grizzly Minus Pad 8's but they're ridiculously expensive. Can I ask what you guys would recommend as an alternative? I believe I need 1mm, 2,mm and 3,mm.

The Thermal pads from Gigabyte seem to leak out oil, video here of another user with the issue and a nice pool of oil his leaked.:rolleyes:

Soldato
Either the thermalright odyssey or gelid extreme seem to be the best 2 options although if you're not mining then is it worth doing as it will possible void the warranty.

I've done warranty claims on gigabyte cards that I'd had water coolers on, just popped the original cooler back on but couldn't reuse original pads or paste obvs, went through fine.

Soldato
I've done warranty claims on gigabyte cards that I'd had water coolers on, just popped the original cooler back on but couldn't reuse original pads or paste obvs, went through fine.
Maybe something they are hotter on now as they know many people will be changing the pads out for mining during the current crypto craze.

Soldato
OP
Don't we have a gigabyte rep on the forums? Can't remember the guys name to tag him but would be good to get an official answer on this as seems silly way to void warranty when it's a simple job that can be done at home as opposed to a lengthy rma process for a known issue where they will likely use the same pads again anyway.

Associate
Maybe something they are hotter on now as they know many people will be changing the pads out for mining during the current crypto craze.
Cant imagine they would be...
Not unless they start also seeing a higher failure rate, and can reliably 'prove' its cause of changed pads / mining.

Real truth will be over the next 2-3 yrs. As these cards age, are we going to see higher than normal failure rates?
Will that rate be higher on stock cards? Will it be higher on cards that have mined most of their life?

Personally... I dont think so. I recon these things will fail at a predictable and expected rate. Manufactures will likely do what they always do with RMAs.

Soldato
OP
To be honest, I think my plan will be to replace the pads but keep the old ones and if I ever need to return the card just put the old ones back if the new ones are a different color. I mean how the heck would they know in reality?

Soldato
Don't we have a gigabyte rep on the forums? Can't remember the guys name to tag him but would be good to get an official answer on this as seems silly way to void warranty when it's a simple job that can be done at home as opposed to a lengthy rma process for a known issue where they will likely use the same pads again anyway.

All the Reps have run for their lives on here, not one has been about since the RTX 3000 series appeared, the gigabyte rep was last seen on the Gigabyte 3000 series thread with the power issues, the one with the doggy pins on cards so the PCIE power cables wouldn't go in right. Not sure I have seen him since and all other Reps EVGA, ASUS etc have left the building.. :rolleyes: ... If you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen...;)

This thread :- https://www.overclockers.co.uk/foru...-oc-vision-power-connector-concerns.18900176/

GIGA-Man was last seen:
Nov 11, 2020

Soldato
OP
All the Reps have run for their lives on here, not one has been about since the RTX 3000 series appeared, the gigabyte rep was last seen on the Gigabyte 3000 series thread with the power issues, the one with the doggy pins on cards so the PCIE power cables wouldn't go in right. Not sure I have seen him since and all other Reps EVGA, ASUS etc have left the building.. :rolleyes: ... If you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen...;)

This thread :- https://www.overclockers.co.uk/foru...-oc-vision-power-connector-concerns.18900176/

GIGA-Man was last seen:
Nov 11, 2020

Lmao oh dear!

Soldato

I've got emails from them confirming they don't void warranty for cooler removal, it would be pretty difficult for them to back track on that, credit card claim would go in in a heartbeat

Back
Top Bottom