***The Wine Thread***

Soldato
I think you have to take Vivino reviews with a pinch of salt anyway, they are almost always too high.

I had a discussion on here with someone a while back and there were 2 thought processes for ratings

1 - Pure taste rating of the wine out of 5

2 - Rating based on price/taste out of 5

I tend to go towards the second option. If a wine is perfectly nice and enjoyable but only costs £6 i'll rate it higher than a wine which is only a little better but costs £20 because i would've expected more. Whereas anyone rating it based on option 1 would rate the more expensive wine higher because it's the better wine.

I also really struggle with only having the options them do. I end up with loads of wines within a 3.5-4.5 range and very few outside of that. There's always times i think it's not quite a 4 but then it's too good to be a 3.5. I'd like a 3.75 option like with Untappd.

Soldato
Damn you, i'm running low and trying to avoid buying more!

I've actually been buying this recently and been pretty impressed with it. More so because it's been reduced to £21
https://www.waitrose.com/ecom/produ...-igp-puglia-organic-wine/688636-723368-723369

That looks decent, how long will it stay fresh in the bag after opening? I presume weeks?

I've started with a riesling tonight, highly recommend this, I'd say its worth the full price but when they do 25% off it is great value. Not overly sweet like some but actually quite complex.

https://www.waitrosecellar.com/all-countries/rabl-schenkenbichl-riesling

VB6

VB6

Associate
Due to a health condition, I've decided to jack in all alcohol. Maybe this is the wrong thread, but are there any recommendations for alcohol free Red wine, as I've read they still contain some anti inflammatory properties that I'm keen to consume still?

I know you won't get exactly the same taste but wondered if anyone out there has some experience in this area?

Soldato
You may as well go for straight-up, unfermented grape juice in that case. The fermentation doesn't produce any extra anthocyanins, flavonoids, nor polyphenols (antioxidant chemical families). Wood barrel-aging of wine introduces polyphenols (tannins from wood). Most supermarkets have pretty good grape juices which are naturally high in anthocyanins, as are all purple fruits.

Edit: or just eat black grapes.

VB6

VB6

Associate
You may as well go for straight-up, unfermented grape juice in that case. The fermentation doesn't produce any extra anthocyanins, flavonoids, nor polyphenols (antioxidant chemical families). Wood barrel-aging of wine introduces polyphenols (tannins from wood). Most supermarkets have pretty good grape juices which are naturally high in anthocyanins, as are all purple fruits.

Edit: or just eat black grapes.

Yeah, can't argue with that. Had started trying a few de-alcoholised wines and they were just ok. Just looks a bit daft when cracking open the grape juice carton at night and pouring it into a wine glass.

I'm enough of a social leper as it is... :D

Soldato
@Martynt74 Get yourself to Booths (Fulwood or Penwortham) and in the red wine Italy section, find the Palladino Biferno Rosso. At our Booths we have the 2016 and it is £8 a pop. I know you said the missus likes a less meaty red wine but pinot noir is too light. This is your baby, at 13%. And it is such good value. In fact, get two because it is so quaffable. Open it an hour or two before drinking (in a carafe or decanter if poss) and it will be delish. The missus will love you.

EDIT: I think I recommended this about four years ago but it just popped up again in our Booths.

Last edited:
Soldato
Fantastic.

I start a new job in Chorley on Monday although whether I wait that long is another story.

I lived in Chorley before moving here and miss having a Booths within a 10 minutes walk. Certainly the best supermarket around.

Last edited:
Soldato
Damn you. I've been holding off so far. I keep telling the wife we need to cut back on how much money we manage to get through on a monthly basis so me buying a few bottles isn't ideal!

I was out of wine and nipped to Morrisons at dinner as it was near the post office and browsed the wine aisle. It's so unbelievably poor when i'm used to Waitrose/Booths.

I've ended up with this but not holding out much hope
https://groceries.morrisons.com/products/morrisons-the-best-negroamaro-421295011

On a separate note, does anyone have any suggestions of Spanish reds? Whenever we go over, my dad either buys the cheapest stuff from the local Bodega he can or raves about a lidl wine that's about 1 euro a bottle. I also seem to always do a terrible job in the supermarket of finding something i like, even when spending a decent chunk per bottle.

Some tips on things to look out for would be much appreciated as we're there in a few weeks.

Back
Top Bottom