**** Official Microsoft Flight Simulator Thread ****

Associate
I’ve never tried to find the highest single core speed my cpu will do, I’ve only ever overclocked it as all cores to to 4.4ghz, time to see if a single cor will go higher then.

Caporegime
Caporegime
Nowhere near as flash, but this ain’t bad for a tenner. An iPad G1000. Seems to work well, with all necessary functions. You can buy the MFD app separately if you have 2 iPads. At first it feels a bit fiddly, but once you get to grips with controls, it becomes much more intuitive to use. Bonus for me is iPads are conveniently firmly upright above the function keys on my Corsair K95. Please excuse the state of my desk area.

r6gdgWIl.jpg

Associate
My son has recently purchased MSFS but his aging i5 3570 with 8GB doesn't play too nicely with it. I runs, at low, hovering in mid 20 fps with stutters. So I'm thinking of treating him to an upgrade for it. As I can't see many 13 year old lads picking MSFS type games over Fornite etc, so best to be supportive! :p

Caporegime
My son has recently purchased MSFS but his aging i5 3570 with 8GB doesn't play too nicely with it. I runs, at low, hovering in mid 20 fps with stutters. So I'm thinking of treating him to an upgrade for it. As I can't see many 13 year old lads picking MSFS type games over Fornite etc, so best to be supportive! :p
Good luck getting the components. You might have more luck going for a prebuilt.

Caporegime
It's CPU/Mobo/RAM combo, so I'm fine with those (everything I've soft-picked is in stock and available). He has a GTX 970 GPU which should do the job nicely without being over the top at all; it's the GPU on the 'Recommended' spec list.
970 is not enough. Recommended specs are often weaker than they should be. The 970 just doesn’t have enough grunt or VRAM to run it at decent settings. Sorry, but that’s the cold hard truth.

Associate
970 is not enough. Recommended specs are often weaker than they should be. The 970 just doesn’t have enough grunt or VRAM to run it at decent settings. Sorry, but that’s the cold hard truth.
In an ideal world of component availability, sure. But with a mixture of settings (Med, some High) it seems to run decently enough (30 fps ball park) for a casual player to get into. I've played it on my RX 580 (so similar to the 970) and while it wasn't perfect, it was certainly enjoyable and didn't suffer major performance issues (again, with a mix of med/high settings).

He has no idea I hope to upgrade his system; I'd like to think he won't be disappointed I didn't also manage to find him a rare unicorn of a GPU upgrade too :cry: Maybe another time.

Soldato
Gorgeous ^^

I bought the ultralight solo 103 as the video looks cool. Of course I’m refusing to play it until the entire game stops relying on a single core but eventually i’ll Let you all know what it’s like :p
Ok couldn’t resist a little play with the ultralight, it can almost take off like a heli, very short runway, I actually took off in the parking area by accident whilst trying to taxi!

It can land on a 5 pence piece too.

Soldato
I think you’ll find it’s more expensive actually

https://aviatek.com/collections/all/products/av-g1000-complex-desktop-trainer

In this day and age, I’m surprised they can’t make a consumer level model for flight sim with a retail of £200-£300. They’d sell like crazy at that price.

I've got half a DIY one I started in lockdown here. It would be about £200 all in if I got round to finishing it. 100 of that for the 10" LCD, the rest for the rotary controllers, arduino, buttons etc.

Depends a little how the VR stuff goes. If next gen GPUs are anything but vapourware, and they add hand controls for instruments that are accurate enough, I'll probably go that route, rather than more cockpit.

Soldato
I originally played this back in September but uninstalled it fairly soon after.

So I spent all weekend reinstalling this and spent another couple of hours downloading the free content from the content manager.

Is it me or is there not many challenges or bush trips since release ? Doesn't seem to be many scenario's ?

I only say this as I haven't followed development at all but assumed there would be more....

Permabanned
I originally played this back in September but uninstalled it fairly soon after.

So I spent all weekend reinstalling this and spent another couple of hours downloading the free content from the content manager.

Is it me or is there not many challenges or bush trips since release ? Doesn't seem to be many scenario's ?

I only say this as I haven't followed development at all but assumed there would be more....
A to B flying just for the sake of it is normally what puts new users (and existing simmers) off flying for a while.

There are a couple of apps that provide something close to a "single player campaign" style dynamic to flight sims, might be worth checking out if you're looking for something to give you a reason to keep flying.

https://orbxdirect.com/product/p42-the-skypark

https://www.justflight.com/product/air-hauler-2-microsoft-flight-simulator

Associate
Has anyone here purchased the Aerosoft CRJ? It looks like a fantastic aircraft.

I’m really new to flying the airliners and I’ve been thoroughly enjoying the fantastic FBW A32NX. I’m still learning, however I think I’d like to challenge myself a little more with a slightly less automated/more hands on aircraft that will also allow me to fly in/out of smaller airports.

Back
Top Bottom