• Digital Only Version

Votes: 171 16.1%
  • UHD Optical Version

Votes: 660 62.3%
  • Unlikely to buy either

Votes: 228 21.5%

• Total voters
Soldato
It's utterly bonkers that websites are putting stock up at silly o clock - only the bots will be there to scoop up the goods.

Shameful by the retailers.

I mean I can see the logic; they don't want their website to be down during normal business hours and lose lots of sales of other items. They don't care who they sell to as long as items sell, and if they can do that at 4am even better!

Associate
Got lucky and managed to get one (Argos) was trying from about 01:30 until 04:00, I’d read about the restocks on a newspapers website. I work nights so didn’t finish work until 02:30, so don’t give up and assume all the stock is gone even though I was using the free version of the alerts phone app.

Associate
Glad I haven't got one yet, with the rumours of an update console next year.

The rumours only seem to detail a refresh in the sense of a manufacturing process improvement allowing greater numbers to be made, a 'Slim' version of the console if you like.

I highly doubt they will be upping the power of the console to a 'Pro' version not for a good few years yet as the tech onboard is very much current being Zen2 and RDNA2.

Soldato
The rumours only seem to detail a refresh in the sense of a manufacturing process improvement allowing greater numbers to be made, a 'Slim' version of the console if you like.

I highly doubt they will be upping the power of the console to a 'Pro' version not for a good few years yet as the tech onboard is very much current being Zen2 and RDNA2.
Quieter, cooler and more efficient are fine by me. Might actually be some games this time next year as well.

Associate
Quieter, cooler and more efficient are fine by me. Might actually be some games this time next year as well.

Don't really have any real issues with heat or noise on my PS5, only a minor buzz from the disc drive if playing a game from a physical disc. Anything installed on the SSD and it runs nigh on silently. I've been quite lucky in all fairness. Heard issues with some people having the sticker issue vibrating on the fan etc.

Soldato
Got lucky and managed to get one (Argos) was trying from about 01:30 until 04:00, I’d read about the restocks on a newspapers website. I work nights so didn’t finish work until 02:30, so don’t give up and assume all the stock is gone even though I was using the free version of the alerts phone app.

I happened to wake at 5 this morning so had a look. After a mix of trying the site and app, I secured an order for same day delivery on the app.

Anxiously awaiting a cancellation/refund email. I'm not very hopeful tbh. They took the money and got an email at the time but seeing loads via twitter getting orders not gone through, refunds in 5-7days etc.

Let me know how you get on. Id like it to happen but will see

Soldato
I've just had a dispatched text so maybe it is happening!

Between 2:45 and 4:45 so had to nip home as partners on school run and I'm not risking it going back and being cancelled or something :D

Soldato
Sent my PS5 away to the sony repair centre for the strange fan sounds took 2 weeks and its come back the same.

Note in the box says, no fault found returned without changing any parts. latest software installed.

I've recorded a youtube video of it surely its a fault. anyone else's sound like this ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lBteqaE6PCc

Thanks Ben
Have you got a decibel/sound meter app on your phone. What range is that annoying sound?

Soldato
Sent my PS5 away to the sony repair centre for the strange fan sounds took 2 weeks and its come back the same.

Note in the box says, no fault found returned without changing any parts. latest software installed.

I've recorded a youtube video of it surely its a fault. anyone else's sound like this ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lBteqaE6PCc

Thanks Ben
Mine sounds like a lower pitched version of that, it’s quite weird and a very loud drive too. But I don’t want to send mine in for fear of never getting one back again! :D

Soldato
Thanks for the replies.

I've been on to PlayStation Support UK again and they are gonna view the YouTube videos and get back to be in 48 hours.

The support guy on the phone when I first booked in the repair said it sounds like fan bearing and I agreed.

But obviously the engineer the looked at the unit did nothing. Software update and sent it back, total waste of 2 weeks.

I mean the sounds isn't super loud and if your in a busy environment you would not even hear it. But at home under the TV or on the desk next to the monitor is such a irritating sound.

I got it online from another forum, it was brand new its just one of them things I guess. But from the first power on I knew something wasn't right.

Done a longer video on a better phone https://youtu.be/WcaCm2XPAWE

Soldato
Thanks for the replies.

I've been on to PlayStation Support UK again and they are gonna view the YouTube videos and get back to be in 48 hours.

The support guy on the phone when I first booked in the repair said it sounds like fan bearing and I agreed.

But obviously the engineer the looked at the unit did nothing. Software update and sent it back, total waste of 2 weeks.

I mean the sounds isn't super loud and if your in a busy environment you would not even hear it. But at home under the TV or on the desk next to the monitor is such a irritating sound.

I got it online from another forum, it was brand new its just one of them things I guess. But from the first power on I knew something wasn't right.

Done a longer video on a better phone https://youtu.be/WcaCm2XPAWE
It sounds like a hovering UFO. :p if they can’t hear that they must be deaf. Mine has a very slight coil whine but my fans are totally silent.

Soldato
Annoying to have a dodgy fan as my ps5 is generally pretty inaudible unless it's spinning up the dvd drive.

Was refreshing to hear how quiet the ps5 is after upgrading from the PS4 Pro which sounds like a vacuum cleaner after gaming on it for 15 minutes!

Associate
There’s good news with regards to the fan noise.

It is NOT a faulty fan.

The chirping ufo sound is resonance caused by the metal plate vibrating through the plastic shell.

You can reduce the sound by adjusting the fan screws. Often slightly loosening them will reduce it.

Some people put rubber o-rings in between the fan and shell but I had good results just loosening the screws.

You will need a Torx T8H screwdriver though.

Here are my before and after videos

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom