So who has spent time in the Army/Forces how do you feel afterwards

Caporegime
Is the snowboarding / benefits a bit like a 24/7 Gym at work? as in, BAU workload stacks up and gym time becomes an afterthought luxury? curious if there is a civvy street equivalent.

It can be, yes. It all depends on where you work/hierarchy. I've done quite well from it though, but also missed out on a lot too. It's still very good though, most people who moan they can't do it because of 'work' just don't want to but want to blame something else because they don't want to rather than just admit they don't want to.

Associate
I applied for Royal Marines officer entry in my younger days. Passed the POC first time but failed AIB twice. I regret not joining as a non-officer as I think it would've suited me, but there we go!

Man of Honour
My time in the RAF was a mix of enjoyment and disaster.

I joined the RAF in 1989 when I was 23, completed my basic training at RAF Swinderby and then onto No 4 School of Technical Training (4 S of TT) at RAF St Athans in S Wales for my mech's course. Passed that with flying colours and got posted to RAF St Mawgan in early February 1990. I loved it there and was doing very well. September 1990 I was posted to RAF Wildenwrath in W Germany, I settled in quickly and dived into my career. The only thing was that the day I got there they announced the camp was closing. July 1991 I was cross posted to RAF Bruggen attached to the bomb dump. That was a interesting time. February 1992 I was posted back to the UK and back to 4 S of TT for my fitters course setting a new record of the quickest time back after completing my mechs course. Passed with flying colours again and was posted to RAF Marham in Norfolk in late 1992. While there I was sent to Leconfield to do the Hagglunds BV 206 course which I thoroughly enjoyed. Within six months of completing my fitters course I was sent to the Falklands for my first tour and ended up on top of a mountain on West Falkland for four months (the reason for the BV course). It was ok and a good experience but the weather (Winter) was a real eye opener. Horrendous winds, ridiculous amounts of snow and crazy low temps. Did my four months and back to Marham. Over three years I failed every hearing test in my left ear but they never looked into it. I didn't like it here very much but got my 4000Lb offroad forklift and 6000Lb counterbalance licences while here. With the drawdown of personel that was happening at this time my career began to stagnate due to lack of promotion slots. Finally got posted away in late 1996 and was based at RAF Lyneham in Wiltshire on UK MAMS. While there I was stitched up for a 24 hour notice detachment to Zaire on a humanitarian relief mission. After being used as a pin cushion with multiple jabs we were airborne, around 4 hours out and the mission was cancelled so we returned to base. They actually picked up on my hearing in my left ear and sent me to have a operation to have grommets inserted. No investigation or anything, just a quick fix as I was due to go to the Falklands again. Late June 1997 I was back down the Falklands up another mountain on W Falkland. While down there I learned that upon return to the UK I was being posted back to Germany at RAF Laarbruch. Did my 4 months, got back to the UK, had my two weeks leave and got to RAF Laarbruch in November 1997.

It was here that things really went wrong for me because In January 1998 I was helping to push a 16/24 generator (big genny on a 3/4 ton trailer) into our hanger when myself and a couple of others slipped on ice and injured ourselves. I landed awkwardly and hurt my back. The other guys got away with sprains and at first that was what they thought I had done but unfortunately that wasn't the case. After a couple of weeks the pain was still with me and if anything was getting worse. They sent me for scans and found that I had crushed a disk and seriously deformed two vertebrae at C4/C5. They said that they couldn't operate on it and that I would be ok on painkillers and anti-inflammatories. They did make things bearable so I carried on. December 1998 we were home in Cornwall on leave and I woke up one morning with the left side of my face drooping. Went to A&E incase I had a mild stroke and they put it down to Bells Palsey and put me on steroids. After a couple of months my face started to return to normal. A few months later I had the worst pain imaginable in my head like someone was sticking a red hot poker in my skull. I went to the med centre and was told not to bother them with a headache. This went on for another couple of days and then I was working on a hydraulic rig and was in so much pain I couldn't concentrate any longer and with tears streaming down my face I went to have a word with my Sergeant about getting some time off. As soon as he saw me he told me to sit down and got on the phone to the med centre. Unknown to me I had blood and puss coming from my left ear but I was in so much pain I didn't feel it. Got rushed to the med centre only to be seen by the same doctor who had told me not to bother her with a headache. She actually did her job this time and said I had a perforated ear drum but sent me to hospital for further tests. It was just as well because on the scan they saw that I had a chronic infection of the inner ear which was eating into my skull and nerves (hence the droopy face at Christmas). I was sent 300 miles east to a private clinic in Bielefeld for a emergency operation. I was supposed to be in theatre for a hour and a half but this turned into three and a half hours due to the damage they needed to cut away. I was there for two weeks recovering but kept suffering from severe vertigo (still do to some extent) so was off sick for several months while my head sorted itself out. Not long after I recovered I was stiched up again and sent to Kuwait for four months (Gulf war 2) attached to RAF Germany TACSTO. While there my back started playing up again and I was put on stronger painkillers. Did my four months and back to Germany. I was finding it more and more difficult to do my job due to back pain. I had physiotherapy sessions but all I got from them was more pain. In 1999 I was medically downgraded due to having a permanent hearing loss in my left ear and my worsening back problems which put paid to any hopes of further promotion.

In July 1999 I was posted back to the UK to RAF Lossiemouth which was to be my final posting. In early 2000 I was sent to RAF Headley Court which was a recovery centre for people with chronic health problems on a three week course. With all the physical exercise and physio they put us through my back was getting worse and worse by the day. At ten days into the course I was in so much pain I ended up in a wheelchair. The next day I was called into the office to be told that they were sending me back to base with a recommendation that I be medically discharged from the RAF. A couple of months later I was called to the medical board at a camp just outside London (RAF Hendon maybe?). They confirmed my medical discharge and said that as soon as I got back to Lossie I was on indefinate medical leave. I travelled back up the same day only for the wife to tell me that she had sold my beautiful Samoyeds and was leaving me for someone else. I had just lost everything that meant anything to me on the same day. The next almost two years was a misery spent in limbo. While I was on full pay from the RAF I couldn't take another job so just waited around for a discharge date. I was offered very little in support from the RAF, next to nothing in the way of resettlement courses and nothing at all about a solution to my back. Finally I got a discharge date which was a year and eleven months after my medical board. They awarded me a disability pension and a lump sum plus I was going to also get a War Pension from the Veterans agency but at the end of the day I couldn't help but feel like I had been thrown aside, sort of here, take this money and go away.

Luckily I managed to get a job at a small engineering firm building trailers but he got greedy, expanded far too quickly and went bust in 2005 so I was made redundant. It was a blessing really as I was in serious trouble with my back now. It got so bad that I used to get home from work, curl up in the kichen and cry as the pain was so bad. I had the CSA treating me like something you scrape off your shoe by now so had to work and put up with the pain. My doctor referred me to the spinal people at the hospital and they eventually carried out a full spine scan. The damage in my lower back was now between C2 and C6 plus I had damaged vertebrae in my neck along with a crushed disk. It wasn't until 2016 that they did something about that. I had a operation to remove the disk and have a puck and titanium plate inserted which fixed my neck for a while but it's hurting again now. My back has worsened and I now have arthritus throughout the full length of my spine as well as severe hearing loss in my left ear.

At the end of the day I really enjoyed my early years in the RAF and embraced the life. I went to some "interesting" places and saw some wonderful things. Things started going downhill in the mid 90's when the drawdowns first started. Many took early retirement and there were less opportunities for advancement. At the same time fewer people and ever more commitments meant more and more time away from family and I guess I saw it less of a career and more like just a job. In all I did just over 13 years although I was signed up for 21 years. I got a good trade (mechanical engineer) out of it and many engineering qualifications although in my condition they are practically useless. The forces as a career are what you make of it. Just do the minimum and you won't enjoy it (probably won't last long either) but embrace it and explore all the opportunities on offer and it can be a highly fulfilling career. Just don't get injured or you will be thrown aside like trash. Don't belive all the hype about employers sweeping up ex-forces personel either because often it's the reverse and you won't even get a look in at a job.

Associate
My time in the RAF was a mix of enjoyment and disaster.

I joined the RAF in 1989 when I was 23, completed my basic training at RAF Swinderby and then onto No 4 School of Technical Training (4 S of TT) at RAF St Athans in S Wales for my mech's course. Passed that with flying colours and got posted to RAF St Mawgan in early February 1990. I loved it there and was doing very well. September 1990 I was posted to RAF Wildenwrath in W Germany, I settled in quickly and dived into my career. The only thing was that the day I got there they announced the camp was closing. July 1991 I was cross posted to RAF Bruggen attached to the bomb dump. That was a interesting time. February 1992 I was posted back to the UK and back to 4 S of TT for my fitters course setting a new record of the quickest time back after completing my mechs course. Passed with flying colours again and was posted to RAF Marham in Norfolk in late 1992. While there I was sent to Leconfield to do the Hagglunds BV 206 course which I thoroughly enjoyed. Within six months of completing my fitters course I was sent to the Falklands for my first tour and ended up on top of a mountain on West Falkland for four months (the reason for the BV course). It was ok and a good experience but the weather (Winter) was a real eye opener. Horrendous winds, ridiculous amounts of snow and crazy low temps. Did my four months and back to Marham. Over three years I failed every hearing test in my left ear but they never looked into it. I didn't like it here very much but got my 4000Lb offroad forklift and 6000Lb counterbalance licences while here. With the drawdown of personel that was happening at this time my career began to stagnate due to lack of promotion slots. Finally got posted away in late 1996 and was based at RAF Lyneham in Wiltshire on UK MAMS. While there I was stitched up for a 24 hour notice detachment to Zaire on a humanitarian relief mission. After being used as a pin cushion with multiple jabs we were airborne, around 4 hours out and the mission was cancelled so we returned to base. They actually picked up on my hearing in my left ear and sent me to have a operation to have grommets inserted. No investigation or anything, just a quick fix as I was due to go to the Falklands again. Late June 1997 I was back down the Falklands up another mountain on W Falkland. While down there I learned that upon return to the UK I was being posted back to Germany at RAF Laarbruch. Did my 4 months, got back to the UK, had my two weeks leave and got to RAF Laarbruch in November 1997.

It was here that things really went wrong for me because In January 1998 I was helping to push a 16/24 generator (big genny on a 3/4 ton trailer) into our hanger when myself and a couple of others slipped on ice and injured ourselves. I landed awkwardly and hurt my back. The other guys got away with sprains and at first that was what they thought I had done but unfortunately that wasn't the case. After a couple of weeks the pain was still with me and if anything was getting worse. They sent me for scans and found that I had crushed a disk and seriously deformed two vertebrae at C4/C5. They said that they couldn't operate on it and that I would be ok on painkillers and anti-inflammatories. They did make things bearable so I carried on. December 1998 we were home in Cornwall on leave and I woke up one morning with the left side of my face drooping. Went to A&E incase I had a mild stroke and they put it down to Bells Palsey and put me on steroids. After a couple of months my face started to return to normal. A few months later I had the worst pain imaginable in my head like someone was sticking a red hot poker in my skull. I went to the med centre and was told not to bother them with a headache. This went on for another couple of days and then I was working on a hydraulic rig and was in so much pain I couldn't concentrate any longer and with tears streaming down my face I went to have a word with my Sergeant about getting some time off. As soon as he saw me he told me to sit down and got on the phone to the med centre. Unknown to me I had blood and puss coming from my left ear but I was in so much pain I didn't feel it. Got rushed to the med centre only to be seen by the same doctor who had told me not to bother her with a headache. She actually did her job this time and said I had a perforated ear drum but sent me to hospital for further tests. It was just as well because on the scan they saw that I had a chronic infection of the inner ear which was eating into my skull and nerves (hence the droopy face at Christmas). I was sent 300 miles east to a private clinic in Bielefeld for a emergency operation. I was supposed to be in theatre for a hour and a half but this turned into three and a half hours due to the damage they needed to cut away. I was there for two weeks recovering but kept suffering from severe vertigo (still do to some extent) so was off sick for several months while my head sorted itself out. Not long after I recovered I was stiched up again and sent to Kuwait for four months (Gulf war 2) attached to RAF Germany TACSTO. While there my back started playing up again and I was put on stronger painkillers. Did my four months and back to Germany. I was finding it more and more difficult to do my job due to back pain. I had physiotherapy sessions but all I got from them was more pain. In 1999 I was medically downgraded due to having a permanent hearing loss in my left ear and my worsening back problems which put paid to any hopes of further promotion.

In July 1999 I was posted back to the UK to RAF Lossiemouth which was to be my final posting. In early 2000 I was sent to RAF Headley Court which was a recovery centre for people with chronic health problems on a three week course. With all the physical exercise and physio they put us through my back was getting worse and worse by the day. At ten days into the course I was in so much pain I ended up in a wheelchair. The next day I was called into the office to be told that they were sending me back to base with a recommendation that I be medically discharged from the RAF. A couple of months later I was called to the medical board at a camp just outside London (RAF Hendon maybe?). They confirmed my medical discharge and said that as soon as I got back to Lossie I was on indefinate medical leave. I travelled back up the same day only for the wife to tell me that she had sold my beautiful Samoyeds and was leaving me for someone else. I had just lost everything that meant anything to me on the same day. The next almost two years was a misery spent in limbo. While I was on full pay from the RAF I couldn't take another job so just waited around for a discharge date. I was offered very little in support from the RAF, next to nothing in the way of resettlement courses and nothing at all about a solution to my back. Finally I got a discharge date which was a year and eleven months after my medical board. They awarded me a disability pension and a lump sum plus I was going to also get a War Pension from the Veterans agency but at the end of the day I couldn't help but feel like I had been thrown aside, sort of here, take this money and go away.

Luckily I managed to get a job at a small engineering firm building trailers but he got greedy, expanded far too quickly and went bust in 2005 so I was made redundant. It was a blessing really as I was in serious trouble with my back now. It got so bad that I used to get home from work, curl up in the kichen and cry as the pain was so bad. I had the CSA treating me like something you scrape off your shoe by now so had to work and put up with the pain. My doctor referred me to the spinal people at the hospital and they eventually carried out a full spine scan. The damage in my lower back was now between C2 and C6 plus I had damaged vertebrae in my neck along with a crushed disk. It wasn't until 2016 that they did something about that. I had a operation to remove the disk and have a puck and titanium plate inserted which fixed my neck for a while but it's hurting again now. My back has worsened and I now have arthritus throughout the full length of my spine as well as severe hearing loss in my left ear.

At the end of the day I really enjoyed my early years in the RAF and embraced the life. I went to some "interesting" places and saw some wonderful things. Things started going downhill in the mid 90's when the drawdowns first started. Many took early retirement and there were less opportunities for advancement. At the same time fewer people and ever more commitments meant more and more time away from family and I guess I saw it less of a career and more like just a job. In all I did just over 13 years although I was signed up for 21 years. I got a good trade (mechanical engineer) out of it and many engineering qualifications although in my condition they are practically useless. The forces as a career are what you make of it. Just do the minimum and you won't enjoy it (probably won't last long either) but embrace it and explore all the opportunities on offer and it can be a highly fulfilling career. Just don't get injured or you will be thrown aside like trash. Don't belive all the hype about employers sweeping up ex-forces personel either because often it's the reverse and you won't even get a look in at a job.

Its nice to meet another TG5 member. (GTE here)

My dad was a Mover (did 35 years by the time he left) so we also spent a lot of time moving around as a child. He also spent a couple of years on UK MAMS.

I was born in Ghutersloh in Germany in 85, moved back to the uk (brize norton) in 89. Back out to Bruggen in 93, back to the uk (Lyneham) in 96, Wildenwrath in 98. Brize in 2000 then finally across to Lyneham again in 2002. My parents finally bought a house in Royal Wootton Bassett in 2004 which is where I lived until I joined in 2007. Left St Athans in 2010 and Currently on my 2nd tour at Marham with a 3 year break in the middle in Cyprus.

I also suffer with back problems courtesy of my job. I slipped a disk getting out the back of a LandRover in the Falklands in 2011. Still giving me problems 10 years down the line.

Associate
@pastymuncher

Most would say holy wall of text, Batman! However, despite your misfortune, I was humbled to read it.

I tried to multi-quote bits you said, but it failed miserably, so, from memory:

Medical camp - could it have been RAF Halton, nr Aylesbury? There was a hospital there, but I think it may have been closed by the time I got there (2001), Hendon is, asaik, just a museum now. Could be wrong.

Germany - I was an ATC cadet in the 90s. Spent summer camps at Laarburch and Bruggen. Loved every minute of it and decided to join and go to Germany. By the time I had joined, those bases had been closed/handed to the Army. Otherwise ruined.

I was also in Kuwait before and after GW2. My first, and, then standard first, deployment was to Ali-Al. Landed at something like 0100 local. Expected to be on duty at 0600 ish despite travelling from BZN, via Cyprus, Egypt and Saudi. That really ****** me off. Then, Blair decided to lick Bush's hoop and join Bush in Invading/Liberating Iraq. Permanent night shift, first three days of GW2 in an NBC suit. My 1st night off in ages got disturbed when the Yanks shot down one of our Tonkas. Perhaps we've met each other in a previous life?

Compared to yourself, I got off quite light, didn't really carry any physical injuries into Civvy Street (perhaps one or two minor mental ailments).

All the best,
FB..

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Is the snowboarding / benefits a bit like a 24/7 Gym at work? as in, BAU workload stacks up and gym time becomes an afterthought luxury? curious if there is a civvy street equivalent.

It depends on your job. Some people do almost nothing but the benefits, some people do over and above and get zero chance.

While there I was sent to Leconfield to do the Hagglunds BV 206 course which I thoroughly enjoyed. Within six months of completing my fitters course I was sent to the Falklands for my first tour and ended up on top of a mountain on West Falkland for four months (the reason for the BV course). It was ok and a good experience but the weather (Winter) was a real eye opener. Horrendous winds, ridiculous amounts of snow and crazy low temps.

I know these feels very well. Alice or Byron?

Last edited:
Soldato
Medical camp - could it have been RAF Halton, nr Aylesbury? There was a hospital there, but I think it may have been closed by the time I got there (2001)
IIRC, Halton was where all the new intakes went.
My parents lived a stone's throw from the main gate in Wendover (because the ex-ATC WO stepfather was a bit of a walt, though they live in Brize now) and I had several Rockape friends in IGDT flight.
There was a hospital there once, but that closed in the 90s. ISTR seeing signs for QARANC (or a similar string of letters implying convalescence facilities) as well, up the hill behind the main base, but I didn't live there long enough to explore and find out any more.

Associate
My parents lived a stone's throw from the main gate in Wendover (because the ex-ATC WO stepfather was a bit of a walt, though they live in Brize now) and I had several Rockape friends in IGDT flight.
There was a hospital there once, but that closed in the 90s. ISTR seeing signs for QARANC (or a similar string of letters implying convalescence facilities) as well, up the hill behind the main base, but I didn't live there long enough to explore and find out any more.

Halton is still where all the new recruits go for initial basic training. Its where I attended back in 07 prior to moving to St Athans in South Wales for Trade Training.

Associate

I was in recruit and trade training at Halton in 2001. I loved going into Wendover for a pint. RIP Rose & Crown! Been back a few times, but it's never been the same since.

Man of Honour
I know these feels very well. Alice or Byron?

Both. Alice the first time, Byron the second. Alice was the best for driving the BV's as it was all offroad. Going down the mountain to the alt heli-ops site was "interesting". Byron had a crappy gravel road that ripped the tracks to bits. Sadly both CSE shows we had while at the sites featured Bucks bloody Fizz. I got my revenge the next day though as both times the mountains were clouded in so we had to drive them down to the alt's to be picked up. After a night of beer my botty was freely pumping out gas all the way down. :D:eek:

@pastymuncher

Most would say holy wall of text, Batman! However, despite your misfortune, I was humbled to read it.

I tried to multi-quote bits you said, but it failed miserably, so, from memory:

Medical camp - could it have been RAF Halton, nr Aylesbury? There was a hospital there, but I think it may have been closed by the time I got there (2001), Hendon is, asaik, just a museum now. Could be wrong. I just checked my discharge paperwork and it was Henlow that I had my medical board.

Germany - I was an ATC cadet in the 90s. Spent summer camps at Laarburch and Bruggen. Loved every minute of it and decided to join and go to Germany. By the time I had joined, those bases had been closed/handed to the Army. Otherwise ruined. Most of the camps I got posted to ended up closing within a couple of years of me being there. It was good for my trade (Gen Tech GSE) as we got to recondition all the ground equipment to a very high standard for return to Stafford for storage. Sadly it deprived many of any chance to get posted anywhere outside the UK.

I was also in Kuwait before and after GW2. My first, and, then standard first, deployment was to Ali-Al. Landed at something like 0100 local. Expected to be on duty at 0600 ish despite travelling from BZN, via Cyprus, Egypt and Saudi. That really ****** me off. Then, Blair decided to lick Bush's hoop and join Bush in Invading/Liberating Iraq. Permanent night shift, first three days of GW2 in an NBC suit. My 1st night off in ages got disturbed when the Yanks shot down one of our Tonkas. Perhaps we've met each other in a previous life? I was at Ali Al Salem with Tac Sto and we were one of the first there as we started setting up tent city. Ours was the one next to the road on a raised concrete plinth with a metal roof over it. That really paid off the first time it rained. That place was a nightmare. Below zero at night to +45 degrees C during the day and watching the dustorms closing in was unreal. We set up all the NBC facilities and test kit along with setting up radio repeater stations in the desert one of which was near a huge junkyard of knocked out Iraqui tanks from the first war. I got stitched up for that detachment and they wouldn't even tell me where I was going. I was driven to Bruggen, stuck on a Tristar to Brize and then chucked on a Hercules for the never ending flight to Kuwait. We had a refuelling stop at Cyprus where a couple of rock apes got on who were part of the same team and they finally told me where we were going. The Aussie spec ops guys had this butch off road vehicle but had to be rescued by the Yanks after getting lost in the desert. They never lived that one down.

Compared to yourself, I got off quite light, didn't really carry any physical injuries into Civvy Street (perhaps one or two minor mental ailments).

All the best,
FB..

Soldato
I was in recruit and trade training at Halton in 2001. I loved going into Wendover for a pint. RIP Rose & Crown! Been back a few times, but it's never been the same since.
Really?
Last time I was there it pretty much comprised one pub, one small bar, a haberdashery, a mini-Budgens, a gentleman's clothiers, and two funeral directors.
It was where old people went to die.

Soldato
I feel like the sentiment in this thread about not having something to do or a purpose echo's my situation at the moment.
I trained as a shipwright (now metalsmith) in the REME (Army), but am unable to do my trade or physical activities at the moment due to breathing problems (asthma and suspected vocal cord dysfunction). This leaves me with doing office bound work, boat lifts, driving duties etc. basically all the bone taskings that are not my bread and butter trade but still need to be done. It was frustrating at first but have slowly accepted the fact that some things are inside of my control (using my spare time to reskill), and some things outside of it such as waiting times to see a consultant. The biggest frustration is not joining in all the physical and team activities that the rest of the Wksps and Regt do as it is usually really good fun.

I've had a good career so far, the metalsmith training at Bordon/ Lyneham is in depth as is the shipwright course at Sultan. Lots of AT, skiing, sailing in the Artic and the regatta over at Cowes, getting out of the workshop to do orienteering each Wednesday. STTT in Nigeria, and some detachments to other places which expanded my skills and way of working due to the independence. Lots of photography, paid extra for shooting mess dos (Sgts and WOs are especially fun). Can't complain with my time in so far, it's allowed me to buy a house and afford lots of experiences I wouldn't have otherwise done.

Soldato
There is no 'routine', one day you could be doing your day job and the next you're been told your off on Ops/Exercise for up to 6 months away from your family.
Aint that the truth, I've never really understood the whole "routine" thing. I've done just over 12 now, and I've never had a "routine" by definition, except when I've been deployed on ops.
Dont get me wrong, I'm always busy, like, very busy. More so now than in the past, so much so it gets in the way of my day to day job role, I spend more time training/teaching/ranges/driving/odd details/taskings/ops than ever these days.
I start to get the feeling that a lot of the time when squaddies get out, its the lack of tempo and the lack of variety of task that they struggle with. Granted thats from the inside looking out.

Soldato
Did 16 years in the RAF as an Aircraft Engineer. Was med discharged in 2011 would have been happy to stay for as long as possible if I could have. I miss it but I’m told it’s a different Air Force now to what I was used too.

SPG

SPG

Soldato
Did 4 years in Army fixing helicopters (don't listen to the RAF folk we all know fixed wing pilots are just failed rotary pilots and just bitter)

Had an amazing time, sorted me out gave me a direction in life. Transfer to civi life was easy as I went to uni as a mature student. In the workplace I progressed quick as it's all about getting the job done without ********. As many have said some find it abrupt and aggressive and you can't stop laughing making jokes at serious problems/issues other ex forces get it though you can always tell

Best thing I ever did as a stupid 18yr old.

Soldato
civvy life is very lazy and inefficient
This is called living, and it's something that a lot of ex-military responders in this thread seem to struggle to grasp after their service.
HAHAHAHA!!!!! if you want a perfect example of laziness and inefficiency you need look no further than the Army!!!:cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

Sounds horrible, who'd want to get shouted at everyday by some guy? Can't see why you'd sign up for that.
You know that dosnt actually happen right? It aint "Bad Lads Army"...

Man of Honour
Both. Alice the first time, Byron the second. Alice was the best for driving the BV's as it was all offroad. Going down the mountain to the alt heli-ops site was "interesting". Byron had a crappy gravel road that ripped the tracks to bits. Sadly both CSE shows we had while at the sites featured Bucks bloody Fizz. I got my revenge the next day though as both times the mountains were clouded in so we had to drive them down to the alt's to be picked up. After a night of beer my botty was freely pumping out gas all the way down. :D:eek:

I also went to both, but not officially. Byron for 4 months twice, and we drove to Alive when they jokingly put an open invite to their dining in night on BFBS. It took a while before people even questioned who we were :p Alice was (I feel wrong even saying it)... definitely a better site in terms of how it'd aged and layout, but Byron had a sort of scruffy charm :D

I wasn't working with the radar, in the end they decided to give BV duties to the junior techy and the chef... who was the only chef staff present, therefore he never drove. It was good personally to be given essentially sole responsibility for them.

I think it was probably quite a different experience for me, the site was only 13 strong (8 military), so everyone had their own rooms etc. The bar traditions (brass nights etc) were still going on on my first trip however only 18 months later it had all but disappeared, although with the new accommodation being built it likely wouldn't have lasted much longer anyway. I recall people telling stories about years before, there were so many people up there that you had to share rooms!

The bottom site was condemned for most of my time there, but we did go down there to visit penguin point. By 2012 that gravel had well and truly gone and it was just a big line of enormous rocks/boulders all the way down. I went through 6 BVs in my time there, I felt quite bad about it but then I saw the pictures of the guys who flipped one, then flipped another trying to recover the first so that made me feel better :p

Associate
Sounds horrible, who'd want to get shouted at everyday by some guy? Can't see why you'd sign up for that.

I joined the Army in 1987 and yes , there was a lot of shouting and bawling and posturing by the training staff (physical abuse too but that was the norm back then). But when you get to your unit all that shouting and screaming stops and youre just one of the lads. Occasionally one of the higher ups will want to exert his authority over you cos hes had a bad night and his missus didnt put out or his kids told him to **** off. But funnily enough it just doesnt bother you cos youve grown up and are a man now not a little whining millenial woketard.

Anyhow , when I eventually left the Army I also had medical issues caused by GW1 and the concoction of drugs served up to us before we went. My med docs mysteriously went missing when I asked for copies of them to take to a solicitor for compensation whilst waiting to leave a few years later. I was very ready to leave at the time as I had come to the end of being told what to do without questioning it. Also I had no more mental strength left to leave my wife for months on end and live out of a suitcase with hairy/smelly/drunk chaps

I joined the Fire Service in civvie street and expected it to be pretty similar in terms of it being a uniformed disciplined service. Boy that was an eye opener I can tell you. A lot of ex Forces were Firemen and a lot were being taken on for their obvious skillsets being compatible with what the FS needed. But there was a change in the wind coming and it brought with it younger people who had no life experience and were straight out of college or university and thought they knew everything. This to my mind brought in folks who lacked self discipline , drive , determination , a willingness to get the job done , laziness , insubordination and a lack of team work and caring about the person next to you. It was so frustrating that I would go home and rant to my poor missus about things like seeing people just walk passed work or not checking things were ready for the shift or leaving things dirty for the next watch. In the end I had to decide that the only way I could continue was to drop my standards (horrible thought and makes me shudder now).

I have found the last 25 years a great challenge to be around people , job wise and just out and about. In the Forces we used to just sort issues out between us and then crack on and have a beer. Couple of weeks into my fire service training a guy was being a typical whiney tart about something trivial. Gave me a gobful of abuse so I asked him round the back of the tower to sort it out if thats the way he felt. He went running off to the staff to tell on me , so that was a lesson learnt that this life was going to be a tough one. My way of living life is just not compatible with most folks so I squirrel myself away and can mostly keep myself away from triggers. Looking back the Army was the perfect life for me with routine and rules to follow and no-one getting away with being a slacker

Back
Top Bottom