Poll: ** The official Apple TV 4K thread (the 2021 model has a new remote and everything!) **

Are you buying the 4K Apple TV?

• Yes

Votes: 58 35.2%
  • No

Votes: 52 31.5%
  • Not at the moment, maybe later

Votes: 55 33.3%

• Total voters
Associate
Am I right in thinking the latest 4K Apple TV won’t do Dolby atmos etc through Plex to my Samsung N950 sound bar? Feel like I read that somewhere?

I have an Nvidia shield atm and was going to try the Apple TV but don’t want to if its not going to provide correct sound on plex

Soldato
How good is this for airplay from the iphone? I get BT sports for free with my EE contract. Would that airplay to a TV and be watchable or upscaled it would look like a bag of garbage?

Soldato
This’ll be old news to most no doubt but I just discovered that Apple Music has music video channels that I can play through Apple TV and output the audio to my Homepods in the same room. Years ago I used to love having MTV on in the background but got sick of the adverts. Now I can have music videos with decent audio and no Geordie Shore adverts every five minutes.

And in the day, that same setup plays my Fitness+ videos. I’m very pleased with it.

Man of Honour
How good is this for airplay from the iphone? I get BT sports for free with my EE contract. Would that airplay to a TV and be watchable or upscaled it would look like a bag of garbage?
You need to pay extra for the big screen package to be able to watch it on a TV. It’s still far cheaper than BR Sport direct though, although the quality on yen ‘extra’ channels can be questionable!

Soldato
You need to pay extra for the big screen package to be able to watch it on a TV. It’s still far cheaper than BR Sport direct though, although the quality on yen ‘extra’ channels can be questionable!

okay thanks, if that’s the case I’d be as well just buying it via sky then. It doesn’t cost me anything to have it on my phone so I can see why they’d want to prevent me watching it on the telly.

Associate
OP
okay thanks, if that’s the case I’d be as well just buying it via sky then. It doesn’t cost me anything to have it on my phone so I can see why they’d want to prevent me watching it on the telly.

DDB348-EC-299-D-488-A-A7-D5-B20-E5-BBA55-BE.jpg

Don’t know how much it is via Sky but this is what I get in the EE app…

Man of Honour
It’ll cost you a fiver a month and it’s significantly cheaper than getting it through Sky.

Soldato
Checked the app, only an extra £10 a month for me.

Probably not worth it with the CL only having a few more games left and the final will be broadcast for free. Think i'll leave it for now.

Associate
my home is full of Amazon Fire's (combo of 4k and boxes) but i'm hating the new interface and would love to try the apple fitness + service. is it worthy of an upgrade?

The wife uses Apple Fitness+ daily and absolutely loves it. I use it for the rowing workouts too and its really good. Obviously you need an Apple Watch for it to work but assuming you know that :)

Man of Honour
my home is full of Amazon Fire's (combo of 4k and boxes) but i'm hating the new interface and would love to try the apple fitness + service. is it worthy of an upgrade?
My mrs and I use Apple Fitness and for the £79 a year (I think that's what I paid) for us both it seems an utter bargain as our local gym charges that per month for one of it.

Associate
yep -
The wife uses Apple Fitness+ daily and absolutely loves it. I use it for the rowing workouts too and its really good. Obviously you need an Apple Watch for it to work but assuming you know that :)
yep my wife and i both have AW 6's so think it would be a good fit for us. i struggled get the Fitness + working on my ipad and was quite frankly too small to use, but seemed to sort it when I sorted out my icloud accounts. By that time my 3 month free trial had expired.

Just seems so much money just for that functionality when the Fire TV's do everything else.

Associate
OP
yep -

yep my wife and i both have AW 6's so think it would be a good fit for us. i struggled get the Fitness + working on my ipad and was quite frankly too small to use, but seemed to sort it when I sorted out my icloud accounts. By that time my 3 month free trial had expired.

Just seems so much money just for that functionality when the Fire TV's do everything else.

It’s worth the extra just getting rid of all the ads.

I’ve tried them all and when it’s all said and done, the family always come back to the Apple TV. It really is (IMO) the best streaming device on the market.

Associate
Am I right in thinking the latest 4K Apple TV won’t do Dolby atmos etc through Plex to my Samsung N950 sound bar? Feel like I read that somewhere?

I have an Nvidia shield atm and was going to try the Apple TV but don’t want to if its not going to provide correct sound on plex

Won't know till it's released/someone get's their hands on one. Would bet there are a lot of people waiting to hear if apps can pass through Atmos/DTS-HD...

Man of Honour
Won't know till it's released/someone get's their hands on one. Would bet there are a lot of people waiting to hear if apps can pass through Atmos/DTS-HD...
It's not really important though if you have the right amp, you get the same sound but you just don't get the shiny logo lighting up.

Soldato
It seems that our roku stick in the bedroom is on its way out. What’s the difference between an Apple TV against a roku or amazon fire stick? Or is it just another portal for the likes of Netflix et al.?

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
It seems that our roku stick in the bedroom is on its way out. What’s the difference between an Apple TV against a roku or amazon fire stick? Or is it just another portal for the likes of Netflix et al.?

Apple TV fits nicely into the ecosystem if you’re already in. It’s also pretty performant.

Back
Top Bottom