Violence in Selfridges and "drill music"

Soldato
I've never used urban youth as a phrase in my life so I'm genuinely interested what you were trying to convey by saying it. I'm unclear why you are dodging what should be a basic question :confused:

I'd link to it's definition on urban dictionary but it's got a bit of naughty racist language in it

Caporegime
OP
I've never used urban youth as a phrase in my life so I'm genuinely interested what you were trying to convey by saying it. I'm unclear why you are dodging what should be a basic question :confused:

Im just bemused that you don’t know what words mean, to be clear though there isn’t any deeper meaning here. As I’ve already explained I’m obviously referring to elderly people living in the countryside!

Soldato
Im just bemused that you don’t know what words mean, to be clear though there isn’t any deeper meaning here. As I’ve already explained I’m obviously referring to elderly people living in the countryside!
I'm not sure why you are unable to answer the basic question. It isn't exactly the websters definition you are meaning, is it? Selfridges would have sufficed to indicate they're in a city :cry:

Man of Honour
Sure... seems like an easier way might be to not join a gang, stay in school and then get some qualifications but I guess he's got some rather dubious role models.

Some times it's easier said than done, not every gang memeber wakes up one day and decides to go join a gang. It becomes especially complicated when you have family ties to a gang, you get associated with them regardless of if you're actually in the gang.

Music is a proven way out of that life.

This all seems massively flawed, I'm aware of the capacity for this stuff to be a moral panic, I don't believe that music itself makes people violent any more than say violent video games. The issue here perhaps though is the culture surrounding this type of music, that lots of this stuff relies on the reputation of the individuals or groups creating it. It doesn't appear to be something that is necessarily conditional on raw musical talent, rather if you're a member of a known gang and that gang has some credibility then that seems to be a significant part of the marketing in the drill scene ergo it seems pretty flawed as a way to escape gang stuff.

Anyone can make music and say what they want in their songs, there's plenty of rappers in UK hip hop/rap that have left 'the life' and have developed into very talented artists who actually spend a lot of time working on social issues to prevent people making the same mistakes they did. Drill is simply a genre of music, it's the way you flow, the instruments, and the way a beat is put together, that's not dependant on violence, you can say what you want. The more talented artists/producers do actually rise to the top of the scene, the content of the songs change slightly and that person doesn't have to continue living whatever life they lead when they started making the music.

Caporegime
It means Stabby black kids. I'll throw myself under the bus for the sake of this nonsense.

Urban eludes to "black" youth, usually pronounced yoof or yute depending if you want some Jamaican twang.

If you don't know this or have never come across this then you're not from London.
Was a big saying in the 90s when gangster rap was the latest thing to destroy kids minds.

It's probably illegal to say now, deeply racist etc. Sorry if it made anyone cry.

Soldato
It means Stabby black kids. I'll throw myself under the bus for the sake of this nonsense.

Urban eludes to "black" youth, usually pronounced yoof or yute depending if you want some Jamaican twang.

If you don't know this or have never come across this then you're not from London.
Was a big saying in the 90s when gangster rap was the latest thing to destroy kids minds.
I lived in London for 9 years, never heard of it. This definition seems most likely. I see why @dowie was uncomfortable answering the question now.

Associate

It's probably illegal to say now, deeply racist etc. Sorry if it made anyone cry.

This is one of the things that I agree with you on. I live in Newham, and worked in a Lewisham school for almost 6 years so I have heard and experienced first hand some of these issues. Due to the demographic makeup of these areas its just natural that a lot of these gangs will be consisting of the youths that mostly live in these areas.

Although its not perfect I agree with police profiling and targeted stop and searches, as long as the Police then treat people with respect that are not aggressive towards them I do not see it as an issue whatsoever. You will have the bad apple in the Police but I am pretty sure most are not like the right wing nutter that was sentenced recently.
Its a fact there are gang issues and knife violence in London, as it is in other parts of the country (someone linked a video of yobs in Edinburgh? train station harassing the public).
The problem is extremists on either side using the example of the few to tarnish the whole group and push their own agendas to the public.

Caporegime
I lived in London for 9 years, never heard of it. This definition seems most likely. I see why @dowie was uncomfortable answering the question now.

Translates to;

Someone has said something that fits my preconceived prejudices. This must therefore be correct and all other probable answers are wrong. Dowie is a bad man. Bad dowie. Bad.

Capodecina
Soldato
Translates to;

Someone has said something that fits my preconceived prejudices. This must therefore be correct and all other probable answers are wrong. Dowie is a bad man. Bad dowie. Bad.

Additionally, if dowie was not referring to this definition, or was not even aware of it, he still meant it this way. And any protestations on his part are further evidence of his guilt.

Soldato
It's quite common on this forum for people to attack the man not the problem. But here we see someone trying to find a way to attack the man. Amazing.

Back
Top Bottom