• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Using Max Vram 3080

Associate
Hi, apoligies if this is in the wrong thread as i'm unsure whether this issue is a driver issue or game related or even possible problem with my card.

I have a 3080 Nvidia founders card, mainly play warzone, battlefield ect.

I'm running an I9 9900k no overclock turned off resizable bar in bios(but have updated GPU bios)
32gb ddr4 @3600
850w superflower psu
34 inch ultrawide @144hz
Windows up to date.
Latest Nvidia drivers 466.27

Since last Friday i've noticed massive frame drops from a usual 180ish fps with DLSS enabled to now anything from 30-160 fps, usually around 80 but jumps either way.
My temps have dropped at the same time from a usual 72 degrees to 62 which is great but now my games seem to lag. VRAM hits 90-92 degrees.

I've used HWMonitor, MSI Afterburner and NVIDA Inspector to see whats going on and can see that i'm somehow using 9.5-10GB memory usage in most of the games i'm playing,Metro Exodus/COD/Battlefield even Age Of Empires online uses 5Gb which is 10 year old game...

https://media.discordapp.net/attach...6653799211038/image0.jpg?width=728&height=546

Now I thought it was just me, however i guy I play warzone with has a 3090 and his usage using the same monitoring tools was hitting 23.5 GB of memory usage In Warzone.

So I just wondered if anyone was having similar issues, whether it could be the Nvidia drivers?, something to do with the resize bar update?, just the games i'm playing?
I haven't rolled back my Nvidia drivers yet to try that, just kinda hoping theres something else that I may have missed.

Any advice is welcome. Thank you.

Associate
This happened to me a lot a while ago. I cant remember if it caused a crash or not but what it made me do was download a program from koshyjohn called memory cleaner, it clears your memory cache every 5mins or so and sorted the problem for me. Just give that a try, it's a tiny program and as far as I'm aware doesn't have any bloat connected to it. I have it auto start whenever my pc.is turned on now.

Associate
Games can use extra memory as a cache if it's available.

What's the GPU usage like, close to 100%?

As a test reduce some settings and see what it's like.

Associate
OP
This happened to me a lot a while ago. I cant remember if it caused a crash or not but what it made me do was download a program from koshyjohn called memory cleaner, it clears your memory cache every 5mins or so and sorted the problem for me. Just give that a try, it's a tiny program and as far as I'm aware doesn't have any bloat connected to it. I have it auto start whenever my pc.is turned on now.
Thanks m8, i'll give that a go later when I get home :)

Associate
OP
Games can use extra memory as a cache if it's available.

What's the GPU usage like, close to 100%?

As a test reduce some settings and see what it's like.
GPU usage is around 95-99% i've tried turning a few things off in the warzone settings, tried full screen/borderless ect and doesn't seem to have any effect, if it was just Warzone I would just put it down to that but because its doing it in other games as well
i'm pretty sure theres more to it.
The VRAM usage has been 6-7Gb max with the game settings to max since ive had the card...Raytracing is off aswell. Just seems really weird to be using that much...maybe i need a 3090 to run warzone at 1440p lol.

Soldato
Did you update that driver last friday? Or windows. If your system is running well, unless there is a specific game or windows fix you suffer then dont update drivers all the time. Same for Windows - I only do windows every quarter.

Associate
OP
Did you update that driver last friday? Or windows. If your system is running well, unless there is a specific game or windows fix you suffer then dont update drivers all the time. Same for Windows - I only do windows every quarter.
I'm pretty sure i updated both on Friday, my system seems stable and fine no crashes ect, just simply a gaming vram issue...the problems did all start on friday...so i'm pretty sure it is a windows or driver issue. Just kinda wondered if anyone else was having the same issue. I'll roll back the gpu drivers later and install that memory clear program later.
Thank you guys for the advice :)

Associate
Many of those tools when using default setups might record vRAM in use, which includes vRAM shared by other applications. And so I'd be concerned that something on your system is eating up a lot of vRAM running in the background. CTRL+ALT+DEL and run task manager, look at GPU usage across all the processes and see if anything is using a significant amount. Also read up on the MSI Afterburners new memory usage counters, there's now finer grained memory usage metrics which will show what is really in use by any specific game and you want to really be looking at that. It'd be very strange for many different games to be doing thing at the same time, it points to some common element like a 3rd party app messing about, a crashed tab maybe in chrome which is using the GPU to accelerate video decoding, or like a virus that installs a miner onto the computer or something of that nature.

Back
Top Bottom