Views on Shed Value for money

Soldato
Am considering it. But I know it will consume significant amounts of time, which I will struggle to find.

I find most of the hard work is in the design, which can be done at your desk on dinner breaks etc. There's some really good YouTube channels where you can pick loads of advice.

I'm currently studding out my garage, bought an impact driver, drill, chop saw and nail gun for around £600. I needed the drills anyway, and £300 was the nail gun which I plan to use and abuse this summer on a few projects and sell on for £225-250. I was never a DIY guy but It's scary how quickly you can put things together with the right kit

Associate
OP
I find most of the hard work is in the design, which can be done at your desk on dinner breaks etc. There's some really good YouTube channels where you can pick loads of advice.

I'm currently studding out my garage, bought an impact driver, drill, chop saw and nail gun for around £600. I needed the drills anyway, and £300 was the nail gun which I plan to use and abuse this summer on a few projects and sell on for £225-250. I was never a DIY guy but It's scary how quickly you can put things together with the right kit

Yeah I have been watching lots of YouTube videos, and they do make it look easy. But sometimes I find simple things (like sawing straight) really bug me. I agree that having the correct tools is a must. I use my impact driver a lot and would not be without it. I also need to buy a decent bench saw, as even using a circular saw freehand is a bit hit and miss.

Associate
OP
I’m firmly in the you get what you pay for camp.

I bought a Beast shed, they deliver and install it, I did the base and guttering.

Thanks for the link. I think I have seen this place before, but forgotten about it. A 22mm clad beast is tempting. Shame that the website does not seem to mention delivery times scales.
I think it’s more solid than some of my house :)

http://www.beastsheds.co.uk/

Associate
OP
I’m firmly in the you get what you pay for camp.

I bought a Beast shed, they deliver and install it, I did the base and guttering.

I think it’s more solid than some of my house :)

http://www.beastsheds.co.uk/

Had a chat to them, they are looking at 10 to 12 weeks delivery.. can live with that. And for the same price as the tiger shed I was looking at the cladding is thicker as is the framing. So looks to be better value.

Had a look on trust pilot and the reviews are confusing. Lots of people seemingly giving 5 stars after order, but before delivery!!

Soldato
I put a shed up earlier this year. 10' X 8' shiplap apex with windows, it was delivered within a week. 800 quid IIRC, from Elbec garden buildings.

Been up a few months, no complaints.

Soldato
Hello peeps,

Looking to buy a shed, and have converged on a 9×6 from Tiger Sheds, but costing £1,500.

https://www.tigersheds.com/product/tiger-elite-pressure-treated-apex-shed/#prodDesc

Currently of the mindset that if I pay more now for a beefy shed, it will save me replacing it again in 10 years...

But it does seem some bloody expensive.

So the question is... does team OCUK think this represents value for money over a more basic and more flimsy shed?

It will most be for storage, the occasional bit of work, and electrics for a number bits in the garden. But then again if its nice it may end up making it a cider factory...

Thanks

Be careful with Tiger Sheds, I had an order due for delivery at the start of the week and I'm still waiting (it was ordered and paid for about 12 weeks ago). The courier company have said they don't know when they can get it to me, and Tiger have decided to send an email saying it's been delivered regardless.

I think it'll be credit card chargeback time as their customer service is non existent, I think it's basically one person manning the phone.

Associate
OP
Be careful with Tiger Sheds, I had an order due for delivery at the start of the week and I'm still waiting (it was ordered and paid for about 12 weeks ago). The courier company have said they don't know when they can get it to me, and Tiger have decided to send an email saying it's been delivered regardless.

I think it'll be credit card chargeback time as their customer service is non existent, I think it's basically one person manning the phone.

Thanks for the info. Not pulled the trigger on anything yet due to indecision!

Sounds a bit crap that they claim delivery when they have not done so. Does sound like it will be a hard one to fight and win, especially as the courier admits they still have it. Hope it works out!

Soldato
I wouldn't pay that sort of money for 9x6. I have a shiplap tiger shed that I payed 550 for and it's way way to small. Store more than a lawnmower and some shelves and garden tools and your falling over stuff.
Mine is crammed so full I can barely get in it.

Associate
I have to say I'm surprised they are advertising this as 'tanalised' as it has been banned since 2003 ! Other treatments are available and you should find out what they are as some of them will eat metal fixings very quickly, and in that case you need to know what exactly they have used or your shed will far apart from metal fatigue before the wood fails.

And that's another wonder because they don't say what the wood is. Larch would be the best, and it's very rot resistant, but it's expensive, then there's redwood which is the wood I'd most expect them to use, but again you need to know before you buy.

Plastic is another option you might want to investigate as it doesn't rot at all.

Man of Honour
I'm wanting to join the shed gang. It'll be sat on Cotswold stone, I presume that would be fine as a 'base'? Any other recommendations beyond what's been suggested here? I would go with a Tiger Shed but my mrs doesn't like the colour. :cry::rolleyes:

Man of Honour
My 12 year old shed (shiplap 6x4) is knackered, starting to rot which has been compounded by some of the felt coming off the roof and now the perspex window is shot. Kind of concluded that I'm not going to bother patching it up, and it should be replaced. Checking my email it cost about £183 so not too fussed about that.

Looking at these delivery times it sounds like I ought to get on with it to have a chance of it being put up before the bad weather sets in. One issue is I had a solid base installed but it will probably be too small for a bigger shed (would like something a bit bigger but not massively bigger, we have a small garden).

Last edited:
Soldato
I paid £1800 for a 5*12 recently with double doors at both ends. Expensive but it's a lovely shed and arrived fast too. I got it from Albany sheds, I used their shed builder 3D tool. Very much recommended.

Back
Top Bottom