Land Line Loser

Associate
I have managed with old fashioned copper broadband but I fear that the provider is choking off the tap in order to push me onto fibre. The thing is that taking fibre means losing the landline. Most of my friends are older generation who don’t have mobile phones let alone unlimited minutes. Am I missing something?

Soldato
You still get internet through your landline even with fibre, unless you're talking about fibre to the house which is not widely available. What makes you think you're being choked?

Associate
OP
I live in a rural area. If I have fibre it would be direct to house so I could get the fastest connection - but I don’t want it. EE say that if I switch to fibre I can’t have a landline - presumably because they must replace the whole line.

Soldato
You still get internet through your landline even with fibre, unless you're talking about fibre to the house which is not widely available. What makes you think you're being choked?
Fibre to the house (fttp) is quite common now.

You'll still get an option for a landline (with BT, maybe not all providers) that could be via a copper cable alongside the fibre cable or a digital VoIP style over the fibre/internet connection.

Soldato
You could still have a VoIP "land line" via Vonage or something similar. Obviously it's not going to work when the power's out though!

Associate
OP
Two years ago my contract was with BT. When due for renewal they said that they wouldn’t unless I switched to fibre. I changed to EE (!) but that contract expired last week. I insisted on staying on standard broadband since when I an convinced that my speed has dropped.

Soldato
I live in a rural area. If I have fibre it would be direct to house so I could get the fastest connection - but I don’t want it. EE say that if I switch to fibre I can’t have a landline - presumably because they must replace the whole line.

EE don't offer a landline with FTTP but they are the exception. Change provider.

Soldato
Fibre to the house (fttp) is quite common now.

You'll still get an option for a landline (with BT, maybe not all providers) that could be via a copper cable alongside the fibre cable or a digital VoIP style over the fibre/internet connection.
Quite common except not when measured :cry: it must be less than 10% of total endpoints? Not common at all. Lucky that the OP says he can get it.

Associate
OP
Change to whom? Neither BT/EE will allow me to keep my landline. Who else is there? Talktalk? Do me a favour. I think it’s terrible that all of the friends of mine are going to be whacked with massive land line to mobile call charges.

Soldato
Change to whom? Neither BT/EE will allow me to keep my landline. Who else is there? Talktalk? Do me a favour. I think it’s terrible that all of the friends of mine are going to be whacked with massive land line to mobile call charges.

From what I'm reading BT do offer a landline but it is a bit confusing so maybe I'm wrong. Is sky available as an option?

As others have mentioned you can go voip and still use your existing home phones with an aditional 'ATA' box which seem to go for under £100:

List of providers here: https://www.ukvoipforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=6

Soldato
Aside from the fact most FTTP providers will give you a 'landline' they can call, even if they don't just sign up for a free sipgate account to give yourself a 'landline' number your friends can call if you need to. Install a free app on your mobile or computer and it won't cost them anything beyond calling you now and you can enjoy clearer conversations hopefully and more portability as well. They can call your 'landline' and you can take it on your mobile while out and about https://www.sipgatebasic.co.uk/

I am also skeptical any provider is choking you to force you to move. Even if they are, you're in a lovely position of being able to get better broadband and as outlined can make it so it has no effect on your friends calling you so I don't really see anything to be upset about. I wish my area could be FTTP enabled - I'd jump long before I was pushed.

Man of Honour
we've had FTTP installed and they ran an overhead copper and fiber pair to the house. Apparently the plan is to remove the copper at some point and put a phone point into the fiber router (using VOIP) but thats a little way off.

Caporegime
BT will let you keep your phone number, which is surely the only important part here. They won't keep your phone service coming in via copper because they need to work towards shutting that network down.

Back
Top Bottom