• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

First GeForce RTX 3080/3070 LHR graphics cards go official

Caporegime
I think the real reason for them to do this is to prevent the flooding of second hand cards if the bubble pops.

Gamers are more likely to hold onto cards or skip a generation. Crypto will get rid of cards fairly quickly if not profitable.

Nvidia will sell probably all the cards regardless of limiters, but the 4xxx series might be a bit hurt if there is a massive supply for 3xxx for cheap.

Yup mining cards will all be in the landfill when the bubble bursts.

Soldato
Would never buy a gimped card. I leave my card mining overnight and have already recovered half the cost of my 3080FE in less than 3 months. Why should a manufacturer dictate what a card can or can't do??

bru

bru

Soldato
Actually the chip shortage is affecting cars... so who knows if this went on long enough maybe you couldnt just walk in and buy a car.

And my ridiculous example might sound that way now. But what if over the years, other 'uses' for these cards are deemed just as bad as mining is?
And people 'cry out' for something to be done?

Lets take another silly idea.... what if card supply was extremely low, and everybody is playing CoD, buying all the cards they can to play this game.
Gamers of other games cant get a card, so ask for specific only "CoD cards" to work for CoD. Others cards to be limted when CoD is detected.
Its a totally silly situation, but my point is once you start being OK with manufactures limiting certain workloads, it sets the precedent that consumers are ok with this.

As I said, Id sure love for mining on GPUs to be a think of the past too. I just dont think this is the way we are going to get there. For one, I think it wont be long till a work around is found, and for two another crypto will be along to take ETHs place...

Although it sounds like a horrendous situation, I think we can all see that, it is a a slippery slope that we don't want them going down.

Of course what hasn't been mentioned here is that this situation already exists, with the professional cards being unlocked for full double precision workloads.

Permabanned
I think that is an unfortunate side affect yes. But if we allow manufactures to dictate use like this, where does it end?

To take the argument to ridiculous level....what if nVidida limited cards to specific games? "oh you want to play the latest CoD, you need the RTX6080 CoD, otherwise framerate limited by 50%"

What im trying to say is...today that limit might be something we can all get behind. I think cards being used for mining is terrible (waste of cards, electric etc) but what if the next day its not?
What if its video encoding next? or some other 'normal' use?

:cry: you want to play RDR2 limited by 50% unless you pay a fee :cry::cry::eek:

Soldato
I think the real reason for them to do this is to prevent the flooding of second hand cards if the bubble pops.

Gamers are more likely to hold onto cards or skip a generation. Crypto will get rid of cards fairly quickly if not profitable.

Nvidia will sell probably all the cards regardless of limiters, but the 4xxx series might be a bit hurt if there is a massive supply for 3xxx for cheap.

This makes no sense. All the current 3080 cards will still be sold by miners to gamers, it's not like gaming performance has been gimped on existing cards. All this is doing is narrowing the present market for Nvidia which if you were a shareholder you would not be happy about.

Soldato
This makes no sense. All the current 3080 cards will still be sold by miners to gamers, it's not like gaming performance has been gimped on existing cards. All this is doing is narrowing the present market for Nvidia which if you were a shareholder you would not be happy about.
I think the shareholders would rather Nvidia sell the CMP cards to miners so when the bubble bursts the miners can't sell them back to gamers and gamers instead have to buy from nvidia.

Associate
The current LHR cards will not be held by miners so a LHR card will not go through what you described?

Thought that’s pretty easy to understand?

Nvidia will run out of stock for cards regardless so it does not matter for shareholders. Small miners will not buy the CMP cards regardless, however I guess that can incentivise large ops to buy CMP cards even more? Not like they would easily buy enough pallets of 3060tis at the moment.

Associate
The limiting thing is just them trying to sound like they are for the gamer (the more vocal consumer) there are obviously more sales to be made from selling to miners than their are for selling to gamers. They do this just to fool us into thinking they are with us. If they limit the cards they will more than likely take more cards from the allocation and make them just for miners as we are sure miners wont be making claims on warranty so once its sold its not coming back after a few months.

If miners come to sell their cards once the crash happens and they are all on the second hand market would it not force nvidia and AMD to make the next lot of cards a lot better so we go for them rather than the second hand ones? I know it's not good if you want a card now, and tbh I didn't really want one until I realised I couldn't get one.

Associate
ITT : people still waiting for the crypto bubble to burst. Been what? 6 months since i heard that?

also ITT: talking about 4xxx series when you still cant get a 3xxx series atm. Also price 4 times the MSRP

****’s so sad

Associate
Didn't nVidia basically do the cracking work for the miners by releasing a beta driver that didn't have the lock in-place?

I am not a fan of limiters on specific workloads. Firstly cause I dont think its the manufactures place to dictate what you do with there product, and secondly because I dont think it works.
These things will be worked around.

What if car manufacture stated you could use your car as a taxi? And somehow came up with a way to "block" that? Or you cant use it off-road?

In my eyes the manufacture should build the device and state its intended use. Then they can possibly reject warranty claims for proven misuse. (IE driving off-road all the time and cracking the oil sump in the car example...)

Not a fan either, but what choice do they have when we've seen what happens when consumer graphics cards are released without controls/limiters? Wasting valuable resources and chipsets so they can afford themselves a gold toilet.

And car manufacturers are doing something about climate change and waste, so it's not unusual to see Nvidia doing something about it too, even if it is likely in vain.

My main concern is that this limiter will affect games, I don't think anyone has explained fully that this won't be the case. I expect the usual youtubers to do a feature on it once these cards are in the wild (and assuming it doesn't just get craked really easily).

Associate
Hi guys I'm an avid miner - I ordered a 3080rtx last October through OCs and looks like I should get delivery pretty soon as I'm 7 in the queue. My concern is will this card when it arrives be crippled? Are they nerfing all 3080rtx's even if ordered from last year?

Associate
Hi guys I'm an avid miner - I ordered a 3080rtx last October through OCs and looks like I should get delivery pretty soon as I'm 7 in the queue. My concern is will this card when it arrives be crippled? Are they nerfing all 3080rtx's even if ordered from last year?

nobody knows for sure but the rumour is that they are only producing only limited cards now

Permabanned
I also reckon gamers would not want to bu

Nvidia said they are crippling mining on their new 3-Series cards. They did that for the 3060.

Soldato
Because they make it :confused:

It's like a car manufacturer adding a speed limit to a car they sell. I'm pretty sure most people would never accept such a limit on a car but it seems many people are perfectly happy for Nvidia to control what they do with their gpu's. I certainly wouldn't buy any card with a limit on it.

Permabanned
It's like a car manufacturer adding a speed limit to a car they sell. I'm pretty sure most people would never accept such a limit on a car but it seems many people are perfectly happy for Nvidia to control what they do with their gpu's. I certainly wouldn't buy any card with a limit on it.

Nvidia are slowly digging themselves in to a pit. Intel is making Gaming GPUs soon.

Associate
There are cars where the top speed is capped?

If things carry on as they are now, a mining limit on gaming cards and separate mining cards might be the future.

Back
Top Bottom