Violence in Selfridges and "drill music"

Soldato
Some people just try and deflect, people like the one above just come here to deflect away from the problem and throw the racism card around to get a rise from others. They then have the gall to claim others are the ones always going on about race.

Caporegime
OP
Some people just try and deflect, people like the one above just come here to deflect away from the problem and throw the racism card around to get a rise from others. They then have the gall to claim others are the ones always going on about race.

Race wasn't even mentioned in the OP but just look at the post above yours and you'll see someone trying to make up an argument to argue against, seemingly incapable of actually discussing what has been presented.

I guess people with a binary view on some subject or other tend to project that way of thinking on others too, it's particularly naive. Black youths are of course more heavily represented among urban youths than the wider population, that doesn't imply that all urban youths are black youths, likewise, gang violence involving urban youths isn't exclusively black just because black youths are disproportionately represented.

Of course, these gangs usually commit crime, that's literally part of the culture of the gang and indeed drill music scene they're involved in.

Soldato
Race wasn't even mentioned in the OP but just look at the post above yours and you'll see someone trying to make up an argument to argue against, seemingly incapable of actually discussing what has been presented.

I guess people with a binary view on some subject or other tend to project that way of thinking on others too, it's particularly naive. Black youths are of course more heavily represented among urban youths than the wider population, that doesn't imply that all urban youths are black youths, likewise, gang violence involving urban youths isn't exclusively black just because black youths are disproportionately represented.

Of course, these gangs usually commit crime, that's literally part of the culture of the gang and indeed drill music scene they're involved in.

The only questions you have asked are around the identity of the rapper and the quality of the rap. I don't know who he is, and I don't like rap (I prefer country, metal and indie) so to me it's not good music. If this is what the discussion you wanted to discuss, why post in GD and not the music forum?

My question to you is why have you presented all the other comments if that is what you want to discuss? I suspect it's because you don't want to talk about the identity of the rapper or the quality of his rap, I think you want to push an agenda that the usual activity of young black men is one of crime. Which isn't true. Of course, they commit crime, but it's not their usual activity. Most of their usual activity would probably be hanging around, not doing much at all. Much like we probably all did in our younger years.
Even if I take you at your word, which I don't, which you claim "urban youth" wasn't meant as 'black youth' then it's still nonsense to suggest that young people who live in cities spend their time usually fighting in Selfridges.

Caporegime
OP
The thread wasn’t posted in the music forum because the music itself isn’t the subject, I don’t know why you’re not able to understand that? As for the rest, try responding to what was actually posted instead of engaging in some attempt at mind reading.

Soldato
It hasn’t changed, but it has been expanded. Is dictionary.com an acceptable source for you?

It’s perfectly ok to say, “ah, I hadn’t heard that usage before but I understand it is a reasonable interpretation”. Instead of putting your fingers in your ears and pretending you are always right.

32-CA093-D-4883-4023-8894-8-DAA7-E88-C324.png
My take is that the usage in the OP was somewhere between (or both of) 4 and 5. It certainly didn't refer to 'young people in cities' in general. But this doesn't necessarily make it offensive or prejudicial. The fact is that a subculture does exist that the people in this video are evidently a part of.

Isn't that the whole damn argument in a nutshell? Some people think it's contentious i.e. dLockers, and thought by getting dowie to "admit" that it in some way related more to black kids that would make it a racist statement.

In fact now I read again:

nature is healing now in London, things are starting to open up and the black kids are up to their antics again

Doesn't sound good at all. I guess the nuance is that in this context, "urban" relates to those who would choose a path of violence and criminality rather than just black kids in general. Which would make it a lot less bad.

Now, are these urban youths part of this subculture by choice or circumstance is where the nuance goes deeper.

So it's actually not that surprising there's do much discussion, because there is actually quite a lot to unpack in those 2 words.

Soldato
The thread wasn’t posted in the music forum because the music itself isn’t the subject, I don’t know why you’re not able to understand that? As for the rest, try responding to what was actually posted instead of engaging in some attempt at mind reading.

But that’s what you asked? I quoted your questions. They were asking about the ID of the rapper and the quality of the music.

We either take it all as it is stated which means that you meant urban youth as young people who live in an urban environment and you wanted to discuss the quality of a rappers music because that’s the questions you asked.

Or, you want to discuss something else. If so, what would you like to discuss?

Caporegime
OP
But that’s what you asked? I quoted your questions. They were asking about the ID of the rapper and the quality of the music.
If you think this thread is about the quality of the music then I don’t believe there is anything to discuss with you tbh..

Soldato
If you think this thread is about the quality of the music then I don’t believe there is anything to discuss with you tbh..

No, of course it isn’t. It’s about you trying to push another racist thread. You clearly meant “black people up to their usual antics” suggesting their usual antics was crime. If that’s not racist, I’m not sure what is.

Man of Honour
Haha, I'm from a small village in Essex originally but I lived in Beckenham and Sidcup for about 4 years and then moved out to (Royal) Tunbridge Wells where I still live.

I am under no illusions that I have never and will never be a londoner.

Tunbridge Wells is an excellent place as I recall, I quite like it around Frant.
Don’t despair, perhaps you can marry a Londoner, and eventually become naturalised!
I was born in London, but I’m proud of my French blood, I married a girl from Peckham, and initially her family bristled, due to the fact that I occasionally watched West Ham play.
I got past that, but if France ever beat England at anything, they make my life a misery.

Man of Honour

We either take it all as it is stated which means that you meant urban youth as young people who live in an urban environment and you wanted to discuss the quality of a rappers music because that’s the questions you asked.

Or, you want to discuss something else. If so, what would you like to discuss?

***deleted post quote removed***

I do think you’re being unfair now and that last comment is particularly unfair. The thread is a platform that invites others for discussion and dowie gave his views for others to respond to. Our responses to a topic are not limited to any questions expressly asked.

I acknowledge that there are some sensitivities around the word ‘urban’ (which I was previously unaware) but you should acknowledge that the offensive inference is down as a euphemism and at number 5 in your screenshot from dictionary.com and is not necessarily the only inference. Dowie has also now expressly confirmed that he did not mean to use it as a slur.

It’s good that you are calling out things as you see them, but I do not think the ‘assumption of deliberate malicious intent’ is very helpful. Nor is any goading by anyone, for that matter.

Last edited by a moderator:

fez

fez

Caporegime
Tunbridge Wells is an excellent place as I recall, I quite like it around Frant.
Don’t despair, perhaps you can marry a Londoner, and eventually become naturalised!
I was born in London, but I’m proud of my French blood, I married a girl from Peckham, and initially her family bristled, due to the fact that I occasionally watched West Ham play.
I got past that, but if France ever beat England at anything, they make my life a misery.

Its very nice. Lots of nice places around here and its quick to get out into the countryside proper as well.

My partner is Beckenham born and raised so I'm sure she would say she was london. I'm half Irish but I was born here so whenever its a choice between England and Ireland its an easy one much to my mothers ire.

Soldato
Let's not pretend dowie wanted to talk about the issue. Indeed, the only three questions he asked were around the identity and quality of the guys rapping. Which begs the question, if it was about that why did he not post it in the music forum?

Dowie isn't an idiot, I suspect that he knew full well that "urban youth" in the context he presented it was a derogative word for black people. Add to this his use of "their usual antics" it's quite clear he was making a statement that black youths "usually" commit crime and this is what they usually get up to. Which is clearly wrong, unless you happen to side with the racists.

I think it's quite clear that he wanted to stoke that fire and make another race thread. For why? Well, you can draw your own conclusions but the usual suspects have certainly enjoyed their day out in it!

So, what are we actually here to discuss dowie? Why not edit your OP to remove the uncertainty and the obvious race baiting?

Look at his history. He starts many threads to discuss crimes committed by ethnic minorities, it’s a real keen focus of his bizarrely. Says a lot really.

But bare in mind, when he’s caught out, he very much melts down. He’s even accused some people of picking on him and claimed he’s old and vulnerable because of his disability according to another poster.

Very very sad behaviour.

NVP

NVP

Soldato
I've been categorised as urban many times, I'm not of African ancestry.

Those equating urban to mean "black" people are proving ignorance and perpetuating racism by their ridiculous outrage culture #rabblerabblerabble

Dowie has never appeared racist to me, it is true he likes to provoke and stir the pot a little, but he always appears to outlay a valid point worthy of discussion.

Soldato
I don't think OP is a racist. He may well be for all I know but it is a bit unfair to tarnish him a racist based on this thread but in saying that it is an odd choice of words they have decided to start their gambit with.
This whole urban thing isn't something that's just popped up recently. While there is every chance OP didn't directly mean Urban = Black, and to be fair you should give everyone the benefit of the doubt, it has been used for decades to describe black people. As a black man I have had various bits about me described as urban. Be it my appearance, my hair, the way I speak (irony being I have a disgustingly thick Bristolian accent) or what I listen to. It's not the end of the world and it's not going to ruin my day but from my experience when people say Urban around me, it's because they don't want to say black.

But hey. It's the internet. Everyone is right in their own minds and no one is willing to accept the other side.

NVP

NVP

Soldato
It's not the end of the world and it's not going to ruin my day but from my experience when people say Urban around me, it's because they don't want to say black.
I'd hazard a guess that those choosing to say urban in this sense aren't intending to use it in a racist way and simply fear using the term "black" due to the perpetually offended.

As I said, I am not "black" yet have been referred to as urban many times. I am of punjabi descent, but I feel it is more to do with the culture I follow rather rather the colour of my skin.

Back
Top Bottom