• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Anyone just given up on looking for a new GPU?

Soldato
I'm way behind on a lot of older games. I have a evga 1080 hybrid and i just got round to playing assassin's creed odyssey gold edition yesterday to pleasently surprised it's playing on high settings at 42-70fps at 3440x1440.
If the GPU scene hasn't improved by November I'm seriously considering upgrading to a high end Ryzen setup and keep the 1080 for another year or two.

Associate
Many people who are thinking of a GPU upgrade might also be wanting to upgrade their CPU/Motherboard/RAM at the same time. If I was in that situation I wouldn't bother doing the full upgrade until I could get hold of a GPU at a reasonable price.

Its difficult to wait till 2022 when hopefully the market resumes.Might as well reap the performance boost especially when switching over from an older platform.

My major CPU and GPU upgrades, nvm the rest of all the other components, are out of sync with each other as one of the parts tends to be "good enough".Besides its very satisfying to build a "Theseus" PC when you finally swap out that part fron a previous build, in my case(no pun) it just has to be the GPU unfortunately.

Associate
I've been mainly playing PS4 backlog and catching up on some old PC games during the pandemic, so although I knew about the chip shortage, I wasn't paying close attention to graphics cards beyond 'they've gone up in price'

Had a look today, as I remembered the 3060 had come out recently and it would be a sweet upgrade from my 780 and maybe prices wouldn't be so bad

Oh, sweet summer child...... HOLY ****!!!

I cannot believe how bad the situation is.

On the plus side, I bagged myself a PS5 this morning, so this market can do one until 2022.

Associate
I've been mainly playing PS4 backlog and catching up on some old PC games during the pandemic, so although I knew about the chip shortage, I wasn't paying close attention to graphics cards beyond 'they've gone up in price'

Had a look today, as I remembered the 3060 had come out recently and it would be a sweet upgrade from my 780 and maybe prices wouldn't be so bad

Oh, sweet summer child...... HOLY ****!!!

I cannot believe how bad the situation is.

On the plus side, I bagged myself a PS5 this morning, so this market can do one until 2022.

Congrats on the PS5. I have been playing my PS5 of late also, fortunate enough that I could have avoided the whole gpu craze. Saying that I was also lucky with a 3090fe so I am good for the next 4-5 years I reckon, unless some ground breaking new gpu comes out before then.

Soldato
OP
Still can't find a decent priced GPU so I'm going to visit Steam library and pick one of the 70 games I've got, but never played lol. Tell me I'm not the only one with a huge Steam library and never played most of the game in it?

Time to revisit 2016 gaming for a few months

Associate
Still can't find a decent priced GPU so I'm going to visit Steam library and pick one of the 70 games I've got, but never played lol. Tell me I'm not the only one with a huge Steam library and never played most of the game in it?

That Gpu will see you good for sometime yet. Save your money for better days.

Permabanned

In years gone by, Steam would sell bundles of games cheap. Since then they realised they were basically throwing profit away and they stopped doing it. Not before I bought enough games to last a lifetime and more. So no, you are not the only one who has games they never play!!

Associate

It is difficult to not scratch the itch!! but taking into account the fact that I have at least 20 games in my steam library that I have not played yet and the cost of upgrading from 2080+3900 I hope I can stick it out until 2022 :D

Soldato
I actually finally managed to pick up RX 580 4GB for a reasonable amount from a competitor place that sells and resells things on a High Street.

Enjoyed getting into some titles and now the card completely died on me after a week, back to no GPU for me :eek:

Soldato
I actually finally managed to pick up RX 580 4GB for a reasonable amount from a competitor place that sells and resells things on a High Street.

Enjoyed getting into some titles and now the card completely died on me after a week, back to no GPU for me :eek:
I've had a couple of faulty Polaris cards from them recently. A 4GB RX 480 that worked fine for a few days and then locked to its base clock and wouldn't shift above it, and an RX 580 that arrived with a broken fan. People just dumping sketchy mining cards there I suppose. They don't seem to have much in the way of quality control. Also had a 660 Ti arrive just plain dead from them recently, and a 780 Ti that had been put back together incorrectly to the point that a screw just fell out of it when I took it out of the box, mainly because it's not even the right screw for the card.

Soldato
I've had a couple of faulty Polaris cards from them recently. A 4GB RX 480 that worked fine for a few days and then locked to its base clock and wouldn't shift above it, and an RX 580 that arrived with a broken fan. People just dumping sketchy mining cards there I suppose. They don't seem to have much in the way of quality control. Also had a 660 Ti arrive just plain dead from them recently, and a 780 Ti that had been put back together incorrectly to the point that a screw just fell out of it when I took it out of the box, mainly because it's not even the right screw for the card.

Yup, figured it would more than likely be ex mining card but thought might get lucky given the price and 24 month warranty.

Also ordered R7 370 from them for a friend's PC and that wouldn't get past BIOS and crash the PC every time, guess very few people in the right mind would sell a good card to them at the moment given eBay prices so it's all bottom of the barrel stuff.

Soldato

I'll happily sell them stuff (whoever got my 2080ti will have a great card) but there no way I would buy anything unless I was really, really desperate.

Soldato
I'll happily sell them stuff (whoever got my 2080ti will have a great card) but there no way I would buy anything unless I was really, really desperate.

I'm really, really desperate :D

Have an awkward budget of around £200 which basically won't get me anything new bar GT 1030 as even GTX 1650 cards are gold dust. 1050 ti does pop up once in a while but I see those as very bad value even in this market.

The RX 580 card I got push well above £200 second hand on eBay too, at least here I'm covered by their warranty and still within my 14 days for an easy return, but definitely won't be buying again after 2 dud cards.

Associate
I did a couple of months ago due to no stock and no idea when they would become available, i was ready to pull the trigger on an epic VR build, ended up starting a new project and fitted 4 18's and nearly 20k watts into my van.

Associate
I'm really, really desperate :D

The RX 580 card I got push well above £200 second hand on eBay too, at least here I'm covered by their warranty and still within my 14 days for an easy return, but definitely won't be buying again after 2 dud cards.

Sorry to hear about your experience, if I buy a GPU from them I trade them back in before the 2 years are up so they have warranty, but you didn't even get anywhere near that. They do get some good cards as I recently traded in some cards I had trouble free from new. Some were lightly used as I had traded up after a year or 2 but kept the card and box.

Associate

xcom is still on my to play list

V F

V F

Soldato

Guilty. I've a lot of games on PC and console I've either not completed or started.

Soldato
I've seen rumours today of a 6600XT (2,048 stream processors, 128 TMUs, 32 ROPs, and a 128-bit wide GDDR6 memory interface with 8 GB of memory).

I wonder what pricepoint this would come in at? Could this be at near price parity to my venerable RX480 with double the performance?

Soldato
Well, I'm basically giving up now.

Might get lucky on MM at some point in the future but for now gotta see what I can run on my 9600k iGPU :D

Back
Top Bottom