PSVR 2, anyone interested?

Soldato
The problem with that is the lowest ebb is currently the most popular, PCVR and highend development would have suffered in the short to medium term coupling with the long standing perception among the general gamming population about VR gamming being light weight. Right now they've been downgrading to fit to mobile, it will swing the other way in a race to the bottom soon.

A PSVR2 swings that around if it's successful, a large install base brings proper AAA development back to VR:)

I actually think a big problem is the fact that PCVR is too demanding. Outside of a high powered gaming rig, you won't have the system to really make PCVR look good. So if it's not going to look good anyway, you have to focus on gameplay etc, and often that can be done on mobile. PS5 will obviously help with that, and will have the strength to make it look decent enough.

I actually think VR needs to start at the bottom, it'll never grow if it's going to be a niche product only available to those who've spent hundreds on a console (and hundreds more on the headset), or hundreds on a powerful PC and hundreds more on a headset. PC/console gaming started off a lot cheaper and more accessible, and now they've established their credentials, can push for more and more investment. VR isn't there yet. Quest 2 is making the entry point far more accessible, to give that boost in audience exposure, to then move onto PC/PS VR. The nice thing about quest is that it can do both, and now virtual desktop is official, a lot of people will be able to do it wirelessly.

Soldato
Yeah, more competiton and players in the market for VR can only be a good thing. Runours of Apple getting involved next year as well. Whilst they appear to have abandoned VR development for the moment I'm sure Microsoft/Google will be keeping an eye on developments to decide whether to jump back in.

Soldato
I actually think a big problem is the fact that PCVR is too demanding. Outside of a high powered gaming rig, you won't have the system to really make PCVR look good.

A hard sell in a forum that formed around selling that high powered gear to people;)

And your really don't need anything beyond a reasonable pc to have good looking native VR games like sinners and contractors. The awful downgraded versions of those two games to suit the mobile chip don't interest me really.

Soldato
A hard sell in a forum that formed around selling that high powered gear to people;)

And your really don't need anything beyond a reasonable pc to have good looking native VR games like sinners and contractors. The awful downgraded versions of those two games to suit the mobile chip don't interest me really.

How many people have what you'd call a reasonable PC? You're looking at spending as much on a graphics card as you are a console. Even outside of these insane times.

Soldato
Gonna have to be a BIG step up for me I'm afraid. Had the original PSVR, and the Quest 2. The Q2 is great being free from wires, but it's still a long long way off where it needs to be.

PSVR2 must have a clearer screen free from SDE and that god awful onion effect, higher FOV, internal tracking, completely different controllers (not those crap ice cream cones), headstrap that doesn't let light in (i mean come on) lol and ideally be wireless. Biggest problem with the gen1 was the rats nest of wires.

oh....and proper full lenght games. Not a drive club 'DEMO' but full on GT VR

Soldato
They look great.

It's a big up going with the central stem that you grip, very much like the index controllers. Natural hand motions feel far more intuitive without feeling like your holding a lumpy weight in your hand, i hope there's a strap attached to facilitate that hands free let go option like the index controllers do. As functional as the standard VR controls are and continue to be, they've had there time and we need to be moving on, certainly with haptic responses.

With Sony demonstrating such a well crafted propriety controller no lesser in stature and effort than what they've put in with Dual sense, it really does confirm Sony are all in with the PSVR2.

Soldato
Will buy PSVR2

PC VR is a mess, I just want to plug it in and use it without any hassles or issues, don't want to spend hours testing, tweaking, googling how to fix bugs and issues etc.

mother than price, what's holding PC VR back is how complicated it is

Soldato
PSVR 2 is shaping up to be a Killer with nasty specs that make current PC VR headsets twitch

leaked from a game developer who is working on VR games for ps5 (apparently Sony has started giving out devkit headsets)

resolution: 2000x2040 per eye, OLED panel with up to 120hz, 120 degree FOV

Tracking: Inside out tracking for controllers, Eye tracking and Foveated rendering.

Features: physical IPD adjustment. Haptic feedback (yes the headset itself has haptic feedback motors so you really don't want to get shot in the game). Connects to the ps5 using a single USB type c cable

Last edited:
Soldato
PSVR 2 is shaping up to be a Killer with nasty specs that make current PC VR headsets twitch

leaked from a game developer who is working on VR games for ps5 (apparently Sony has started giving out devkit headsets)

Tracking: Inside out tracking for controllers, Eye tracking and Foveated rendering.

Features: physical IPD adjustment. Haptic feedback (yes the headset itself has haptic feedback motors so you really don't want to get shot in the game). Connects to the ps5 using a single USB type c cable

Yeah, sure, link to that supposed leak please. The only leaks that I have seen are mostly speculation.

And the reason I am not going to be getting excited is that the leaks before the first PSVR were far beyond what was actually delivered.

Soldato

That seems too much of a dream wish list. Don't get me wrong if this is the spec i'd be first in line, because that's incredible. But you know what they say "if it's too good to be true...."

Soldato
Feel the same way when I read that. It's almost perfect. I guess you'd perhaps want a higher res due to the high FOV, but in theory eye tracking and foveated rendering offsets that.

Soldato
Sony have basically said psvr2 won't release until 2022 so no point in worrying about it until nearer then IMO!

Don't get me wrong. I'm hyped and excited for it but it's far too early to speculate on specs until nearer the end of the year IMO! Unless Sony themselves announce it of course.

Last edited:
Associate
I have a PS5 so I guess probably. Depends on the games..if its stuff already on Quest then no. If its proper AAA stuff that VR typically doesn't get, or GT7 then yes.

Soldato
I have a PS5 so I guess probably. Depends on the games..if its stuff already on Quest then no. If its proper AAA stuff that VR typically doesn't get, or GT7 then yes.

Gt7 with a good high resolution vr headset would be freakin awesome

Back
Top Bottom