Disenfranchisement and I.D. Cards

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

I know a lot of people without any form of photo ID - esp a lot of students. If you are in a big town/city there is no need to own a car, not that they could afford to run one anyway. Most of these don't have a passport either.

I have the opposite view to you OP - you find it remarkable that a lot of people don't have photo ID - I find it unremarkable that they don't.

Soldato
It is pretty astonishing to think how many people get on without photo ID. Basically, people who don’t drive and have no incentive or ability to go abroad.
Why would you want to go abroad? We have enough problems with foreigners coming here, but if you go abroad it's full of foreigners!
And why would you need* to drive? You can get around London perfectly well using public transport... and if you don't live in London, you're obviously not important (rich?) enough for your opinion to count! :p

*Okay, maybe if you're a London Bus driver or a cabbie, but work should pay for that anyway.

Joking aside, I never needed a licence until after I left London, and my passport never got used in over 30 years, so I let it lapse and have never needed it since.
Of course, once self-driving cars become mainstream, licences won't even exist, so we'll need those ID Cards. Currently a PASS card only costs £15, anyway...

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

We could just let people vote. There's no evidence of any but the tiniest amount of fraud.

Seems allowing voting us more important in a democracy.

Exactly.

I'd happily tolerate a minuscule amount of fraud rather than disenfranchise even a small number of the eligible voting population.

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

something needs to be done about the huge amounts of voter fraud in certain parts of the country, not saying this is the answer but it needs dealing with

What "huge amounts of voter fraud"?

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

They assume that people without photo Id actually give a **** and would vote anyway!

How does being in the possession of photo ID correlate in any way to whether anyone wants to exercise their right to vote :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

Permabanned
Aren't you the guy that always assumes women are lying in rape cases?
It's interesting how you use 'no evidence' in different scenarios.
It's creepy af that you remember that conversation from ages ago.
There's no inconsistency in my views though. One is "don't convict someone without evidence" and the other is "don't claim you know how much voter fraud there is when you can't prove it". Both about evidence being required.

Soldato
It's creepy af that you remember that conversation from ages ago.
There's no inconsistency in my views though. One is "don't convict someone without evidence" and the other is "don't claim you know how much voter fraud there is when you can't prove it". Both about evidence being required.
One means disenfranchising lots of people because of no evidence of voter fraud.

That's no less important a right than the right to a fair trial.

(bit creepy to side with the rapists, tbh mate)

Permabanned
One means disenfranchising lots of people because of no evidence of voter fraud.
That's no less important a right than the right to a fair trial.
(bit creepy to side with the rapists, tbh mate)
You don't know they're rapists.
And you don't know there's no voter fraud.
At least you're consistent too.

Soldato
I don't have any photo ID, it's going to make my Jury Duty in the next week or so very interesting. Personally I'm hoping they say I can't do it, because right now is a really, really bad time.

Permabanned
Only recently I have needed/used my photo id, in 46 years, and that was only to sign up to crypto exchanges.

Vote fraud in the UK is negligible and is not a valid reason to make voting require ID, much the same in the USA, its just a form of voter suppression.

Caporegime
something needs to be done about the huge amounts of voter fraud in certain parts of the country, not saying this is the answer but it needs dealing with
National ID card like some other countries have would be nice imo, as long as it's free.

you could probably even visit some countries with it instead of having a passport, maybe not now we left the EU though.

demanding photo ID is kinda meh if your poor as they probably don't drive and passports ain't exactly cheap with the upfront cost even if they do last a long time.

I don't think people realise how poor a large chunk of this country are

Back
Top Bottom