Disenfranchisement and I.D. Cards

Permabanned
Which types of voter fraud are undetectable?
Well, if I know you're not voting, I can show up at your polling station and vote as you. Nobody would ever know. That's one.

That's not how it works.

If it was a problem it would have been spotted as they've spent years trying to find cases, by your reckoning we might as well lock you up for murder because we can't prove that you haven't killed a few people and turned them into a stew.
Requiring ID is nothing like locking someone up for murder. What a load of nonsense.

Soldato
There's no evidence of any but the tiniest amount of fraud.

With majorities sometimes in the double or even single digits even the tiniest amount of fraud can make a difference. Remember that there have been cases of fraud: Lutfur Rahman is a recent case.

Anyway, voter fraud isn't the real issue; rather, it's the integrity of the process. Voting has to not only be fraud-free but be seen to be fraud-free. One only has to look at the disaster of the American election to see why. And remember the presumption of innocence: you have to prove that people commited fraud to convict but even the sniff of fraud taints the process.

I am in favour of voters having to be able to prove they are who they say they are.

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

Voting has to not only be fraud-free but be seen to be fraud-free.

No it doesn't.

One only has to look at the disaster of the American election to see why.

But they're crazy. And they don't really care about fraud, some people just didn't like the result (which was why when the fraud wasn't substantiated they then moved onto blaming the voting machines etc).

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

As I've said many times, there's no way to know. Yet others are happy to claim fraud is low.

Various studies (by sampling, exit polls, monitoring of voting stations etc) have shown that it isn't a significant issue to be concerned about though.

Soldato
As I've said many times, there's no way to know. Yet others are happy to claim fraud is low.
It's amusing and a bit scary how quick you are to embrace restriction of our liberties and voter suppression in the name of non-existent fraud. There is a way to know, people are monitoring these things all the time. Criminals often make mistakes, if it were a significant problem it would be very obvious even with rudimentary systems in place.

Permabanned
It's amusing and a bit scary how quick you are to embrace restriction of our liberties and voter suppression in the name of non-existent fraud. There is a way to know, people are monitoring these things all the time. Criminals often make mistakes, if it were a significant problem it would be very obvious even with rudimentary systems in place.
Big bad scary ID gonna get ya :p

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

Sorry, but yes, for people to have confidence in an election it does have to be seen to be fraud-free.

Sorry but no. I think for most people they just have to have confidence that the levels of fraud are low enough to not negatively affect the outcome and that the majority of instances of fraud are detected and dealt with in a suitable manner.

I don't think anyone is naïve enough to believe elections can be totally free of fraud.

Permabanned
If it's impossible to prove levels of voter fraud, then how can you determine it's not as low as it's being claimed? There's no way of knowing if it's impossible to prove Shirley?
I've said repeatedly I don't know what the actual level of fraud is, so f knows why ur asking this. This whole point is that ID removes the uncertainty and that's why it's good.

Soldato
Back
Top Bottom