*** Nintendo Switch ***

Associate
I bought Animal Crossing for the wife, initially I created a house on her island and did a few things here and there but it was quite a grind.

Now I have more hours on the game than any of the family... and I've done most of the decorating too. It's a good time sink and has enough old familiarity to the DS version before it went bad with later changes.

It's actually a really relaxing game and good for a completionist with all the achievements in there too. :o

Soldato
I know switch games hold there money but the ones am after have been out awhile, is there usually a good place to get cheap switch games?

I'm after pokken tournament dx and pokemon mystery dungeon

Associate
I know switch games hold there money but the ones am after have been out awhile, is there usually a good place to get cheap switch games?

I'm after pokken tournament dx and pokemon mystery dungeon

I think I saw mystery dungeon cheapest at Curry's recently with their £5 off code, something like FNDDGAME. Worth checking hot UK deals for them both to get an idea.

Associate
Very late to the party, but finally got a Switch, the Monster Hunter Special Edition, waited very long this time as felt a little underwhelmed by the Wii U and its library, especially buying that early in its very short lifespan.

Mini review and feedback: console itself looks amazing even when docked but the dock seems to be a terrible design for scratching potential, I didn't even put it in without putting a screen protector on and slightly modding the dock connect points with rubber electrical tape, looks the same and pretty much a guarantee the screen wont scratch at all now.

Picked up a Pro controller as you can now use on Steam as well, brilliant controller all round, also I like the included joypads as well, not bad for most types of games. Games wise actually wanted Neo Turf Master/ACA Neo Geo Golf digital as much as anything as loved that game for years and great to have a legal handheld and home console version. Picked up Zelda Link's Awakening, Mario Oddessy, Pokemon Sword and Mario Maker 2 all on cart as nice to have resell option and they're so tiny it's not much clutter after years of digital only purchases for me.

Only really played Oddessy and Awakening so far, really great games so far.

Great console for me so far, love how small it is, almost like a mini console, loving the free Snes and Nes games you get with online sub and the Neo Geo ports are amazing too, Neo Turf Masters might still be the best golf game ever.

Happy to bought in late with a great range of first party games, as most everything else will still be on PC for me, the Switch seems a really great combo with it.

fez

fez

Caporegime
Happy to bought in late with a great range of first party games, as most everything else will still be on PC for me, the Switch seems a really great combo with it.

Honestly, late to the party on the Switch is the best thing to be. I have had one since day one and have been really disappointed with Nintendos first party output. Far too many ports instead of new games and the OS has changed about 2 things in the past 4+ years.

Its an amazing console with loads of great games but it could have been so much better with a little more effort from Nintendo.

Associate
Its an amazing console with loads of great games but it could have been so much better with a little more effort from Nintendo.

This sums up Nintendo for me. They get a lot of things right and when they do it's often amazing, but they also get a lot of things wrong. On balance we're fortunate the rights outnumber the wrongs and we get to enjoy some great games but I can see why not everyone is a fan.

fez

fez

Caporegime
This sums up Nintendo for me. They get a lot of things right and when they do it's often amazing, but they also get a lot of things wrong. On balance we're fortunate the rights outnumber the wrongs and we get to enjoy some great games but I can see why not everyone is a fan.

I think the things that annoy me most are the cynical things they do and the little things they ignore.

Still haven't fix the joy con issue.

E-shop is still awful.

OS is still lacking so many really simply QoL features like folders.

Associate
I think the things that annoy me most are the cynical things they do and the little things they ignore.

Still haven't fix the joy con issue.

E-shop is still awful.

OS is still lacking so many really simply QoL features like folders.
Yeah I'd definitely describe a lot of the problems as things I put up with. No real reason we should have to put up with them but also not really enough to stop me playing/enjoying Nintendo games.

Soldato

One thing that bugs me is the layout of the controller where they picked the same button naming convention as the Xbox but then decided to put the buttons in different places. Just what was the point of that, it's really awkward to get used to and I'm forever pressing the wrong button.

Soldato
One thing that bugs me is the layout of the controller where they picked the same button naming convention as the Xbox but then decided to put the buttons in different places. Just what was the point of that, it's really awkward to get used to and I'm forever pressing the wrong button.
Nintendo had that button layout/naming since the SNES days of the early 90s. MS were the ones that copied but changed it round.

Associate
Some good points here, I've been a big Nintendo fan since the Snes, but there's always been some annoyances for me:

Snes: Stuck at 50hz gaming, loads of great games never even came to the UK like Mario RPG and tonnes more good ones.

N64: Even though I loved carts, made for better playability than PS1 with no loading but a lot of companies wanted FMV cutscenes and CD audio so didn't port to N64 meaning much less games. Also they are small capacity compared to even CDs so games couldn't be ported even if they wanted to.

Gamecube: Smaller capacity discs and purple colour with carry handle made it get less 'serious' ports than other consoles, not enough games.

Wii: Some good games, but annoying that their most popular console in ages was their weakest by far compared to others at the time, not even HD. Tonnes of shovelware, motion control didn't age well.

Wii U: Terrible naming idea, many thought was a different version of the Wii that played the same games, some didn't know it was even a new console. Clearly a concept for a better, future design.

Now some good:

Snes: Pioneered the classic controller style that everyone else copied, mostly unchanged decades later in terms of button layout including shoulder buttons. Classic range of games including true arcade experiences.

N64: Introduced mainstream analogue control as standard that everyone else copied, Mario 64 and Zelda OOT pioneered 3D gaming elements that are still used today, lock on, camera control, etc. And rumble as well, once again copied by all and became standard to everyone's massive benefit.

Gamecube: Smaller discs were cute, actually very little innovation by them that gen.

Wii: Reintroduced motion controls which everyone copied again, but to everyone's detriment as motion got old fast, but it did make a load of cash for Nintendo and secured their future. The first major Nintendo innovation that everyone copied that actually flopped for everyone, so it harmed all of them, maybe MS worse of all with Kinekt being bundled and upping the price of Xbox 1 consoles.

Wii U: Mario Kart 8, Mario 3D World, some other good games, plus it acted as proof of concept for the Switch, and that's about it.

So overall, I'm loving the Switch so far, it's a lot more slick than the Wii U that's for sure, but I've come to expect a drought of games and all kinds of 'what if's' with Nintendo consoles, but they do make a great addition to a gaming PC, definitely am happy I waited later in its lifespan to get one.

Soldato
Some good points here, I've been a big Nintendo fan since the Snes, but there's always been some annoyances for me:

Snes: Stuck at 50hz gaming, loads of great games never even came to the UK like Mario RPG and tonnes more good ones.

Gamecube: Smaller capacity discs and purple colour with carry handle made it get less 'serious' ports than other consoles, not enough games.
The 50hz issue was more of a uk TV standard issue was it not?

The GC came in a more serious looking black option. I still have mine. In fact still have all my Nintendo consoles apart from the n64.

Associate
I'd love to get my hands on some of the funky Japanese versions of the GC, like the orange one or I think there's an aqua kinda colour as well. In all honesty I didn't hate the purple and yes the handle was pointless but the thought just occurred to me perhaps it was to encourage leaving space at the back not to damage cables and to help with cooling?

Anyway getting a little off topic here so back to the Switch. Recently picked mine up again more regularly after a bit of a drought. Now that I've more or less run out of what I was watching on Netflix it's getting more use in the evenings on the sofa while the other half watches something she wants. Currently trying to get through my backlog of Pokémon titles, currently Let's Go soon to be followed by Snap. After that I think I'll go back to Breath of the Wild in time for Skyward Sword (...to disappoint me by all accounts :p)

Soldato
Very late to the party, but finally got a Switch, the Monster Hunter Special Edition, waited very long this time as felt a little underwhelmed by the Wii U and its library, especially buying that early in its very short lifespan.
Snip

Did you play Breath of the Wild on the WiiU? If not, it's a must buy!

Associate
The 50hz issue was more of a uk TV standard issue was it not?

The GC came in a more serious looking black option. I still have mine. In fact still have all my Nintendo consoles apart from the n64.

It was but rather than do proper conversions you'd get 50HZ letterboxed games as the simplest conversion was to reduce the number of lines from 60 to 50 and that made the viewing area smaller, so UK SNES games were not only at 50hz, so slower than USA or Japan, but they had black borders making the screen smaller. Rare one of the first companies to do proper 60hz conversions to 50hz for the UK mostly as they were a UK dev who knew the problem first hand.

I also had a black GC which looked sweet, but it was the purple GC that got the most ad time from Nintendo, hence it getting a bit more of a kid's console reputation unfairly.

Back
Top Bottom