*** Official Ubiquiti Discussion Thread ***

Associate
It's hard to make a decision as any reviews do not normally include Ubiquiti models. Assuming that it because Ubiquiti are normally for business.

The problem I am having is that loading web pages on mobile devices is stalling, not always but becoming more frequent. Router (with Wi-Fi off) is saying it is receiving steady expected speeds.

Soldato
I'd have liked something with wi-fi 6, but not at the expense of 2.4ghz and 5ghz seeing as most things are still on those bands. A nanoHD with some wifi6 bolted on would have been ideal.

Soldato
Has anyone got the G4 Doorbell?

It looks like an interesting option in this space but seems to be a right pain to get it to work with a normal UK door chime.

Soldato
I’m hoping someone can help, I have a simple unifi set up consisting on 1 switch and 1 AP with the controller installed on my PC. 6 PC’s and 1 NAS are hardwired and all work as expected. Couple of phones are connected to the wifi and can access the internet no problem however my laptop when connected to the wifi can’t access the NAS. It connects to the internet no problem.

I’ve been trying to map the network drive by typing \\IP or \\server name in windows explorer but it comes up with an error. I can ping the server IP from the laptop no problem. Checked IP address and it’s in the correct range and I can see it in clients on the unifi controller. Guest network is not enabled on the wifi SSID. No VLANs are set up.

Am I missing something obvious? I don’t have another laptop to check but any pointers really appreciated thanks.

RSR

RSR

Soldato
Let me know how it goes, I’m close to pulling the trigger, it’s just the fitting with a normal mechanical chime that’s putting me off.

I've picked up a Honeywell one to go with it, which is wireless. I just need to pick up all my bits up from TLC tomorrow.

Soldato
I’m hoping someone can help, I have a simple unifi set up consisting on 1 switch and 1 AP with the controller installed on my PC. 6 PC’s and 1 NAS are hardwired and all work as expected. Couple of phones are connected to the wifi and can access the internet no problem however my laptop when connected to the wifi can’t access the NAS. It connects to the internet no problem.

I’ve been trying to map the network drive by typing \\IP or \\server name in windows explorer but it comes up with an error. I can ping the server IP from the laptop no problem. Checked IP address and it’s in the correct range and I can see it in clients on the unifi controller. Guest network is not enabled on the wifi SSID. No VLANs are set up.

Am I missing something obvious? I don’t have another laptop to check but any pointers really appreciated thanks.

Is it an elderly NAS drive that needs SMB enabled?

Soldato
So is the UniFi 6 Professional a Wi-fi 6 upgrade version on the UAP-AC-Pro?

Not really. It’s a mid-range WiFi6 access point using a cheaper chipset than the U6-LR. But it’s in EA so people are making wild claims for it that will ultimately result in disappointment and long-term disillusionment with the brand. Again.

The U6-LR is 4x4 OFDMA on both 2.4GHz and 5GHz whereas the U6-Pro is 4x4 on 5GHz and 2x2 or 2.4GHz so if you have lots of IoT devices or legacy technology you’ll get better overall throughput on the U6-LR but if you just want headline grabbing numbers on 5GHz then the U6-Pro will match the U6-LR. As always, remember that the 5Gbps claimed throughputs are simplex (so you need to halve them for true maximum theoretical throughput and then bear in mind it only has one 1Gbps LAN port on the access point, so the true maximum throughput is 1Gbps.

Soldato
Can't you use something network connected as a chime?

Alexa/Google/Homepod

You could if UBNT hadn’t crippled it to only work with UniFi Protect software.

We use the Dahua DS-11 in combination with almost any other doorbell.

https://us.dahuasecurity.com/?product=wifi-doorbell-chime-kit-use-with-dhi-db11

https://us.dahuasecurity.com/?product=2mp_doorbell_camera

The huge advantage of using an ONVIF compatible doorbell is you can use it to record audio/video to any device on the network, as well as being a doorbell.

Associate
Not really. It’s a mid-range WiFi6 access point using a cheaper chipset than the U6-LR. But it’s in EA so people are making wild claims for it that will ultimately result in disappointment and long-term disillusionment with the brand. Again.

The U6-LR is 4x4 OFDMA on both 2.4GHz and 5GHz whereas the U6-Pro is 4x4 on 5GHz and 2x2 or 2.4GHz so if you have lots of IoT devices or legacy technology you’ll get better overall throughput on the U6-LR but if you just want headline grabbing numbers on 5GHz then the U6-Pro will match the U6-LR. As always, remember that the 5Gbps claimed throughputs are simplex (so you need to halve them for true maximum theoretical throughput and then bear in mind it only has one 1Gbps LAN port on the access point, so the true maximum throughput is 1Gbps.

Given the fact that the AC-Pro is 3x3 and the greater prevalence of 5GHz devices now, the U6-Pro still sounds like an upgrade to me, at least on paper.

I'd be quite happy if I could get my hands on either a U6-Pro or U6-LR, though, to be fair.

Associate
You could if UBNT hadn’t crippled it to only work with UniFi Protect software.

We use the Dahua DS-11 in combination with almost any other doorbell.

https://us.dahuasecurity.com/?product=wifi-doorbell-chime-kit-use-with-dhi-db11

https://us.dahuasecurity.com/?product=2mp_doorbell_camera

The huge advantage of using an ONVIF compatible doorbell is you can use it to record audio/video to any device on the network, as well as being a doorbell.

So no external integrations at all?

That defeats the point of a "smart" doorbell if you ask me - a total waste of time.

Soldato
Given the fact that the AC-Pro is 3x3 and the greater prevalence of 5GHz devices now, the U6-Pro still sounds like an upgrade to me, at least on paper.

I'd be quite happy if I could get my hands on either a U6-Pro or U6-LR, though, to be fair.

If you just want an upgrade on an AP-AC-Pro the UAP-HDNano knocks spots off it. In the real world, the AP-AC-LR gives you better coverage and just as fast throughput given how few 3x3 device-only households there are. 2x2 is the most common configuration and will be for some time to come so you want 2x2 or 4x4. WiFi6 gives you OFDMA (if implemented) so it speeds up your old devices as well as the new WiFi6 ones.

I suppose the U6-Pro is the replacement for the AP-AC-Pro in that it’s the one the uninformed buyers will see labelled ‘pro’ so they incorrectly assume it’s the best and buy it whereas the one you actually want is the U6-Lite for value or the U6-LR for coverage and real-world throughput.

And of course the one you actually want is the U6-LR 2.5Gbps lan port but that’s not even in EA yet.

Soldato
Can't you use something network connected as a chime?

Alexa/Google/Homepod

So no external integrations at all?

That defeats the point of a "smart" doorbell if you ask me - a total waste of time.

"smart" has been overrated in tech for a while now! :cry:

I actually don’t have any Alexa or Google nest products so the and call me old fashioned but I don’t intend to start now.

Don’t get me wrong Ubi is no saint either.

I might be tempted by something home kit enabled but the main priority for a product like this is local recording and not an over reliance on the cloud.

Soldato
I actually don’t have any Alexa or Google nest products so the and call me old fashioned but I don’t intend to start now.

Don’t get me wrong Ubi is no saint either.

I might be tempted by something home kit enabled but the main priority for a product like this is local recording and not an over reliance on the cloud.

Can I suggest the Dahua VTO2111D-P-S2 for your consideration? It's PoE or battery powered. It's WiFi or wired ethernet and it acts as a standard ONVIF camera for your NVR. For a chime you can use the DS-11 I mentioned above, your phone or a dedicated video terminal which is also powered by PoE.

VTO2111D-P-S2 - Entrance Panels - IP Video Door Entry (securitydynamics.co.uk)

VTH2421FB-P - Indoor Video Monitors - IP Video Door Entry (securitydynamics.co.uk)

They sell kits of the doorbell, monitor and a PoE switch to power everything for under £200. And you can have a monitor in every room if you want that.

Soldato
Has anyone got the G4 Doorbell?

It looks like an interesting option in this space but seems to be a right pain to get it to work with a normal UK door chime.

Had mine since Jan from USA import. Works perfectly and never dropped once with my signal usually around 77% to my udm a few rooms away from the front door. I have mine integrated with Alexa to announce button presses or movement but this needed home assistant / PI and some mucking about. It really should have some integration out the box so hopefully they are working on it but you can always guarantee nothing with ui.

If you don't mind a cloud solution I found my nest doorbell slightly better quality and better integrated but they annoyed me with moving my sub to a more expensive non legacy package after an rma so it's swings and roundabouts with trade offs. If your already deep inti UI with cloud key 2 or udm / pro then its worth a punt.

I will mention the chime when the door is pressed on the device is super quiet. The screen so small no one ever reads it and the speaker is not the loudest for chat if its windy.

Back
Top Bottom