Pro Cycling Discussion 2021

Soldato
all noise from the team cars/DS' no doubt. But like you say @One More Solo I never get the whole i'd rather lose than give you more of a chance of winning. Surely being up there chasing it down gives you more air time and you never know about mechanicals or bad days, they happen more often than not! Same with the reduced groups when they start playing around for 3rd/4th/5th in a classic rather than bothering to attempt to chase it down together.

Exactly, you only have to look at Asgreen vs van der Poel at Flanders. Too often guys would rather settle for third to avoid dragging a sprinter to the line, but anything can happen on the day.

Soldato
OP
and followed up by a proper show of strength by Caleb! Good distance to come from! Looked like some gaps on the line after about 50 riders although suspect they won't be marked.

SPG

SPG

Soldato
I love the Giro, its so much better than the Tour De Boring :)

Looking forward to when I retire and can head over in the camper van and follow it around for 3 weeks :)

Soldato
OP
Like everything though, get the best of the best at the tour every year where all the teams are on it every day because the money is so much higher.

Weather looks absolutely grim again today, although was glorious sunshine just 20 mins ago. Can see some big time losses coming if the weather stays this bad over and above what would have been at the finish anyway.

Soldato
Looked like passengers in the two cars were trying to exchange bottles? Sigh.

The drivers of these cars should really just be drivers. Not doing half a dozen other things too. It's kinda surprising there aren't more incidents!

Soldato
OP
Yeah that was shocking! especially on a climb too! absolutely braindead. Wonder how much that affected Evenepoels finale having 1 less rider. Good stage apart from that, the wind over the first climb really smashed it to pieces and suspect there'll be some tired legs after todays day in the saddle and that weather. Perfect Sun to absolute downpour in 20 minutes! Bernal looked pretty strong as did Evenepoel and Vlasov.

Soldato
I see Ewan is talking about leaving early to prep for the Tour. IMO your stage wins count for nothing if you don’t finish the race. Likewise his aim to win stages at all three GTs means very little if he only rides for 5-6 weeks.

SPG

SPG

Soldato
Agreed, dipping in and out just for stage wins means nothing. Winning a sprint in week 3 means something that you have stuck at like a pro :)

Soldato
OP
yeah same, it does put something against the race, but from the other side the organisers know that some sprinters will be bailing in Giro/Vuelta because the cumulative fatigue and last week opportunities just aren't there due to the route planning. I suspect if the Champs Elysses wasn't there we'd see the same at the Tour.

Soldato
OP
not sure if anyone will be interested, but MTB short track is on this afternoon with Tom Pidcock racing it for the first time, it's a 20 minute race and on Red Bull TV, not sure if he lines up based on last weeks result or will have to work his way up, but should be frenetic and fun to watch.

Back
Top Bottom