Greenlizard0 PL & Championship Football Thread ** spoilers ** [7th - 13th May 2021]

Don
Football is full of tight margins and if we had been more clinical like the chance Greenwood had to make it 3-3 it might of been a different result.
And if we were more clinical at 3-1 it could have ended 4 or 5-1. And you're not seriously trying to compare Utd's injuries this season to ours are you? :o

I mentioned at HT how ridiculous it was of Neville to cry about Maguire being out injured for 5 days, while Utd are putting out a back 4 that cost £150m and we're starting with Phillips and Williams at CB :D

fez

fez

Caporegime
Yes Liverpool have injuries but so did we in Martial and Maguire plus we have had many injuries through out the season with a lot of our key players being out for periods of time.

I wouldn't have said that we have had any more than the average injury issues this season. Liverpool have had an awful run though. Jota was on fire at the start of the season and then was injured for 80% of it. VvD was injured for 90% of it. Alisson for a good while. Salah for a while, Henderson for quite a while now. I think i'm probably missing 3-4 more first XI players as well.

If we lose Europa League final then it will become worrying but if anyone had told me we would get 10 more points than last season, finish second and win a European Trophy I would have bit their hand off.

I don't like to look at the team as a sum of their results. Results are based on so many factors outside of your control. What you can control is your performances and progress as a team and I'm still not seeing it. If you told me that we would win the EL and come second in the PL I would have been surprised and happy. If you would have then told me that all of our direct rivals would have awful seasons bar City then I wouldn't have been quite so impressed.

We are obviously still short in a couple of positions but depending on summer will be more detrimental to our future rather than Ole still being the manager. It is pretty obvious we lack that Kante, Fernandhino, Fabhino type player. Fred has been a great servant and makes an excellent squad player but he shouldn't be starting.

We are still short a few positions but we are also short a good manager. Look at Chelsea now Tuchel has come in. Look at Arsenal with a poor manager. Look at Leicester with a good manager. Managers give you that extra 10% from your team. Ole is simply not getting "par" from this set of players.

Caporegime
And if we were more clinical at 3-1 it could have ended 4 or 5-1. And you're not seriously trying to compare Utd's injuries this season to ours are you? :o

I mentioned at HT how ridiculous it was of Neville to cry about Maguire being out injured for 5 days, while Utd are putting out a back 4 that cost £150m and we're starting with Phillips and Williams at CB :D

Liverpool were the better side over the 90 minutes no doubt and deserved the win. All I am trying to point out is that Man Utd are not as far behind as they were 18 months ago. The game was swinging from side to side throughout the 90 mins and was a thoroughly enjoyable derby for me at least. Normally the pool would be having 60%+ possession and we would be on the counter.

Also no I am not comparing our injuries over a season to yours I was just saying we have had them also in reference to people thinking we should be a lot higher than we are but yesterday was a similar scenario. Liverpool were near enough full strength bar CB's. We were missing our best CB just like you and Lindelof was playing on the wrong side of what he is used to.

Caporegime
I don't like to look at the team as a sum of their results. Results are based on so many factors outside of your control. What you can control is your performances and progress as a team and I'm still not seeing it. If you told me that we would win the EL and come second in the PL I would have been surprised and happy. If you would have then told me that all of our direct rivals would have awful seasons bar City then I wouldn't have been quite so impressed.

I never get this argument. Everyone else can have awful seasons but we cannot. Doesn't it occur to you that United's season might have also been awful but less awful than others? We have had to play in exactly the same circumstances as everyone. Not only that our cup competition draws have been the hardest. Just look at our FA cup and League Cup and our route to the Europa League final has been more difficult to Chelsea's route to the champions league final. City have only had to play Dortmund and PSG who have been any threat.

We have played PSG, RB, Real Sociedad, Milan and Roma on the way to the final.

Caporegime
I switched off at full time but I see Keane is 100% spot on as per usual. United have a lot of dross in their squad which is lacking any serious depth.

They need to replace their central midfield, new centre half, new striker at the absolute minimum.

At least if you're a young lad in the youth ranks you can look at Mctominay and Fred and think 'I can get into this team' I suppose?

Don
Liverpool were the better side over the 90 minutes no doubt and deserved the win. All I am trying to point out is that Man Utd are not as far behind as they were 18 months ago. The game was swinging from side to side throughout the 90 mins and was a thoroughly enjoyable derby for me at least. Normally the pool would be having 60%+ possession and we would be on the counter.

Also no I am not comparing our injuries over a season to yours I was just saying we have had them also in reference to people thinking we should be a lot higher than we are but yesterday was a similar scenario. Liverpool were near enough full strength bar CB's. We were missing our best CB just like you and Lindelof was playing on the wrong side of what he is used to.
I'm not really sure the game was swinging much. Liverpool didn't start the game well but Utd didn't really do much either and were somewhat fortunate to go ahead through a massive deflection and then for the rest of the game, barring a 10 minute spell in the 2nd half, I thought we were comfortably the better side. You comment on possession but the state of the game often dictates that and when you went 3-1 down right at the start of the 2nd half, we were always going to drop off and concede possession and look to kill the game on the break.

And if your point was a literal one then sure, every side has had an injury this season but there's clearly different levels. Maybe I'm wrong but of the core of your 1st team squad (the first 15/16 players that play most games) I can only think of Martial that's missed much football this season. On the other hand we've had VVD, Gomez & Matip all missing 75%+ of the season, Henderson out for 4 months, Jota & Thiago for 3 months, Fabinho, Milner & Alisson for 2 months. Saying "we've had injuries too" is like telling a starving man that you had no ketchup with your fry-up this morning.

Caporegime
I switched off at full time but I see Keane is 100% spot on as per usual. United have a lot of dross in their squad which is lacking any serious depth.

They need to replace their central midfield, new centre half, new striker at the absolute minimum.

At least if you're a young lad in the youth ranks you can look at Mctominay and Fred and think 'I can get into this team' I suppose?

James Garner is on loan at Forest and has been fantastic for them but he needs another season on loan tbh.

fez

fez

Caporegime
I never get this argument. Everyone else can have awful seasons but we cannot. Doesn't it occur to you that United's season might have also been awful but less awful than others? We have had to play in exactly the same circumstances as everyone. Not only that our cup competition draws have been the hardest. Just look at our FA cup and League Cup and our route to the Europa League final has been more difficult to Chelsea's route to the champions league final. City have only had to play Dortmund and PSG who have been any threat.

Of course it has but we have had a better season results wise than last season without playing better whereas all the other teams have gone downhill in performances and results. You can have an off season and chalk it down as such (see Liverpool). If you are not improving in the way you play and perform each season then something needs to change unless you are happy with that level. All of the same issues we have had since Ole arrived are still there, we just have a better set of players.

Thats why I look at how we are playing, not how results suggest we are doing. As I have said a number of times this season, wait until next year when the likes of Liverpool, Chelsea, Tottenham, Arsenal etc all pull their socks up and see how we look then. I think you will be unpleasantly surprised.

Caporegime
Of course it has but we have had a better season results wise than last season without playing better whereas all the other teams have gone downhill in performances and results. You can have an off season and chalk it down as such (see Liverpool). If you are not improving in the way you play and perform each season then something needs to change unless you are happy with that level. All of the same issues we have had since Ole arrived are still there, we just have a better set of players.

That's why I look at how we are playing, not how results suggest we are doing. As I have said a number of times this season, wait until next year when the likes of Liverpool, Chelsea, Tottenham, Arsenal etc all pull their socks up and see how we look then. I think you will be unpleasantly surprised.

The only person we brought in was Cavani really and he has just been a replacement for an injured Martial more than anything. We have scored more goals this season and unbeaten all season away from home. United are also at a different stage compared to City and Liverpool on their arc.

We will be challenging next season if we can get that couple of players but that is all down to the Glazers really not Ole.

Sui

Sui

Soldato
I've only just noticed Fernandes was credited that goal last night, I had it on mute whilst playing a game. Feels like a bit of a stretch that!

Wasn't it touch & go as to whether it was actually on target? From memory it looked like it was probably going to hit the post?

Associate
I've only just noticed Fernandes was credited that goal last night, I had it on mute whilst playing a game. Feels like a bit of a stretch that!

Wasn't it touch & go as to whether it was actually on target? From memory it looked like it was probably going to hit the post?
Both goals should probably have gone down as OG's but good luck getting them changed after they've been callee a goal.

Back
Top Bottom