New HTC headsets coming in June

Soldato
I doubt Facebook are making that much off the data, but it wouldn't surprise me if they were operating on a console approach, selling the hardware at cost/loss and recuperating through software sales.

Soldato
I doubt Facebook are making that much off the data, but it wouldn't surprise me if they were operating on a console approach, selling the hardware at cost/loss and recuperating through software sales.

Facebook want to own the VR metaverse. You can't get mass adoption with VR systems that cost £1000 requiring PCs that cost over £1000.

A £300 headset is nearly at impulse buy territory. An HTC Vive Pro 2 is much better than a Quest 2 for PC VR, but is it worth over 4 times the price? Even with accessories such as add-on straps and headpones the Quest 2 would be less than a third of the price.

But in the end HTC is not concerned with mass-market. They're now targeting businesses and high end enthusiast users, hence the high cost.

Soldato
It’s an interesting one…

If they had eye tracking and wireless built in, then I think the ~£1300 package would be appealing. As it is though if those things are important to you, you need to spend £350 or whatever on adding the big bulky wireless link, and probably the same again on adding the eye tracking accessories… also with the latter being optional and additional expense it won’t be widespread and thus is unlikely to drive adoption in games. We’ll be stuck waiting for someone else to make eye tracking standard.

If you already own the base stations and a pair of knuckles, I think it’d be tempting. For anyone else I don’t think the value proposition is there to justify the expense over the Quest 2, G2 or Index.

As for the focus 3, that’s a much slicker design but again at that price I’d really like to have seen eye tracking included as standard… I also wonder about any non-oculus standalone’s store options.

Will be interesting to see how they review. I’m not currently tempted to trade up from the G2 though… my next VR headset will have to offer me eye tracked foveated rendering to get me to upgrade - the G2 is already enough of a pig to run and higher resolutions + FoVs are only going to make things worse on that front.

So I’ll be sitting this one out I think. Wonder when we’ll see an index 2.

Man of Honour
I need to get a VR headset for Sim Racing and have been holding out for the Reverb G2 but this new Pro devices look good and the extra FOV and resolution can only be good (I think). Assume I have zero VR kit and don't really need any controllers, what is the minimum I will need for Sim racing?

Soldato
I need to get a VR headset for Sim Racing and have been holding out for the Reverb G2 but this new Pro devices look good and the extra FOV and resolution can only be good (I think). Assume I have zero VR kit and don't really need any controllers, what is the minimum I will need for Sim racing?

Headset + 1 SteamVR base station is the minimum for seated tracking.

Of course you'll also need a stonkingly good graphics card to run it (at least a 3080, preferably a 308ti or 3090, or whatever the AMD equivalent is).

Associate
Headset + 1 SteamVR base station is the minimum for seated tracking.

Of course you'll also need a stonkingly good graphics card to run it (at least a 3080, preferably a 308ti or 3090, or whatever the AMD equivalent is).

Think we are getting to the point where we can drop SS with this headset. I would think genuine pixels will offwer a clearer picture than the same but say 50% of that SS. I run G2 at 3000x3000 odd in Steam SS, something like 3032 x 3024 ect it says. Im banking that the same resoulution with SS is a smaller perecentage overall from native 2400x 2400 approx tham the 2100x2100 or so with the G2. A 3080 handles this in what I play, So so would the Vive Pro 2 at same res, maybe easier with less SS to compute and work out how to downsise it to the display.

Soldato
Yep, you won't need supersampling, though bear in mind that you have to render at > the LCD resolution to account for lens distortion. Though you can always sub-sample, like the Quest 2 does and still get the benefit of massively reduced or even invisible SDE.

Man of Honour
They can but I found them to be uncomfortable after a while - thinner rims obviously fit in better.

Best thing to do is get some prescription VR lenses
Thanks. I have very thin frame titanium glasses with varifocals as I am a fogey with bad eyesight :(

Associate
Thanks. I have very thin frame titanium glasses with varifocals as I am a fogey with bad eyesight :(
I would just see how you get on with glasses in the headset - you may find them okay. Obviously with the prescription lenses you are fumbling around for your specs when you take the headset off.
I also would sometimes wear contacts but it seemed like a waste just to put them in for VR so eventually went with prescription lenses.

Just be careful not to scratch the headset lenses with your glasses. This was fine on my OG rift but I have an index now and you can change the FoV. May not be an issue depending on which headset you are getting.

Man of Honour
I have worn VR goggles with specs in the past and never recalled a problem, but wanted to double check as those were first generation stuff.

Soldato
The biggest risk with wearing glasses in VR is scratching the lenses, which is why I recommend avoiding using glasses at all if possible. The lenses are generally non-replacable, so scratched lenses can ruin the headset. Prescription lenses are the best bet. For £60 you can get perfect vision plus you protect the lenses of a headset which costs at least 10 times that amount. Think of it as insurance.

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
The biggest risk with wearing glasses in VR is scratching the lenses, which is why I recommend avoiding using glasses at all if possible. The lenses are generally non-replacable, so scratched lenses can ruin the headset. Prescription lenses are the best bet. For £60 you can get perfect vision plus you protect the lenses of a headset which costs at least 10 times that amount. Think of it as insurance.

+1 on this.
I scratched the lenses on my previous CV1 with glasses. I know have the VRoptician solution and they're ace.

Back
Top Bottom