Do you keep your house/flat clean and tidy all the time?

Soldato
It's not lazy, I'd just rather use those hours for something more productive. I'm doing 12 hour days finishing my Ph.D atm. I'd rather not spend the few hours downtime I have cleaning.

Not to derail but have you talked about your threadripper build on here at all, i would be very interested in your thoughts on it.

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

I just wash them in the sink with such a small amount.

Again, it's time. There are five of us so it would take a while to clean.

Not here, the smell after 2 days? No thanks.

They are in the dishwasher, you can't smell them. If I've had something particularly fragrant, I might set a rinse program before it's full and ready for a full wash.

Last edited by a moderator:
Soldato
I just wash them in the sink with such a small amount.

Not here, the smell after 2 days? No thanks.

There’s generally very little odour even after a week ,everything should be reasonably scraped free of food before washing in the machine and the residue that is left tends to dry out a bit

I try to ensure a full load before washing which can be around 3 or 4 days , the gf would still rather spend around 1/2 hr or more washing and drying by hand as she cannot get it into her head that the machine is more efficient and cheaper to run twice a week than burning gas and using hot running water each night, and it gives time to do all of the other chores

Soldato
Always clean and tidy, only thing that is sometimes a little tricky to keep on top of is the dusting.

I look at my siblings' places and the mess the kids make and feel sorry for them, that level of chaos would drive me nuts.

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

she cannot get it into her head that the machine is more efficient and cheaper to run twice a week than burning gas and using hot running water each night, and it gives time to do all of the other chores

This is the other aspect, dishwashers are very efficient.

Soldato
I hate big cleans so I keep things generally tidy and clean as I go (that's not to say it doesn't get messy from time to time). GF on other hand prefers to do a big clean so she's happy to let clutter build up. Works pretty well as I keep the house tidy and she gives it proper clean once a week or so.

Associate
Two teenagers in residence ... I think you can guess the rest.
This. But I also have a wife with a cleaning OCD so you can imagine the stress. We keep the house clean and tidy but occasionally we're doing chores until 10pm at night because we'd been out during the evening and the Mrs won't settle until the house has been cleaned. We've had comments that the house looks like a showroom but to the mrs it's messy!

Soldato
I have two places to keep clean so I’m pretty much on top of it. I have wooden floors in both properties so a quick mop followed by a steam clean does the job, I can also use the steamer to blast the toilet etc.

Associate
My flat is normal fairly clean but I do go through periods where I slack and then have to put a bit of effort in to tidy up.

Soldato
We used to keep everything clean enough as in if anyone popped around you didn't have to run around 'tidying' up..

However since starting 2 extensions last year that still aren't quite finished (almost!) we are effectively living on a building site with no kitchen except a makeshift sink, a camping induction hob and microwave, and we have all the new kitchen/utility units + appliances piled up around the house so everything is a tip.. Then we have 4 rooms with just concrete floors that are kicking up so much dust around the entire house its' almost embarassing..

Still, there is an end in sight and once this round of stuff is done, we will try to get back to having a liveable home that isn't too messy and I like having it so when people pop in randomly we don't have to 'tidy up'..

Now, our two teenagers bedrooms.. well the doors get shut and we must never speak about the disaster that lies behind them..

Soldato
Well my clean run is lasting and quite enjoying it, started when my daughter came for a bbq (toilet visits allowed in restrictions) and my ex gave me a to do list.
Even picked up some pixie dust from Aldi last night so smelling really good and nice to come home to less to do if you get my drift.
Wouldn't have someone in to clean, if I make a mess it's my responsibility

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
Very little time and energy at the end of the day for deeper cleaning. Each day I will do the dishwasher, wash up after dinner, wipe the sides down and do the bins when full. Throughout the week I'll nuke the toilets and try to put some of the washing away. My wife tries to put a load of washing on each day and do some tidying but she is physically in bits at the moment running her hair dressing business.

I have a cleaner coming tomorrow to size up the job for a weekly clean. We just don't get time to do things like cleaning cupboards, deeper cleans in the bathrooms, dusting the blinds, dusting/wiping down all the furniture, mopping the hard floors, etc.

Soldato
Tidy yes, 'clean' no. All things are where they should be most of the time, but things like the wood floor needs a good clean, TV dusting, carpets hoovering etc.

Soldato
Mine is clean, but messy.
I'll leave things out like tools or wires or random gubbins, but the surfaces are clean.

I really need to learn how to not be messy

Associate
To tell you the truth, I usually clean up before I wait for guests. And if I do not wait for anyone, then the big cleaning up takes place once a month...) Yeah, you can call me a dirty dog but I don't have that much time and willing to clean the mess I live in. I just call a cleaning lady/man from https://www.emop.co.uk/battersea-cleaner and only they can make my home sparkle. I can only vacuum and wash the dishes.

Last edited:
Soldato
So essentially at one end of the spectrum are you on top of everything - do you keep your house tidy/clean as in all rooms hovered, bathroom cleaned, kitchen floor mopped, bed sheets changed weekly. Kitchen table/surfaces cleaned daily, no dirty dishes left out overnight etc... i.e, some friend or relative could pop over unannounced or at short notice and you'd not need to worry.

Generally as above, only time the washing up might not get done is if we'd had a party (remember those?) and it was late. One room is a bit of a dumping ground but not too bad, that room and the garage really needs a good sort out, but we are generally on top of general cleaning, although it's not spotlessly tidy, and has that lived in look.

Back
Top Bottom