Your experience with OLED burn-in

Caporegime
£500 a year isn't too bad if it gets daily use. Some of us only paid £900-1000 for those sets when they were on offer so it would be closer to £300 a year. Could also get about £400-500 selling it on if it has no signs of wear or burn in.

My parents are still using my B7 I sold on to them and that has no signs of burn in either despite regular static imagery. 5 years would be acceptable for me but I know some people like to keep their sets for longer than that, moving them to other rooms as a second TV etc.

V F

V F

Soldato
£500 a year isn't too bad if it gets daily use. Some of us only paid £900-1000 for those sets when they were on offer so it would be closer to £300 a year. Could also get about £400-500 selling it on if it has no signs of wear or burn in.

My parents are still using my B7 I sold on to them and that has no signs of burn in either despite regular static imagery. 5 years would be acceptable for me but I know some people like to keep their sets for longer than that, moving them to other rooms as a second TV etc.

55" minimum for the moved tv to the bedroom? :D

Soldato

Absolute minimum IMO. Think my pz80's worked out out to be around £80/year. 13 years and not a single fault with it.

Last edited:
Soldato
Fair? jesus. TVs should be lasting a LOT longer than 3 years at those prices.
Agree

One of my pioneer plasma's was about 11 years old and had 36,000 hours on it the last time i looked when i gave it to my mate a few years ago and he is still using it everyday

I would expect a high priced TV to last around 10 years

Last edited:
Soldato
Ive had my Panasonic Plasma ST60 since 2014, never missed a beat and its still going strong.
Think it was £599 from richersounds. Well worth the cost!

Associate
Agree One of my pioneer plasma's was about 11 years old and had 36,000 hours on it the last time i looked when i gave it to my mate a few years ago and he is still using it everyday I would expect a high priced TV to last around 10 years

Ever since OLED was a research project, the lifespan of the organic material has been debated. There is no reason to worry, says LG. In 2016 -2020 the latest generation of OLED TVs now has a lifespan of 100,000 hours, (11 years of constant use) according to a report by Korea Times OLED TVs in 2013, their lifespan was some 36,000 hours. For comparison the half-life for the backlight in LCD TVs is typically rated at around 60-70,000 hours. However, most often components fail before the backlight dies out.

Should I worry about OLED burn-in? Probably not. Image retention isn't a widespread problem it's a user problem.
https://www.lg.com/us/experience-tvs/oled-tv/reliability

Last edited:

V F

V F

Soldato
Agree

One of my pioneer plasma's was about 11 years old and had 36,000 hours on it the last time i looked when i gave it to my mate a few years ago and he is still using it everyday

I would expect a high priced TV to last around 10 years

I read about that for Kuro. Kuro was a godly brand.

1. The picture quality - is as good or better than at least 99% of current TVs that cost 10 times as much as you can pick up a second hand 9th Generation Kuro TV. Many people that buy the new OLEDs complain about the picture being over bright and artificial and that their favourite movies have lost their original feel.

2. Extremely well built. Thats why Pioneer couldn't make a profit on them. They rarely go down. They built them to last a lifetime, not just a season like the new TVs. That was bad for Pioneer's investors but great for the consumer.

3. Stunning looks. The timeless gloss black plastic surround is a real head turner in any room. It's like having a grand piano on your living room wall. It's a statement. On the contrary, bezeless (TVs with none or minimal plastic surround) OLEDs and LEDs look vacant and almost incomplete.

Last edited:
Associate
Thats my 55” B7 back from LG with a new panel installed. Was well packed for return and a quick slide test shows good uniformity.

Annoyed John Lewis made the process so slow by refusing a warranty claim but now at least they have picked up the bill from LG.

if anyone needs the pdf they sent from their 2018 warranty which does not specifically exclude screen burn let me know.

Last edited:
Soldato
That's my 55" B7 getting collected on the 4th of May for a panel replacement, John Lewis wanted nothing to do with as per their updated screen burn policy, a lot of back and forth with LG saw a reduced repair fee of £100.

I standby OLED in that the picture is simply much more impressive than any alternative I have looked at (subjective), just really disappointing JL would not honour a repair when there was no mention of screen burn as a caveat in their warranty back in when I bought the B7 back in 2017. My Panasonic GT 50 is still going strong 9 years later without a hint of image retention and I remember all the forum chat about how bad it was on a plasma.... the image is now looking pretty dull though.

How did you get it to £100? I’ve got the same tv and size. I got quoted £200 with LG about 3 weeks ago. Holding off for now. Also how did you get the bill picked up? I had my tv from very.

Associate
My TV had a 5 year warranty with John Lewis, although they denied the screen burn was covered in the end it was proven that the warranty I was presented with in March 2018 did not actually specifically exclude screen burn. They asked for a copy of the LG repair bill, the finance team then called me for my bank details and deposited the money. The initially offered to cover 50% as I mentioned in another John Lewis specific thread but after further discussion regarding the warranty in 2018 they paid the full amount.

It appears on my LG call the caller wrongly stated £100, as after providing my card details they withdrew £200... I still have a dispute open asking them to check the supposedly recorded call and provide me with a copy. However since John Lewis have paid the full amount I am not that bothered now.

Man of Honour
Although I've never experienced OLED burn in since having the technology for a good 6+ years, I'm about to order a new 65" OLED and I want to keep it for 5 years minimum. Given the difficulties in this thread with the like of John Lewis and them being difficult to deal with, who would be a decent retailer to go with? The set I am looking at looks to be at the same price with most of them so it's simply a case of finding one in stock from companies who have decent CS and will honour burn in claims.

Man of Honour
I'm sure I've seen a post on avforums fairly recently where Costco offered a full refund 4 years after purchase for burn in on a B6.
Cheers, I'll have a research. Richer Sounds seem to be replacing or repairing sets after some much but their T&Cs specifically state image retention is not covered.

Caporegime
Visited the parents for the first time in a while the other day and the B7 I gave them has pretty bad burn in now. No doubt my mother has been leaving static content on screen for long periods looking at some of the logos.

They haven't said anything about it so not sure if they notice it but it's horrific in certain colours like green, was watching the football at the time. It's still in warranty but obviously, burn-in isn't covered by Curry's or LG on the old sets.

Soldato
dont know about TV`s, i seen enough phones with it that i was put off a TV with it

got an LG 4K IPS instead and couldnd be more happy

Associate
My TV had a 5 year warranty with John Lewis, although they denied the screen burn was covered in the end it was proven that the warranty I was presented with in March 2018 did not actually specifically exclude screen burn. They asked for a copy of the LG repair bill, the finance team then called me for my bank details and deposited the money. The initially offered to cover 50% as I mentioned in another John Lewis specific thread but after further discussion regarding the warranty in 2018 they paid the full amount.

It appears on my LG call the caller wrongly stated £100, as after providing my card details they withdrew £200... I still have a dispute open asking them to check the supposedly recorded call and provide me with a copy. However since John Lewis have paid the full amount I am not that bothered now.

Thanks for posting this. I'm also in a dispute with John Lewis on my 55" LG B6 TV purchased in November 2016 that has screen burn. I don't believe I was ever given a copy of the full terms and conditions of the warranty but I do have an email from John Lewis, for my specific purchase, that lists what their guarantee includes and excludes. I'll see if I can argue the same case with John Lewis.

I'm not sure how best to spread the word but the Sunday Times (Question of Money column) have said they'll investigate my case and they have asked for other users to send in their details too. They have provided specific instructions (so they can filter these out from the many emails they receive) and I'll do a separate post on this and I believe the argument will be that John Lewis should be honouring our rights under the Consumer Rights Act, 2015.
After all the hassle on this I'd be glad for John Lewis and LG to get some bad publicity, given how they are just hiding a clear product defect . I believe they should be given at least partial refunds or providing newer model replacements as I'm sure a straight display replacement will just give you a few more years before it reoccurs.

Back
Top Bottom