Heatsink Orientation ?

Associate
Hi I just put together a new system. I was using a thermalright silver arrow from my old pc. I purchased a new AM4 bracket to mount the cooler.

I am totally lost by this but I cant mount the cooler so it blows ait out of the case. I have to rotate it 90 degrees for it to sit onto the cpu. Does anyone have any ideas?

Should I purchase a newer cooler?

NDvIgNf.jpg 1oCeFn8.jpg FkMV7ky.jpg

Thanks

Associate
Your cooler looks way too large, but can't you just re-orient the fan? Like move the fan closest to the PSU to the left part of the heatsink?

Soldato
I'd monitor your temps and see where you stand, as suggested by @Temp.sgk try moving the fan closest to the PSU and see if it makes a difference.

It might not be ideal as far as airflow goes, but it might not matter as long as you have decent temps.

PS: You might want to remove the plastic seal over the chipset fan.

Associate
OP
Hi thanks for the suggestions. The bracket circled in red is for 1155 socket. Besides it's the same length as the one included in the kit.

The bracket on the motherboard should be more square so it would allow the heatsink to be rotated.

If this is thermalrights solution to upgrading your heatsink to AM4, it's a absolutely terrible one.

It's definitely going to cause heat problems. Might just buy a new one. Would a Noctua D15 fit and would it be a decent improvement?

Associate
I got the Alpenföhn Brocken 3 Black edition (Link) based on a recommendation from here and despite only being able to use one fan due to the VRM heatsink my CPU sits in the 30's (usually about 32°C) at idle and even when gaming for a long period it sits around the low 50's.

The spare fan I use in front of my GPU which keeps it a fair few degrees cooler. The fans are excellent, low rpm, almost silent but high airflow.

Soldato
Maybe a dumb question, but have you tried mounting cooler using the other set of crossbar holes?
You are using front and back holes in mounting bracket.
Side to side holes should be same spacing as front to back holes. ;)
Use the side to side holes in mounting bracket (assuming they are same spacing, they usually are).
Crossbar over cooler base is screwed onto square-ish mounting bracket attached with standoffs screwed into AMD mount. This crossbar has 2 sets of crossbar holes; the set you have cooler mounted with and another set on other 2 sides of mounting frame. Using this 2nd set of holes in mounting bracket would mount cooler front to back. On older mounts these 2 sets of crossbar mounting holes are both same spacing (about 80mm) so crossbar can be mounted front to back (as you now have it) or side to side.

Associate
Hi I just put together a new system. I was using a thermalright silver arrow from my old pc. I purchased a new AM4 bracket to mount the cooler.

I am totally lost by this but I cant mount the cooler so it blows ait out of the case. I have to rotate it 90 degrees for it to sit onto the cpu. Does anyone have any ideas?

Should I purchase a newer cooler?

FkMV7ky.jpg

Thanks

I don't think you've got the correct kit for your cooler.

I have a Thermalright True Spirit 140 cooler and the mount plate above is identical to mine, barring the AM4 holes as mines pre AM4. The True Spirit will fit perfectly (fans exhausting front to rear because the heat pipes are rotated through 90° compared to the Silver Arrow.

I've downloaded three manuals for various Silver Arrows and in each case the mount plate is very different to the one in your picture

Associate
Maybe a dumb question, but have you tried mounting cooler using the other set of crossbar holes?
You are using front and back holes in mounting bracket.
Side to side holes should be same spacing as front to back holes. ;)
The other holes aren't threaded and they're a different pitch.

Permabanned
Change the case. That one is just too cramp for decent air flow. You have a lot of fans driving air in and almost nowhere for it all to go. The orientation of the cooler doesn't really matter as long as you have decent airflow through the case. And unless those drive bays are being used they are just in the way.

Soldato
The other holes aren't threaded and they're a different pitch.
Bummer. I have a couple of similar mounts and both sets of holes are same thread pitch. Are both sets same spacing? Holes same distance center to center?
If hole spacing is correct a tap to thread them is not very expensive. Sorry, I don't know off the top of my head what tap thread-count and pitch is .. think it's M3. Tap costs a few quid.

Man of Honour
Change the case. That one is just too cramp for decent air flow. You have a lot of fans driving air in and almost nowhere for it all to go. The orientation of the cooler doesn't really matter as long as you have decent airflow through the case. And unless those drive bays are being used they are just in the way.
Lol?
That case looks like a Silverstone FT02. One of the best positive airflow cases back in the day...
Still pretty decent case even today. I wouldn't be suggesting to throw away that case just yet. The issue is the heatsink direction, which is the fault of the heatsink mounting mechanism, not the case.

Associate
Bummer. I have a couple of similar mounts and both sets of holes are same thread pitch. Are both sets same spacing? Holes same distance center to center?
If hole spacing is correct a tap to thread them is not very expensive. Sorry, I don't know off the top of my head what tap thread-count and pitch is .. think it's M3. Tap costs a few quid.
Sorry, I'll clarify what I meant. With the picture taken at an angle it's not clear what the shape it is but unfortunately it's rectangular. The spacings are 70mm c-to-c where the clamp fits and 90mm c-to-c at untapped holes.

Associate
Lol?
That case looks like a Silverstone FT02. One of the best positive airflow cases back in the day...
Still pretty decent case even today. I wouldn't be suggesting to throw away that case just yet. The issue is the heatsink direction, which is the fault of the heatsink mounting mechanism, not the case.
I was thinking the same thing!

Associate
I believe this is the mount plate you need. It should match the existing one you used before upgrading, barring the additional AM4 mount holes?

6-630-3157417753.jpg

Back
Top Bottom