How to remove this trim before tiling kitchen?

Soldato
Hey all!

We have someone coming to tile our kitchen area soon. Basically tiling from the work top up.

Would it be expected for me to remove this and the splashback prior to their arrival? Is so how do we get this off? I assume it's just stuck in place with the sealant stuff?

Any chance it will leave a mark on the work top from where it's been covering up part of it since new?

Thanks in advance
Screenshot-20210514-120418-3.png

Trim runs all the way around.

Also how are the splash backs removed. Would be nice to get it ready for the chap if possible

Caporegime
Take it the trims not going back on? Depending on the worktop under the trim it may be a different colour I guess due to cleaning/sun/whatever.

They're probably just stuck on, the glass ones we had previously were done the same as tiles.

Soldato
OP
Take it the trims not going back on? Depending on the worktop under the trim it may be a different colour I guess due to cleaning/sun/whatever.

They're probably just stuck on, the glass ones we had previously were done the same as tiles.

Yeah trims going and tiles are going from the surface up :)

Yeah little worried they're will be some sort of faint witness all the way round?

Could leave them and tile there and up but would look odd imo especially as the trim stops at the spashback

Caporegime
God forbid you talk to people @kinger8938 :p

I'd be tempted to leave them but see what it looks like with some up against it when they're in.

If they're attached with grout or whatever just bear in mind they could take off some of the wall :p

Splashbacks sometimes have screws on the corners, otherwise glued again in some manner presumably.

Soldato
OP
Did you not discuss it with the tiler when they priced the work?

I did to the point of saying we will do away with the trim and the splash back but I didn't think to ask if that's part of the job or if I should do it prior to arrival :)

He's a friend of a friend I'm going to just make contact and ask what he thinks

Soldato
OP
I'd definitely leave it there, personally. Do you know the worktop even goes all the way back to the wall?

Yeah pretty sure it does.

If I leave it and tile from there up, it would just look odd without the splash back as there's no trim there so the tiles would then meet the worktop for that one area.

I guess or leave it and the splash back but i think we prefer the look of tiles over the steel bit

Caporegime
Yeah pretty sure it does.

If I leave it and tile from there up, it would just look odd without the splash back as there's no trim there so the tiles would then meet the worktop for that one area.

I guess or leave it and the splash back but i think we prefer the look of tiles over the steel bit

Best thing to do is eye it all up when it's there tbh :)

Soldato
They'll just be glued to the wall with a bit of grab adhesive.

Just cut the mastic on the top and slowly pry it off the wall with a a nail puller, claw hammer or crow bar. Once off the wall just peal away any mastic from the bottom.

Just take care not to damage it in case you need to put it back on for any reason.

Soldato
Even if it doesn't go all the way, tiles and muck will bring it proud for a decent sealant bead. Take it off or leave, should be all the same. I'd do it yourself as it'll take time to clean the mastic off nicely; time the tiler won't have allowed for IMO.

Soldato
OP
Thanks for tips.

As expected after speaking to my chap, he would like it removed before hand so I'm glad I've asked as not a clue where to start :D

What about the steel splash back I guess that's attached to the hood somehow

Soldato
Thanks for tips.

As expected after speaking to my chap, he would like it removed before hand so I'm glad I've asked as not a clue where to start :D

I doubt it, they are separate products normally made by different manufacturers. There is probably just a couple of clips screwed to the wall holding it up. You might have to remove the outer casing of the hood to expose them.

Associate
Thanks for tips.

We had our kitchen tiled and the splashback was just stuck on with some silicon, the tiler just pried it off easy.

Soldato
Trim and splash back should just be stuck on, shouldn't be too hard to get off.

Don't worry about taking some of the plaster away as the tile adhesive will fill any small gaps.

As for leaving a faint mark on the worktop possibly but once the tiles are on the wall they will likely cover anything as they will come out as far if not slightly further than the trim once all is said and done.

As mentioned above don't forget you will likely need longer socket bolts for your electrical accessories. (M3.5 x 50mm or 75mm depending on the tiles)

Soldato
OP
Trim and splash back should just be stuck on, shouldn't be too hard to get off.

Don't worry about taking some of the plaster away as the tile adhesive will fill any small gaps.

As for leaving a faint mark on the worktop possibly but once the tiles are on the wall they will likely cover anything as they will come out as far if not slightly further than the trim once all is said and done.

As mentioned above don't forget you will likely need longer socket bolts for your electrical accessories. (M3.5 x 50mm or 75mm depending on the tiles)

I think I need to be brave and get prying! I did apply some pressure to the steel splash back from behind and it does pull away a little but is pretty firmly on. It kind of looks like the goes up behind the hood too. May be some fixings to deal with inside there.

He's not coming until the may bank holiday so will tackle it a bit bearer so it's not a mess for weeks ;)

What about a hair dryer or something to heat up the glue, probably a bit OTT.

Back
Top Bottom