Moving Home - Temporary Internet

Soldato
I'm moving home shortly and will be without internet for a couple of weeks until I can get a fixed line installed.

What's the best option these days for a short term solution? I was thinking of either using my phone as a hotspot or buying some sort of 4G/5G wireless dongle/router and an unlimited data sim, although this would need to be a rolling contract as it would be for a month's use only.

Man of Honour
Problem with using phone as a hotspot is if you live with anyone they will lose WiFi when you go out (assuming you take your phone). You could potentially just use any old phone you have lying around though with a dedicated SIM

Man of Honour
Depends how much you want to spend and as above what networks are available in the area and the signal quality.

I bought a TP-Link MR6400 when we moved after deciding against using an older tablet or phone as a hotspot initially using Virgin Mobile and then moving to EE after VM changed to Vodafone who don't have great signal here.

In the end the VDSL connection was up and running quicker than I thought and the speeds significantly increased over the estimates after we sorted internal wiring issues but I've ended up sticking with the 4G to supplement it as living in a very rural location the FTTC isn't very fast.

You can get a variety of 4G router/dongle devices of varying price and capability and generally are better for compatibility than using a phone where CGNAT issues for some reason can be worse i.e. on some networks with some phones it still won't let me log into Steam using a hotspot.

Back
Top Bottom