Fed up with every days GDPR pop up!

Soldato
If you want to live in a country where the concept of private data does not exist, and your NHS health records are sold to the highest bidder, and you can't get life insurance because of what you told your GP last year, or have to pay more for travel insurance, or have a place like OcUK sell your purchasing history to marketing companies so you get even more ads, or being bombarded with contact from weightwatchers because they've bought your order history from Justeat or the footage from next doors Ring doorbell camera is being used by the local council or police without anyones consent (this has happened in the US) then by all means have GDPR revoked.

Associate
I find this thread a bit odd, surely the pop ups you're complaining about are for cookies not GDPR? I thought GDPR was all about how companies handle the data they have on you not whether you consent to using cookies?

I'm sure I saw something recently about a change to the law on cookies being on the cards? The current situation is far beyond the 'spirit' of what the law intended. What was meant to help privacy is now just a nuisance for most people and 90% of the time doesn't actually stop the website using cookies. As others have said here, if it's too hard to opt out then I just leave and go elsewhere.

Associate
He is not off point though as all the cookie bombardment and twisted wordsmithing to get you for harvesting has come about due to the GDPR rollout. It was nothing like this before that passed and kicked in.
Ah hadn't realised, in my head the problem with cookies came first.

They kept it purely to annoy the OP personally.

Finally we've got to the real reason!

Soldato
GDPR just seems to have made the internet even worse for spam. Another poorly thought out EU idea. Now it's been mirrored in UK law, so we can't get rid of it.

And now when DPD deliver your parcel to the wrong address they can't even tell you where it went.

If they want to stop people collecting personal data, make a law which says they have to pay people for their data if it's used for ads. Watch it stop overnight.

Soldato
Dear parliament, I would like to give Corporations all my data for as long as they want, to save me having to agree to click one mouse button on a website when I visit.

Signed
bulldog147

You're wrong, it'd be....

DEAR PARLIAMENT, I WOULD LIKE TO GIVE CORPORATIONS ALL MY DATA FOR AS LONG AS THEY WANT, TO SAVE ME HAVING TO AGREE TO CLICK ONE MOUSE BUTTON ON A WEBSITE WHEN I VISIT.

SIGNED
BULLDOG147

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
I find increasingly web-sites are going to **** for usability :( you clear a few modal popups/overs, finally get to the bit you want just for something else to load in changing the layout, then when you've finally got back to it the next pop over appears trying to get you to subscribe or register or can they help or "you could be our next winner" or whatever other banal rubbish. And that is often after you've resorted to blocking ads and scripts as much as possible.

We are now regressing back toward the days of GIF media bloat sites and pop ups. I guess having broadband now instead of 56k modems makes it barely tolerable.

Caporegime
If they want to stop people collecting personal data, make a law which says they have to pay people for their data if it's used for ads. Watch it stop overnight.

It would have to be made expressly more expensive than what it's currently worth as nobody is going to care about 0.0004p and the fine for taking the data anyway would have to be extremely damaging (to the point of threatening a company's existence) for them to not just ignore the law.

Soldato
GDPR just seems to have made the internet even worse for spam. Another poorly thought out EU idea. Now it's been mirrored in UK law, so we can't get rid of it.

And now when DPD deliver your parcel to the wrong address they can't even tell you where it went.

I'm not sure i understand the connection between controls on private data and unsolicited email and ads. If the ads are just random and untargeted and not trying to sell you something based on private information that you gave to someone else how it is a data protection issue ?

Associate
A prime example of a person who has no understanding of what GDPR is, and what it does.

I don't know who told you the lie that it would stop spam.

Lol I take it you're in one of the GDPR non-jobs????? It would lead to a drop in spam as companies wouldn't be recording or sharing data unnecessarily.

Soldato
To be fair using the internet is incredibly annoying now. Do you want Cookies, gdpr, notifications, location and lord knows what else.

Especially if you have auto cookie removed or blocking so you have to deal with it literally every time.

Associate
GDPR isnt there to stop spam. Spammers don't give two hoots about GDPR, because they're normally offshore shell companies easily folded, hidden and reborn before any sort of legislation can get near them.

It's there to protect your privacy by making organisations which hold your data accountable.
And making sure they give you a choice in how your data is processed. And making sure they protect it.

It has changed companies from saying "oh it was our IT guys fault, so we fired him, all good now" - if they lose their customer data, that's going to be the head of sales who is accountable, left the accounts data on a unprotected cloud server? that's the finance director that is now accountable.
Which puts the responsibility for looking after your data firmly at board level.

Given the size of the fines being slapped about by the EU on companies after a breach and dataloss, companies are having to seriously look at "should we really be holding all this stuff", "do we have a retention policy, do we enforce it" and "what controls do we have around this data"? And some of them are now throwing proper investment at it, because its still cheaper than a £3m fine.

Cookie popups on browsers are annoying, and a great example of what could have been a good idea 15 years ago, slowly and badly implemented and now turned into a quagmire of pish and slop.

Back
Top Bottom