• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Crypto miners could soon flood eBay with cheap CPUs, motherboards and SSDs

Soldato
Read the other bit I posted in the same post:
i did - you mentioned the big scale players as outliers, they are, so i am not disputing that. which is why i never mentioned them

So I mentioned that precisely.
you didn't, you only mentioned the mining farms though not in name. i am talking about the other type of miners those that sit in between the average joe and the farms. these are the ones who will be scripting and hoovering stock up as soon as it hits the 'shelves' - the farms will be trying to buy direct from the manufacturer as we already know has been happening.

Miners can also be small scale. I mine when I am not gaming. Have done for a decade now.
i know they can be small scale, that's exactly the average joe i'm talking about. casual miners who do a bit of mining as an aside to gaming or whatever the primary use of their pc is.

so all in all it is precisely as simple as the other poster was making it out to be (quote below just for clarity on what i'm posting about). while there are $$'s to be made from the gpu's they will be hoovered up no matter how many are released to retail, at least unless some major measures are put in place to prevent multiple user purchases.

The economics don't work, miners will consume all supply, because every additional GPU = additional $$$.
Its not as straight forward as you make it out to be.

Caporegime
The issue here, is not miners as they are entitled to buy as many GPUs they can afford.

The issue here is lack of supply and scalpers. These Come in many forms.

solution is to Flood in the market with GPUs so everyone wanting one can get one.

Then the issue isn't scalpers, as they are entitled to sell at a higher value if they want (it's basically how the world works). The issue is lack of supply period. But the more you supply, the more miners will buy. So the real issue is mining, without mining the GPUs won't be selling to miners - which is driving the price up.

Stu

Stu

Soldato
i did - you mentioned the big scale players as outliers, they are, so i am not disputing that. which is why i never mentioned them

you didn't, you only mentioned the mining farms though not in name. i am talking about the other type of miners those that sit in between the average joe and the farms. these are the ones who will be scripting and hoovering stock up as soon as it hits the 'shelves' - the farms will be trying to buy direct from the manufacturer as we already know has been happening.

i know they can be small scale, that's exactly the average joe i'm talking about. casual miners who do a bit of mining as an aside to gaming or whatever the primary use of their pc is.

so all in all it is precisely as simple as the other poster was making it out to be (quote below just for clarity on what i'm posting about). while there are $$'s to be made from the gpu's they will be hoovered up no matter how many are released to retail, at least unless some major measures are put in place to prevent multiple user purchases.

These discussions would be simpler if we just stop calling gamers that mine on the side with one card as "miners". I occasionally go for a swim, but I would never label myself a swimmer, for example, and a kick about in the park is not the same as being a footballer.

Stu

Stu

Soldato
Then the issue isn't scalpers, as they are entitled to sell at a higher value if they want (it's basically how the world works). The issue is lack of supply period. But the more you supply, the more miners will buy. So the real issue is mining, without mining the GPUs won't be selling to miners - which is driving the price up.

I agree with this... Miners are the problem (those people with no current limit to the about of cards they will buy)... Miners are sweeping up cards from retailers and happy to enable scalpers by paying crazy prices because they will cover the difference by mining in that card (they simply accept the slightly longer ROI for that individual card).

Caporegime
I agree with this... Miners are the problem (those people with no current limit to the about of cards they will buy)... Miners are sweeping up cards from retailers and happy to enable scalpers by paying crazy prices because they will cover the difference by mining in that card (they simply accept the slightly longer ROI for that individual card).

I'm not saying that, miners ain't the issue. The fact that mining exists is what's causing the price/shortage issues to exist. Miners aren't the issue, why should anyone miss out on making money just because it's causing a shortage to someone else. It's like blaming a coal miner for the shortage of a pickaxe - albeit massively different as if were mining coal - we probably need it. Mining coins on the other hand - do we.

Soldato
I'm not saying that, miners ain't the issue. The fact that mining exists is what's causing the price/shortage issues to exist.

Thats not entirely true we had the shortage before mining became popular last year because Nvidia, AMD and AIB's could not make enough cards - mining is not the sole reason its a contributing factor. Remove mining and you would get a flood of 2nd hand cards but the increase in new cards would be small because of the fabrication issues of the GPU and all the other components and then the 2nd hand cards would run out quickly because you still have more demand than supply.

Soldato

Gamers can do that too and just mine while they are not gaming to recoup the difference (plus more).
The problem is, they would rather complain about it and do nothing

Caporegime
It's impossible to flood the market sufficiently as long as there is a simple ROI from mining.

The economics don't work, miners will consume all supply, because every additional GPU = additional $$$.

If people were just gaming on them, yes, you could kill off scalping by having sufficient supply. But people aren't gaming on them.

rubbish. miners don't have an infinite supply of energy.

there is only so much their circuit or phase can take.

so yes flood the market means everyone can get one if you could flood the market. or are you saying someone is going to have 30,000 gpu's running in residential accomodation?

Associate
I bought a 6700 XT this week. It arrived today. My initial plan was to wait a few weeks until they release the water blocks for it and then install it into my main PC (which has a 3080 with water block), then sell my 3080.

The 6700 was a stupid price (740), but after eBay fees my 3080 would probably net me 1300, which is insane, leaving me with 560.

That was the plan....

unfortunately my son asked if we could try the card in his PC, so we did, and now he has “temporarily acquired it”.

I am thinking I will still follow the original plan, but the alternative is to let him keep it and sell his 1660 ti on eBay. That would sell for about 325 net of fees at a guess, but then I would keep my 3080. Decisions....

Caporegime
Trying to stem the flow or make even more money?
Call me a cynic but forcing bundles on miners or scalpers will have no impact on their gpu buying exploits.

more rubbish. its about ROI and profit. if you force lots of expensive parts they sell on at a loss then yes it makes it far less appealing to buy. also retailers get to make the money rather than scalpers. would you rather they sold gpus cheap to miners and scalpers?

my mate was running an old out of warranty 1080ti. he bought a 3070 pre build. it included an upgraded cpu which he used too and sold the system on with a 1080ti and his old cpu in it. it essentially meant he paid retail for the upgrade vs scalper prices and he actually got it in a speedy timeframe

Soldato
I bought a 6700 XT this week. It arrived today. My initial plan was to wait a few weeks until they release the water blocks for it and then install it into my main PC (which has a 3080 with water block), then sell my 3080.

The 6700 was a stupid price (740), but after eBay fees my 3080 would probably net me 1300, which is insane, leaving me with 560.

That was the plan....

unfortunately my son asked if we could try the card in his PC, so we did, and now he has “temporarily acquired it”.

I am thinking I will still follow the original plan, but the alternative is to let him keep it and sell his 1660 ti on eBay. That would sell for about 325 net of fees at a guess, but then I would keep my 3080. Decisions....

Have you checked CEX? They'll give up to £1,700 cash for a 3080, depending on the model. Way less hassle than eBay too.

Back
Top Bottom