What have you done to your car today?

Soldato
How much did you get in the end? Are the autotrader prices actually being paid? The market is nuts at the moment. There is going to be a firm reality check in the next 18 months or so, surely!

Soldato
Re-trimmed the steering wheel, it wasn’t awful, but had the odd spot where it had been caught/worn. It now looks like my old MK2 Leon Sport wheel. In hindsight I would probably have been better going with black stitching.
yOzXuny

1D2dBXF.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
Hardwire kit arrived for my Viofo, I fitted it and set my battery cut-off limit to 12.2, only to realise Viofo had pulled the parking mode support on the A129 Duo (but left it in the Pro) in the 2.1 firmware, next job will be a firmware downgrade.

Also test fitted a 3 channel tuning box kit, since Van-Arken went to the wall years ago, the closest thing to an officially endorsed kit was Lindop Bros (franchise dealer) offering multi-channel kits for £489. Having gone from AWD/5 speed box with the first generation of the same engine to 2WD/6 speed I have to admit it’s felt obviously underpowered. This wasn’t helped by having to go back to the old car recently for a few days. The loom is in place and blanking plug fitted, so no extra torques just yet. Insurance is due soon, my current insurer is inhospitable to any form of modification as well as having history for refusing claims and going to court over three small flower stickers on a car before, so I’ll wait it out.

Wife's car has a flat. Went to put the spare wheel on but then this happened:

How inconvenient.

Now that *is* annoying. Foam as a short term fix? I was all set to order a replacement key and wait 2 weeks when I cracked a key and then rounded it on the RAV, turned out Toyota only have a handful of keys in common use and conveniently/worryingly both the 05 and the 14 plate shared the same key code/key. I replaced the set with something that has a better key design.

Soldato
I put it up for 15K. Red one still on there and got 14,375. Decent spec F-Types and boxsters are selling if they are not massively more expensive then others for sale. Some are at silly prices.

Ah man, glad you got a decent price, but IME if you're getting 10 enquiries in the hour after you've put it up - you've put it up for too little. And after that you should have definitely gone firm on the price. But nevermind, now the exciting part of what to choose next. A Boxster GTS would be a worthy replacement!

Jez

Jez

Caporegime

How inconvenient.
Had the same on a Mercedes of mine years ago, on the M4 hard shoulder too.

Since then i have always binned my locking wheel nuts at the first point of convenience such as having the car into a garage for new tyres. Pointless things to deal with, when have you ever heard of an alloy being stolen this side of about 1995?

Associate
Ah man, glad you got a decent price, but IME if you're getting 10 enquiries in the hour after you've put it up - you've put it up for too little. And after that you should have definitely gone firm on the price. But nevermind, now the exciting part of what to choose next. A Boxster GTS would be a worthy replacement!

I did think that straight away, but none of the others have gone yet and mines only the second in 3/4 weeks to sell. So I think there is a group of people that want them but are not willing to pay much more then 15K (I had load of people after I had sold it tell me as much). Personally I don't think they are worth much more, they are old cars now and have an engine that could be a ticking time bomb.

It cost me 18.5K 6 years and 40K miles ago with a BMW warranty, so I am happy with that (Considering Jag wanted to give me 8K at the start of 2020).

If I didn't want a quick sale I could have got bang on 15K but I wanted the money in my account quickly so I could jump on anything I liked, as stuff is selling so fast. Which worked out as on Monday morning at 9:30 I put the deposit down on hopefully my next car. Roll on Sunday when I get to see it and hopefully take it home.

Last edited:
Soldato
How inconvenient.

Hmmm, that's annoying. The only thing I can think of is to use a punch and hammer to gently hit the piece stuck in there to get it loose, and then get some plies to remove it. Then it's a trip down to the BMW garage with your V5 and VIN for them to look up the right one and buy a new one. Or there should be a number on the locking wheel key socket and you can just quote that number and they should get you the right one. Doesn't help you tonight though, unless you just keep pumping the tyre up and hope it's a slow puncture! Or if you absolutely must change the wheel tonight - get a socket just a tiny bit bigger than the locking wheel bolt, and hammer that mother over it hard, then just use a breaker bar/impact wrench to release it.

when have you ever heard of an alloy being stolen this side of about 1995?

Quite a few times in recent months actually - and all of them had locking wheel nuts on which did absolutely zero to stop them getting nicked! Yeah, I'd advocate binning locking wheel nuts on regular cars too.

Caporegime
I always bin them off also. Stupid things. Nobody is going to steal your wheels unless they are stupidly expensive, and if thats the motivation, a locking wheel nut isn't going to stop them.

Soldato
So, having done the rear brakes the other week (new discs and pads), I decided to do the fronts today. WOW, couldn't believe the crap inside the calipers, just thick black slime and the crappy PAGIT pads literally fell apart in my hands so... all off, cleaned, calipers cleaned with brake cleaner and alloy cleaner... carefully cleaned the seals and the pistons etc, hub all derusted and protected while I was at it... all back with some nice drilled discs and yellowstuff pads. Made a massive difference and I'm running in... makes me realise that your pads can look like they're only 50% worn BUT mine were broken... god knows how...

BucH2jG.jpg

3iAJdn4.jpg

HI1mu0z.jpg

VOVDcZy.jpg

RkmMoHO.jpg

Caporegime
Reminds me of the rears on the V70R lol.

On one side half of both pads had come off and were nowhere to be found...
46xKKDf.jpg
On the other side there was a seized piston in the caliper so one pad wasn't getting pushed against the disk properly...
v19lAjr.jpg

Soldato
Hmmm, that's annoying. The only thing I can think of is to use a punch and hammer to gently hit the piece stuck in there to get it loose, and then get some plies to remove it. Then it's a trip down to the BMW garage with your V5 and VIN for them to look up the right one and buy a new one. Or there should be a number on the locking wheel key socket and you can just quote that number and they should get you the right one. Doesn't help you tonight though, unless you just keep pumping the tyre up and hope it's a slow puncture! Or if you absolutely must change the wheel tonight - get a socket just a tiny bit bigger than the locking wheel bolt, and hammer that mother over it hard, then just use a breaker bar/impact wrench to release it.

Quite a few times in recent months actually - and all of them had locking wheel nuts on which did absolutely zero to stop them getting nicked! Yeah, I'd advocate binning locking wheel nuts on regular cars too.

Thanks for the pointers :) Actually had a small stroke of luck this morning:

IMG-3773.jpg

So now I guess I at least have the chance to buy a replacement key and hit the lock nut a few times before trying to undo it. Only thing is I think BMW quoted me something stupid like £35 plus VAT for a key. Might try a different dealer, or ebay.

I have 4 brand new wheel bolts from BMW to go in there once these stupid lock nuts are finally removed. I think I'll buy another 4 and replace mine too. Nobody is going to want to steal the wheels from a 320d or an X3.

Now that *is* annoying. Foam as a short term fix?
Aye luckily it isn't being driven all that much at the moment so it hasn't been that desperate but I'm going to chuck a can of sealant in there. Hopefully I'll have a solution in some way or another in a couple of days. The tyre is toast and on the cusp of needing to be replaced anyway so nothing to lose.

Last edited:
Soldato
Official Viofo hardwire kit arrived to enable auto parking mode, I fitted it, then discovered that Viofo had pulled the parking mode detection for the A129/A129 Plus. It’s either a firmware downgrade to a pre 2.0 firmware and put up with other issues, a modified 3rd party firmware or wait for Viofo to move 2.3 out of beta and hope it’s re-enabled, so far the 2.x firmwares have been a proverbial car crash and progress is glacial :\

Going from the AWD/5 speed to 2WD/6 speed with essentially the same engine has highlighted that first gear is now a lot shorter and 6th is seemingly more like an overdrive, everything in between feels like the power band is narrower than they should be for a relatively relaxed diesel. I can’t alter the gearing, but widening the power band a little would make for a more relaxed drive. As it’s a Toyota/Denso ECU, and Van-Aarken are no more, a TTE tuning package isn’t available. The closest thing is the Lindop Brothers (Franchise Dealer) multichannel tuning boxes, obviously a re-brand of a 3rd party kit, but being 3 channel it’s FPR/Boost/CAM rather than just an FPR kit that basically throws more fuel in. Unfortunately, although it works, no extra torques for me just yet as my insurer is notoriously unfriendly to any form of modification, including a window sticker. So blanking plug fitted and when my renewal hits in a few weeks I can move to someone who is more reasonable.

Back
Top Bottom