• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Alternative to Amd and Nvidia?

Associate
It's interesting to me because the rumours around intels own development of dGPUs has pointed towards an interest in ray tracing, this was years back when people first found out they were having a stab at GPU prototypes and long before RTX and DXR. Now real time ray tracing is just within our grasps I'd be interested to see what Intel do about that given the hardware accelerating those specific instructions is in its infancy and so much easier to be a challenger to.

Caporegime
I’m reminded of an old joke, Two guys are chatting on their phones, one has just bought the latest Intel GPU. ‘Wow this looks exactly the same as it would on nvidia or ATI!’
‘What FPS are you getting?’
‘I don’t know, the second frame hasn’t appeared yet but it looks identical!’

Soldato
Why optimistic? 3070 performance a year later than everyone else is the opposite of optimism lol.

Intel make CPUs, but that doesn’t mean they can decide to chuck a few billion dollars at R&D and have the world’s fastest GPU magically pop out the other end. Winning at stuff takes time and effort.

Associate
A 6900XT isnt on par with a 3070 lol - it beats a 3090 at times....

As this is Intel`s first attempt, i can only see it `matching` a 3070 in 1 use and be at 3060 or belwo performance for everything else. Low to mid range at best. Just as AMD did with RDNA 1.

Not with their garbage RT performance they don’t.

Also proven DLSS against unproven 1st iteration of their ML solution…

Pretending the above isnt relevant doesnt make it real.

Soldato
Not with their garbage RT performance they don’t.

Also proven DLSS against unproven 1st iteration of their ML solution…

Pretending the above isnt relevant doesnt make it real.

prior to rdna2 release there were supposed leaks and theories and rumours that AMd would beat Nvidia at rayvtracing so it should be no surprise that the same think fsr will beat dlss on its first go

Soldato
Intel are coming later in the year from what I’ve read

I've heard so many announcements over the years about Intel releasing a standalone (or integrated) GPU and promising that it'll deliver performance on par with Nvidia only to find out that it's just vapourware and/or marketing spin.

I'll only believe it when they actually bring something to market that can rival the Nvidia/AMD duopoly ....!

Associate
I've heard so many announcements over the years about Intel releasing a standalone (or integrated) GPU and promising that it'll deliver performance on par with Nvidia only to find out that it's just vapourware and/or marketing spin.

I'll only believe it when they actually bring something to market that can rival the Nvidia/AMD duopoly ....!
That's exactly what I've been saying. I don't think Intel will push anything out this, especially with the logistics issues everywhere.

Associate
This sort of competition will be the same as audi, BMW and Mercedes. Its not going to change prices and once they see what each other has they will just gradually increase are performance so they don't need to do too much R and D behind the scenes.

Caporegime
Remains to be seen just how competitive intel can be, they have the cash to throw behind it for sure. Suppose it all depends on if they stay in the gpu market or not and this interest in it isn’t just a passing notion that will vanish in time.

Don
Soldato
Intel got plenty of talent poached from both Nvidia and AMD. I'm sure they are able to create something with decent performance. The question for me will be how much power draw will be for the performance tier it is in and the price. I certainly hope someone will be able to keep Raja in check. While I loved my Vega 64 it didn't launch well and was expensive to built and therefore launched overpriced for the performance tier it was in. I'm sure we also haven't forgotten the whole RX480 launch event :p (had one of those as well, solid card).

Associate
That's a good start, let's hope it can translate to further releases that can go toe to toe with the big guns from Green and Red.
That's the dg1 model, originally meant to go to system builders only.
The new ones "just around the corner" are the dg2 range, meant to have a models with a spread of performance between the 1650 and the 3070ti ish.

Back
Top Bottom