LG CX (C10) OLED 2020 Thread

Soldato
Very has a 20% back code currently, can get both the 55" and 48" for less than £1000 or the 65" for less than £1500

Went for this, TV arrived last week. Only now had chance to set everything up and found the panel has a visible stuck/half dead pixel on the left hand side of the screen at just above middle. Doesn't show on pure blue, green or when the screen displays black (off). This seems to be the way things go for me when buying anything screen related....

Was a good price, but oh so aware of how the extra warranty from the likes of Costco or RS would have been worth it. I can live with this dodgy pixel, but if it gets worse and more show up I'll be damn ****ed. Very returns on TVs are apparently blood boiling frustrating, and if I did I'd be sat waiting for the next good deal to arrive (if ever).

Edit: found a second stuck pixel that only shows on blue backgrounds. Way out of sight in the top left though.

Last edited:
Associate
Just coming over from the B1, C1 thread where advice got me to grab the CX for my parents. Have the CX 55 setup at my parents place from John Lewis now and lucked out with zero dead, bright or stuck pixels, and appears to be quite uniform too. Surprising for a screen this size. Absolutely glorious to behold. Slight shame I don't have a 4k + hdr capable gpu, or I'd give it a proper run in too gaming wise.

Associate
I believe it's only got BBC iPlayer and ITV Hub. All4 is missing as mentioned above, but it doesn't have any of the smaller players like Horror Bites, POP etc.

Yep. Supposedly My5 and All4 was there are some point recently but got pulled for problems. So in theory they should be returning at some point for those who want them. Unsure on the other ones though.

Got the CX 55” arriving on Wednesday :)

Be quite the upgrade over my 11 year old Sony 40V4000.

Was tempted to go for the new 48” but £100 more for a smaller screen seems a bit crazy.

Yeah, was in same boat. Was aiming for 48" because it was more or less the same dimensions as old TV at my parents plance, but the price wasn't worth it (who pays more for a smaller item?). Got the CX and removed my parents 13 year old Sony 40V3000 recently for the 55. Just make sure you're REALLY strong with light but stable grips, or have someone to help assemble and setup the TV on the 55. Doing it alone is not easy. Or get the setup option from whoever is delivering it. That screen is SOOO thin, it feels like it'll snap or crack at the slightest touch.

Associate
I bought the CX 65 and a brand new PC recently, one thing I can't figure out is why Netflix looks so crap from the PC. I use it from the actual TV and it's perfect. I get weird artefacts in dark scenes and it just looks grainy. I have an 8k/4k 120hz hdmi cable.

5800X / 32Gb / 2Tb hd / GTX970

I wonder if it's the old 970 gpu?

Soldato
Yeah, was in same boat. Was aiming for 48" because it was more or less the same dimensions as old TV at my parents plance, but the price wasn't worth it (who pays more for a smaller item?). Got the CX and removed my parents 13 year old Sony 40V3000 recently for the 55. Just make sure you're REALLY strong with light but stable grips, or have someone to help assemble and setup the TV on the 55. Doing it alone is not easy. Or get the setup option from whoever is delivering it. That screen is SOOO thin, it feels like it'll snap or crack at the slightest touch.

Ah nice, good to know someone else has one of those old Sony’s and up until recently was still going strong :) I paid £400 for it all those years ago and the HD still looks stunning - great TVs.

My only reservation about going OLED is whether I’ll be happy with the peak brightness. Some of the examples on YouTube look a bit dim. What are your impressions vs your parents old Sony?

I have a bit of rearranging of my living room to do so I haven’t requested the setup option. It’s coming from JL and I’ve got with the enhanced warranty just in case :) the only catch is I live on the top (3rd) floor of a block of flats with no lift. I hope the delivery guys are happy enough to carry the box up the stairs.

Soldato
I bought the CX 65 and a brand new PC recently, one thing I can't figure out is why Netflix looks so crap from the PC. I use it from the actual TV and it's perfect. I get weird artefacts in dark scenes and it just looks grainy. I have an 8k/4k 120hz hdmi cable.

Looks fine to me using Win10 on a 3080/1080ti but I think you need a pascal or newer GPU to get 4K netflix content on PC (I think you can also output via mobo with modern intel cpus). If it's not that then perhaps TV profile settings such as black level not matching output from PC or PC using 4:2:0 etc

Soldato

The Netflix app will be applying image processing automatically?

Associate
Ah nice, good to know someone else has one of those old Sony’s and up until recently was still going strong :) I paid £400 for it all those years ago and the HD still looks stunning - great TVs

My only reservation about going OLED is whether I’ll be happy with the peak brightness. Some of the examples on YouTube look a bit dim. What are your impressions vs your parents old Sony?

Looking at them, the Brightness on the CX at default out of the box was comparable with the V3000 my parents had on (more or less) calibrated settings (so no white blowout, but bright and vivid, with maximum colour visible), so brightness wise, I shouldn't think that should be a problem. Once you setup the CX with the Film-maker mode, or the other presets, the brightness will go down though, but that's expected (for use in a darker room if I'm not mistaken).

I have a bit of rearranging of my living room to do so I haven’t requested the setup option. It’s coming from JL and I’ve got with the enhanced warranty just in case :) the only catch is I live on the top (3rd) floor of a block of flats with no lift. I hope the delivery guys are happy enough to carry the box up the stairs.

The local delivery group I had by John Lewis went up 27 odd steps and walked near an entire road (because they parked further down as the only spot available without blocking the road) to deliver my parents one and the communual stairs was wide enough for the 55 for two people to carry without needing to do any acrobatics with the TV. The TV is recommended to be delivered in the usual stand-up position and doesn't weight that much either (25KG max the entire box with TV and stand), so two people is easy. So unless access to your place is much tighter (less than the usual 22 inch door frame size when turning a corner) on the stairs to your place which would complicate things a bit, I shouldn't imagine it's an issue for them to deliver.

Soldato

If you have the output set to 4k/120 then the colour depth will be forced down to 8 bit 4:2:0 as mentioned by stooeh. This is a limitation of HDMI 2.0 so also affects my 1070 and any 20 series cards.

I switched between 4k60 and 1080p120 for this reason (to retain dynamic range) and eventually settled on 1080p all the time as the PC is primarily for gaming. I prefer the TV apps for viewing content anyway as I get a remote control instead of using mouse.

Soldato

The inbuilt Netflix app will be playing content in upto 4k with dolby vision etc, your PC depending on the browser you are using is likely to only be playing content in 720p (Edge can play 1080p) unless you use a addon to make FF or Chrome support 1080 playback.

Associate
Well, after umming and ahhing for about six months, I finally pulled the trigger on a 55" CX. Arriving tomorrow, just in time for ME Legendary :D

So you hesitated for 6 months before you pulled the trigger:D Welcome to the club of OLED:)

I switched between 4k60 and 1080p120 for this reason (to retain dynamic range) and eventually settled on 1080p all the time as the PC is primarily for gaming

So you wasted a beautiful OLED on a 1080p Resolution! A cheap PC monitor would have done a job but it was your choice;)

Last edited:
Associate
HDMI 2.0a/b is 18gbps on any 10/20 series cards. Higher colour depth is more important than full chroma subsampling, and since our OLED panels can handle 10-bit

PC Mode 4096x2160 120Hz 8Bit YCbCr4:2:0 output colour 'Limited' Output dynamic
PC Mode 3840x2160 120Hz 8Bit YCbCr4:2:0 output colour 'Limited' Output dynamic

3840x2160 60hz 12bit 4:2:0
3840x2160 60hz 8bit 4:4:4

4096x2160 60Hz 8Bit 4:4:4
4096x2160 60Hz 8Bit 4:2:0
4096x2160 60Hz 10Bit 4:2:0
4096x2160 60Hz 12Bit 4:2:0

30 series cards

3840x2160 120Hz 8Bit 4:4:4 = 32.08Gbps
3840x2160 120hz 10bit 4:4:4 = 40.10Gbps
3840x2160 120hz 12bit 4:4:4 = 48.11Gbps