What "man jobs" have you done today?

Soldato
Thanks. I'll give that a try but I'm not sure it'll get in to the cracks they're so fine. Almost looks like lines of damp rather than cracks, in some places, but the Stanley knife did seem to follow the path of the lines.

Id Stanley knife that then use red devil foam filler.
Just done similar in my new (to me) house.

I fitted a new humidistat fan today after work in my bathroom. No idea why people cheap out with a £10 rattly fan but hey....

Soldato
I have finally been shamed into starting cutting the laurel trees (they were bushes when we moved in) at the end of the garden, using a bow saw. Today I spent an hour cutting my way in.

The plan is to thin out the branches within easy reach before moving onto the main trunks. I'm dumping the cut branches onto the bramble patch to dry prior to burning them. I'm pretty sure I'll regret that, but...

The laurels cover an area of around 10m x 6m and are around 4 or 5m high, so I will be at this for a while.

Soldato
Tools out !

IMG-20210515-162314.jpg

Bit of fettling on the duck house I built a few weeks back

The whole end opens like a big door for cleaning

IMG-20210515-152103.jpg

With a bit of space

IMG-20210515-152056.jpg

Were moving the ducklings in but want to separate them from the chickens at the moment so but a run in for them

IMG-20210515-162329.jpg

Door opens into the run

IMG-20210515-162348.jpg

With a little ramp to help them get in and out

IMG-20210515-164805.jpg

Heating brooder is going in along with their food / water and a load of cosy bedding

IMG-20210515-164814.jpg

Soldato
Tools out !

IMG-20210515-162314.jpg

Bit of fettling on the duck house I built a few weeks back

The whole end opens like a big door for cleaning

IMG-20210515-152103.jpg

With a bit of space

IMG-20210515-152056.jpg

Were moving the ducklings in but want to separate them from the chickens at the moment so but a run in for them

IMG-20210515-162329.jpg

Door opens into the run

IMG-20210515-162348.jpg

With a little ramp to help them get in and out

IMG-20210515-164805.jpg

Heating brooder is going in along with their food / water and a load of cosy bedding

IMG-20210515-164814.jpg
Good work, how long till they can be in a pancake in hoi soi sauce:D.

Caporegime
Moved the shed, quite literally, two straps under it and four people, moved it across the bog at the back of the garden so we can take the slabs up.

Really need some dry weather now otherwise can't level the mud to put the patio vase down etc. Etc.

Soldato
Didn't want to start a new thread for such a small question, but what kind of isolation valve do people recommend for standard copper pipes? Repressurised the boiler today and the cold water feed valve has a small leak (1 drop every few seconds).
I assume it's just a case of stopping the water into the house, run the taps, then should be ok to take off the isolation valve?
Just want something decent and reliable. Thanks.

Soldato
Didn't want to start a new thread for such a small question, but what kind of isolation valve do people recommend for standard copper pipes? Repressurised the boiler today and the cold water feed valve has a small leak (1 drop every few seconds).
I assume it's just a case of stopping the water into the house, run the taps, then should be ok to take off the isolation valve?
Just want something decent and reliable. Thanks.
The ones I've got in my house are just simple isolation ones and they work fine. I'm sure one side is compression the other is onto some flexi pipe.

Soldato
It will be a slightly more complicated job. You’ll need to drain down the boiler/central heating loop enough so the level is below the valance before you take it off.

You’ll want to top up the inhibitor when you come to refill it.

Soldato
It will be a slightly more complicated job. You’ll need to drain down the boiler/central heating loop enough so the level is below the valance before you take it off.

You’ll want to top up the inhibitor when you come to refill it.

Just read that after taking off the valve. I don't even know what any of that means.. :eek: Other than replacing a bathroom tap, that's as far as my knowledge goes.

I bought a 15mm Pegler isolation valve from Screwfix and just tried to put it on, but it's too big by a tiny bit! Slips right off! :confused::confused:

Soldato
Ohhhh don't worry. I'm an idiot, just needed to hold the valve in place with another wrench and tighten it down... :rolleyes:

How tight should I be making it?

Edit: Everything seems to be in order! Glad I didn't have to call someone in to what is a pretty simple job.

Last edited:
Soldato
Over the weekend I finished my project for this latest lockdown; fully painting the inside of my garage. This took a long time, as I only did one coat of paint per wall or per half of the floor per weekend.

Before:

WCdPUjC.jpg

After:

zee911T.jpg

Each wall received two coats of masonry paint (the first watered down, the second neat). The floor and first row of concrete blocks below the DPC received 3 coats of floor paint (the first diluted with white spirit, the two following coats neat).

I am really happy with the result!

Caporegime
Anyone used Make Good Joint Filler? Ran out of Polyfilla on Saturday so bought this at my local Screwfix. Applied it over some small cracks and some bits of peeled paint I had feathered and prepped on Saturday evening and came to sand it just a minute ago only to find out it literally brushes off with a soft brush. Not a single bit has stuck and it appears to have turned in to dust that can be blown off the wall. The last bit of Polyfilla I applied to the same wall is rock solid.

Soldato
cqUUgR0.jpeg

Ultra-mega-no-light-black-out-blind. Works incredibly well, even if it did try and take part of my thumb off during fitting. A critical part of the sleep strategy for the little one has been absolute darkness. It has worked incredibly well, but the layers of towels and various other bits of junk that had been used to achieve the same effect was really annoying and stopping us from letting light in at all. £170 and 10 days later, a made to measure cassette blackout blind from BlocBlinds. I'd say it blocks 99.9% of light with only 2 minor gaps bottom left and bottom right where the design allows for a 2mm by 18mm gap. A bit annoying but whatever, curtains block that out. Morning routine is a lot more civilised now with allowing the morning light in!

Associate
Is this a man job, or am I now my own housewife?

I proper oxy cleaned my linens for the first time (first time with oxy soaking that is).

Previously putting oxy in as detergent didn't do anything:

Before:

8BBVXWf.jpg.png

After:

pW7OcgX.jpg.png

Also I discovered it allows for a super shortcut for cleaning the bath, just use a post soaked sheet to wipe the whole tub down with, better than bleach!

Also second batch soon:

RFdNWzz.jpg.png

Apparently I sweat blood :( - Leaving those to soak for 2 more hours.

Getting this ottoman with a matching bedsheet to put next to my bed on wednessday, so am going to get everything spotless for another bunch of showroom tier pics https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07T86MNZQ?ref=ppx_pt2_dt_b_prod_image

Back
Top Bottom