• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Anyone just given up on looking for a new GPU?

Associate
Ive stopped looking, no point scrabbling over a card and paying over the odds.
My GTX1080 does the job, Ill get a 30 series when the shortage is over.

Soldato
I've seen rumours today of a 6600XT (2,048 stream processors, 128 TMUs, 32 ROPs, and a 128-bit wide GDDR6 memory interface with 8 GB of memory).

I wonder what pricepoint this would come in at? Could this be at near price parity to my venerable RX480 with double the performance?
Don't think miners will want them as mem bus is lame so should be available if they make plenty. They will still be priced to high though, should be < £170 but will probably be > £300.

Last edited:
Associate
I've seen rumours today of a 6600XT (2,048 stream processors, 128 TMUs, 32 ROPs, and a 128-bit wide GDDR6 memory interface with 8 GB of memory).

I wonder what pricepoint this would come in at? Could this be at near price parity to my venerable RX480 with double the performance?

This shows a rumored performance benchmark, https://youtu.be/wF_FZQP-kaQ?t=273

If it performs about the same as the previous 5700xt I can see it being £300 or so, especially in this market, if they price it much more then it isn't giving a good price performance upgrade for a new generation leap

Associate
Really don't know what to do. 1070 issues - blackouts in certain games - and really regretting building a PC now when I shouldv'e just bought off the shelf.

Not after the earth, just a working card of equivalent capabilities. A bit lost now I think, too late to join waiting lists from what I've read here and most are awfully long.

Pessimistic Friday I suppose.

Soldato
My new GPU arrived yesterday. A Sapphire Toxic HD 5850 2GB. In Battlefield 3 I'm getting around 55 FPS at 1440p with medium settings and it hovers around 60c. It's a great little card and only cost £16.20 :D

It will definitely keep me happy until prices return to normal in 2022 or 2023. I won't even bother checking stock levels in the mean time because my itch has been scratched.

Don't let the shortage beat you. Buy an old GPU and have some fun. I read lots of reviews and checked benchmarks etc. In my head it felt like I was getting brand new card, I got so excited when it arrived.

Associate
I've given up actively looking for a card, if the planets align and I stumble across one I'll buy but other than that I'm just not prepared to invest so much time on a wild goose chase.

Associate
My new GPU arrived yesterday. A Sapphire Toxic HD 5850 2GB. In Battlefield 3 I'm getting around 55 FPS at 1440p with medium settings and it hovers around 60c. It's a great little card and only cost £16.20 :D

It will definitely keep me happy until prices return to normal in 2022 or 2023. I won't even bother checking stock levels in the mean time because my itch has been scratched.

Don't let the shortage beat you. Buy an old GPU and have some fun. I read lots of reviews and checked benchmarks etc. In my head it felt like I was getting brand new card, I got so excited when it arrived.

I have an old 5770 sitting around I should get that going again :D And come to think about it the Phenom x3 720 it was paired with!

Associate
Caporegime
Got an alert for some pretty cheap 3060 TIs via Discord and I just wanted to share with you all. Only £900 :p

What a bargain! Sadly they still sold out in 0.0001 seconds. At that kind of bargain basement price it was inevitable tho.

Caporegime
Got an alert for some pretty cheap 3060 TIs via Discord and I just wanted to share with you all. Only £900 :p

What a bargain! Sadly they still sold out in 0.0001 seconds. At that kind of bargain basement price it was inevitable tho.

People buying at that price need punched in the throat whilst simultaneously getting a 3 stooges style double eye poke.

Permabanned
I really hope there's a backlash from game developers as I'm not buying any new games to play on my GTX 770.

I nearly used my gpu savings on an oled but our I.T manager said he may be able to get some 3070's in about 3 months. Until then it's me, my 400 Steam backlog and currently Lara Croft in Rise of the Tomb Raider.

Associate
Yeh, wanted a 3070 or 3080, given up now.

I sold my vega 56 that I bought new, at a profit recently, stuck an old 7870XT (Tahiti) 2GB in my PC to play stuff I already had in progress (Rdr2 mainly). I've supplemented that with Stadia for cyberpunk and GFN on the locked-in founders price for most other PC gaming.
Also managed to snag a XBsX that I'm trying out at the moment. My last console was a Ps3 featuring vaseline-vision and a lot has changed since then!

Last edited:
Associate
I've given up building new computers, I wanted a small computer for the kids, no games, just really something to play videos and let them have some silly games. Couldn't find a reasonably priced card, so I'm expending zero £££s and will go down the route of getting another tablet. In the same manner I was going to build a small backup machine on the cheap, so no onboard graphics, couldn't do so since ... yes, no cheap cards. It keeps going and actually impacting businesses, we were going to build a high performance system for machine learning calculations, it would have brought at least 2-3 PhDs to play with it and a postdoc, well, not anymore, we simply cannot afford the hardware at current prices.

Stu

Stu

Soldato
I've given up building new computers, I wanted a small computer for the kids, no games, just really something to play videos and let them have some silly games. Couldn't find a reasonably priced card, so I'm expending zero £££s and will go down the route of getting another tablet. In the same manner I was going to build a small backup machine on the cheap, so no onboard graphics, couldn't do so since ... yes, no cheap cards. It keeps going and actually impacting businesses, we were going to build a high performance system for machine learning calculations, it would have brought at least 2-3 PhDs to play with it and a postdoc, well, not anymore, we simply cannot afford the hardware at current prices.

Why would you not use a cheap Intel CPU like the 11400 with integrated graphics for the kids' rig and the small backup rig?

Back
Top Bottom