The anti Israel = anti semitism agenda

Status
Not open for further replies.

NVP

NVP

Soldato
OP
The conflict predates my birth. More than half a century ago. Will it ever cease do you think in the next 50 or 100 years?
At the rate of recent escalation there is potential Gaza will have been dealt with, but await the inevitable new Kashmir that will be Jerusalem.

Man of Honour
I just hope that Israel doesn't eradicate Palestine.

If they do I'm sure there would be a lot of temporary finger waving and protestation globally, that would be forgotten in due time. And Israel will carry on seen as innocent and that it had done everything legitimately, and will be free of blame.

It's funny people that get in flap about being anti Israel, when it's not at all being anti-Jew in the slightest. What does a religion have to do with a government's actions? I think it's a good way of diverting attention and the issues.

Soldato
It's explicitly called out in the internationally accepted definition of antisemitism as an example of antisemitic behaviour.
jesus, so if israel, for arguments sake, starts acting like the nazi regime and begins exterminating people for whatever reason they decide, it's antisemtic to compare those actions to that of the nazis? and you don't see any issue with this internationally accepted definition of antisemtic behaviour?

Soldato
So much for it being a faked video?
Go to top level comment by user called Easytype for context.
https://www.reddit.com/r/unitedking...assengers_in_car_convoy_filmed_yelling_f_the/

Seems like it was removed as matter of course as videos are usually not allowed on that sub, and just because "videos with audio overlays" are included in the list of possible reasons for removal, one genius on twitter is now touting that as the sole reason for removal. So on balance my guess is it's probably legit. I could be wrong, that's just how I see it.

We do live in a world where you can barely trust anything now though, scepticism levels should rightly be high for any videos like this that are hard to verify.

Man of Honour
jesus, so if israel, for arguments sake, starts acting like the nazi regime and begins exterminating people for whatever reason they decide, it's antisemtic to compare those actions to that of the nazis? and you don't see any issue with this internationally accepted definition of antisemtic behaviour?

You can discuss and critique the actions of Israel without using Nazi references, just as you can discuss and critique BLM without using racial slurs.

Soldato
You can discuss and critique the actions of Israel without using Nazi references
why? if some of the actions of the Israeli start are similar to some of those employed by the nazi regime why is not ok to compare, why is that antisemtic and why do you not see the problem with that?

just as you can discuss and critique BLM without using racial slurs.
say what now? bit of an odd comparison. what would make more sense would be to say, you can't compare some of the actions of the BLM to that of some of the actions of Black Panther movement without being racist......oh wait you can, whether correctly or not and no one would call you racist for it.

Man of Honour
why? if some of the actions of the Israeli start are similar to some of those employed by the nazi regime why is not ok to compare, why is that antisemtic and why do you not see the problem with that?

say what now? bit of an odd comparison. what would make more sense would be to say, you can't compare some of the actions of the BLM to that of some of the actions of Black Panther movement without being racist......oh wait you can, whether correctly or not and no one would call you racist for it.

Standard starting principle of equality law in the UK, offense is defined by the victim, not the offender.

It doesn't matter whether you don't see the equivalence or offense in the action, because you are not the person or group it is aimed at.

Soldato
Standard starting principle of equality law in the UK, offense is defined by the victim, not the offender.

It doesn't matter whether you don't see the equivalence or offense in the action, because you are not the person or group it is aimed at.

That is pure nonsense, to a racist the fact someone is of a different ethnic background is the offence itself. So now what?

Soldato

doesn't answer what i asked but bang you right on. the state of israel has more or less successfully forced or conned the international community into accepting that criticism of the state is the same as criticizing the jew themselves. utter nonsense and simply allows the state to do what it wants.

a quick definition of antisemitism reads as, hostility toward or hostility against Jews as a religious or racial group.

not sure how the comparison of some of the states actions to those of the nazi regime equates to antisemitism. and no normal thinking person should accept it as such. can a jewish person be antisemtic towards themself??

NVP

NVP

Soldato
OP
Being a racist isn't a protected characteristic...
You continue to conflate the recent and highly contested definition of Anti-Semitism with racism quite repetitively in this thread - You didn't respond to Dowie's analysis of your initial use and don't appear honest enough to wish to discuss.

For someone a intelligent as yourself I find your continual fall-back quote quite laughable and worrying.

For reference:
That's a bit of a leap tbh... while antisemitism is (usually) synonymous with racism when you're including things like a position that Israel shouldn't exist* under that sort of definition of antisemitism then it doesn't logically follow that all antisemitism is racist. It's perfectly possible for someone like @Le Clandestin Brun to hold that position and therefore fall under that detention of antisemitism but also not be racist IMO.

If you're going to claim it is racist then you really ought to give an argument as to why it is racist rather than simply highlighting that it falls under a defention of antisemitism and simply concluding that therefore it must be.

It might we worth drawing a distinction between narrower definitions of antisemitism, something that has existed and could be defined before the state of Israel was created and that is generally describing racism towards Jews and "new antisemitism" which includes rather broader definitions that go beyond what could be summarised as just racism towards jews but also assumes that certain political positions are the result of some racism towards jews (and those underlying assumptions may or may not actually be the case).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_antisemitism

*FWIW I think there should be a two-state solution, Israel should pull its settlements back from the West Bank and UN observers should set up a green line so to speak.

Man of Honour
doesn't answer what i asked but bang you right on. the state of israel has more or less successfully forced or conned the international community into accepting that criticism of the state is the same as criticizing the jew themselves. utter nonsense and simply allows the state to do what it wants.

a quick definition of antisemitism reads as, hostility toward or hostility against Jews as a religious or racial group.

not sure how the comparison of some of the states actions to those of the nazi regime equates to antisemitism. and no normal thinking person should accept it as such. can a jewish person be antisemtic towards themself??

In the words of Dwayne 'The Rock' Johnson... "it doesn't matter what you think".

That may sound dismissive, it's not entirely meant to be, but you're asking me to defend a specific case that you clearly don't like, whereas I'm coming from the position of respecting the principle.

It doesn't matter whether you think or intend the comparison to be racist, it matters that it's perceived or taken as racist.

This is especially true in this case where the definition has been formally adopted by the government. (For the avoidance or doubt, I have no issue with also adopting formal definitions of other types of racism either).

Are you rejecting the principle in full (thereby moving the onus from perception to confirmed intent for all forms of racism), or are you just suggesting it shouldn't apply in full to certain groups?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom