Fed up with every days GDPR pop up!

Caporegime
Lol I take it you're in one of the GDPR non-jobs????? It would lead to a drop in spam as companies wouldn't be recording or sharing data unnecessarily.

No, I just work in marketing and headed up our company's GDPR compliance project.

Decent companies wouldn't have been doing that in the first place, and the dodgy ones still are regardless of GDPR. The primary intention of it is to give consumer better control over and understanding how their data is used and stored by companies, and giving them more rights in relation to that. Dodgy spam comes from dodgy companies who don't give a crap either way.

Soldato
Lol I take it you're in one of the GDPR non-jobs????? It would lead to a drop in spam as companies wouldn't be recording or sharing data unnecessarily.

My GDPR "non job" is protecting the sensitive financial information of a number of people well in excess of the population of western Europe. You really want us to know where it is, how long we are keeping it for and who we do or do not share your information with. Believe me, we could make an awful lot of money out of it.

Soldato
GDPR isnt there to stop spam. Spammers don't give two hoots about GDPR, because they're normally offshore shell companies easily folded, hidden and reborn before any sort of legislation can get near them.

It's there to protect your privacy by making organisations which hold your data accountable.
And making sure they give you a choice in how your data is processed. And making sure they protect it.

It has changed companies from saying "oh it was our IT guys fault, so we fired him, all good now" - if they lose their customer data, that's going to be the head of sales who is accountable, left the accounts data on a unprotected cloud server? that's the finance director that is now accountable.
Which puts the responsibility for looking after your data firmly at board level.

Given the size of the fines being slapped about by the EU on companies after a breach and dataloss, companies are having to seriously look at "should we really be holding all this stuff", "do we have a retention policy, do we enforce it" and "what controls do we have around this data"? And some of them are now throwing proper investment at it, because its still cheaper than a £3m fine.

Cookie popups on browsers are annoying, and a great example of what could have been a good idea 15 years ago, slowly and badly implemented and now turned into a quagmire of pish and slop.

100% this.

Associate
I wouldnt call that company a spamhouse, just a collection of chumps who thought they could make a quick buck. They sent a 9000 emails, got caught, tried to cover it up, and got slapped for it.

Has GDPR seen a reduction in the number of companies scraping contact details from LinkedIn and using the excuse of 'we have a legitimate parallel interest' to try and connect, peddle things into your inbox, send you sodding meeting invites with cryptic agendas? No.
Has it seen US corporates offering training and seminars for things that are irrelevant to your company or you as an individual? No.
Has it seen a reduction in the number of "get a concealed carry permit", "date you hot neighbor" or "problems getting it up" turning up in junk? Nope.

I would say spam is one area GDPR hasn't made any sizeable impact.

Soldato
I wouldnt call that company a spamhouse, just a collection of chumps who thought they could make a quick buck. They sent a 9000 emails, got caught, tried to cover it up, and got slapped for it.

Has GDPR seen a reduction in the number of companies scraping contact details from LinkedIn and using the excuse of 'we have a legitimate parallel interest' to try and connect, peddle things into your inbox, send you sodding meeting invites with cryptic agendas? No.
Has it seen US corporates offering training and seminars for things that are irrelevant to your company or you as an individual? No.
Has it seen a reduction in the number of "get a concealed carry permit", "date you hot neighbor" or "problems getting it up" turning up in junk? Nope.

I would say spam is one area GDPR hasn't made any sizeable impact.

None of those things are data privacy concerns and would not be covered by data privacy regulation. Getting denied healthcare because they know from your credit card statements that you've bought cigarettes would be.

Soldato
Most websites in the UK don't implement it well.

In EU countries I see less annoying more minimalist slimline banners that don't interfere with my viewing the site. Often they can just be closed (which means permission isn't granted). In the UK you get huge modal windows where you choice is to either accept or view a bunch of settings then save them which you can't since you've rejected cookies. It's a mess, and stops you browsing the site until a choice made.

Back
Top Bottom