Monitor Repair - Cost effective?

NVP

NVP

Soldato
Howdy,

I've pulled an old Dell monitor out the loft and tried to set it up but unfortunately it does not appear to turn on. I thought perhaps it was an issue with the Dell Touch Buttons so took the bezel off to see if I could figure it out but quickly realised I shouldn't have bothered as I don't know what I'm doing.

Has anyone any experience of getting electrical components repaired for a decent price? Any recommended repairers in the Midlands?

It is 11 years old now, but it's a 16:10 ratio which matches my working 27" so was hoping it was repairable to use them side by side again.

Soldato
Quite probably dead electrolytic capacitors.
(unless there was some clear other problem leading to monitor's retirement)
Those have certain shelf life even as new and if those had already taken wear when monitor was retired, they would take sitting cold even less well.
And if those were lower quality ones to start with, their failure is even more likely.

Actual mechanical work is rather easy and doesn't take that long after getting monitor opened.
But unless having stock of low impedance/high ripple current quality capacitors, some time is needed to find good replacements.
Throwing some generic capacitors or cheap craps into SMPS just isn't good thing.

NVP

NVP

Soldato
OP
Ah ok, thank you :) Could I identify that easily enough using a multimeter? I've figured out how to get the back off and open it up, but it's made me even more wary to mess around with it. I feel like I should just pay an expert...

Associate
Ah ok, thank you :) Could I identify that easily enough using a multimeter? I've figured out how to get the back off and open it up, but it's made me even more wary to mess around with it. I feel like I should just pay an expert...

Mostly you just need to visually inspect them to see if the tops are bulging. You should look on youtube, type in stuff like monitor power board repair.

Soldato
Lack of bulging doesn't guarantee functionality.
Especially smallest caps can just go dry without external signs.
Also cheap capacitors might have worser sealing letting them dry without building pressure.

And in SMPS filtering use you would have to measure ESR, which needs special meter.
Would be just cheaper to replace capacitors.
Mains voltage bulk capacitor of primary is the most expensive one and others are pretty much you'll get multiple of them for £1.

NVP

NVP

Soldato
OP
Yeh, I have no idea what I'm doing :confused: ...I think I'm going to give this to someone else for repair else it may end up a rather large paperweight. Thanks for the replies :)

Back
Top Bottom