Which underlay?

Associate
I have just bought Tredaire Citra underlay.. does anyone have them and how does it feel under the feet?

I was going to get Dreamwalk, but I was told Tredaire Citra is better as it is higher density

Last edited:
Soldato
Best thing to do is get a decent sample and stand on it with some carpet and see what you think. Why shops don't give door-mat sized samples of carpet and underlay for people to compare I don't know.

Soldato
the thickest one you can afford.
It's not that simple.

Where's it going? What do you want to prioritise?
Comfort, carpet longevity, thermal properties, sound.

For instance I use a thicker one in places like bedrooms for ultimate comfort.
A thick but higher density or even dual compound in places like livingrooms.
On stairs 8mm rubber crumb is my favourite.

Permabanned
It's not that simple.

Where's it going? What do you want to prioritise?
Comfort, carpet longevity, thermal properties, sound.

For instance I use a thicker one in places like bedrooms for ultimate comfort.
A thick but higher density or even dual compound in places like livingrooms.
On stairs 8mm rubber crumb is my favourite.

Then get the thinnest one you can find or don't use any at all. :p

Soldato
there are three fourthings to consider :
1) material (these days the common default is the foam style - avoid rubber, it crumbles over time and can even stick to the floorboards which can be a PITA if you decide you want to expose them in future).
2) backing - paper, felt or weave. We went for paper (trying to avoid anything carpet moths like to nest/nibble)
3) density and resilience (how firm and bouncy it is)
4) thickness (which also contributes to the feeling)

You can have a thick low density underlay and it can feel worse than a thinner denser underlay. Really thick underlays can also cause problems if you're trying to fit a thick carpet into existing skirtings and reuse existing edge track / gripper. If the underlay is too thick you can have to increase the depth of gripper you use to get the carpet to anchor properly. Obviously there is a sweet spot, something too dense won't be squishy enough and at that point you might as well not bother having underlay.

We went for something middle of the range, reasonable density and moderate thickness. It's been great so far. Only done thick carpets with it though, still to lay the thinner carpet but hopefully it will work just as well with that one too.

Soldato
there are three fourthings to consider :
1) material (these days the common default is the foam style - avoid rubber, it crumbles over time and can even stick to the floorboards which can be a PITA if you decide you want to expose them in future).
2) backing - paper, felt or weave. We went for paper (trying to avoid anything carpet moths like to nest/nibble)
3) density and resilience (how firm and bouncy it is)
4) thickness (which also contributes to the feeling)

You can have a thick low density underlay and it can feel worse than a thinner denser underlay. Really thick underlays can also cause problems if you're trying to fit a thick carpet into existing skirtings and reuse existing edge track / gripper. If the underlay is too thick you can have to increase the depth of gripper you use to get the carpet to anchor properly. Obviously there is a sweet spot, something too dense won't be squishy enough and at that point you might as well not bother having underlay.

We went for something middle of the range, reasonable density and moderate thickness. It's been great so far. Only done thick carpets with it though, still to lay the thinner carpet but hopefully it will work just as well with that one too.
Not all rubber underlay is bad, agree to avoid sponge rubber, but crumb rubber is fantastic for high traffic areas.

Associate
How does the treadaire compare with plushwalk?

I have an optional choice of new carpets in my lounge after getting my fitted units, if the cost of lifting and refitting my current one isn't worth keeping it.

My house came with 8mm of the least dense PU foam and basic 5mm polypropylene twist, which isnt worth keeping if it will cost anything over £50 to lift and refit.

Last edited:
Soldato
Easiest way to describe the rubber crumb is it's basically the same stuff that they use on children's play areas.
Highly supportive, but with some give.

Soldato
Most of my new house I did with Cumulus Cloud 9 11mm. It was highly recommended here many years ago, there is a large thread about underlay somewhere here. Its probably the best stuff I have ever used. The price of it has rocketed in the last year. Last time I did a room was about 20 months ago, and cost me about £45 for 15m square, its priced up at £90 now, possibly Covid related price hikes.

Associate
Most of my new house I did with Cumulus Cloud 9 11mm. It was highly recommended here many years ago, there is a large thread about underlay somewhere here. Its probably the best stuff I have ever used. The price of it has rocketed in the last year. Last time I did a room was about 20 months ago, and cost me about £45 for 15m square, its priced up at £90 now, possibly Covid related price hikes.

Plushwalk is white Memory Foam throughout and far denser than any PU foam underlay.

I haven't compared prices for a while but the last I did for 25m2 rolls it was £60 for the thickest cumulus or £80 for plushwalk 12.

If the PU foam is too expensive, then it would be better to opt for the memory foam, at least if comfort is priority.

I have a Brintons brintfelt sample that came with a bunch of carpet samples, and its a far less comfortable but much stronger and denser support, I'd pick something like that or the rubber crumb tredaire for hallway and stairs, but was wanting maximum comfort for the lounge.

Unfortunately Brintons stopped making the carpet and colour I wanted (Majestic in Marrakesh gold) and while they released a new equivalent range, I can't find the same yellow - green spectrum colour so would rather just keep my current polypropylene crap and wear it out completely before replacing.

New build 5mm polypropylene twist and 8mm cheapest PU foam = flattened pile in 2 months. I already tried brushing it to restore the pile which works until it's stepped on again.

Associate
Do people use separate underlay for different rooms?

Got a quote from Carpetright, the price for the carpet seems fair, but things like underlay and gripper is ridiculous. I will likely get my own underlay, gripper and door bars.

Thinking of going for Cloud 9 Cumulus 11mm for bedrooms.

Then Cloud 9 Super Contact 10mm for stairs and landing as it is a much density foam. Does this make sense? :confused:

Associate
I sell flooring and one of ours is an 11mm a high density crumb foam which I sell a ton of for all over the house but personally I'd do 9mm on high traffic areas and 11mm for bedrooms and lounges. I'd go and get some Cloud 9 as it's one of the cheapest and best quality around.

Back
Top Bottom