Poll: what method do you use for unlocking your phone and are you concerned about the use of biometrics?

Phone Unlocking - how do you do yours?

• PIN

Votes: 50 36.0%
  • Password

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • Fingerprint

Votes: 105 75.5%
  • Face recognition

Votes: 47 33.8%
  • Pattern

Votes: 14 10.1%
  • Other

Votes: 4 2.9%

• Total voters
Associate
Would you rather a password leak or fingerprint leak? Can you imagine the ramifications of the latter? At least you can change your password.

Again, so what? (no offense :) ). Not everything I use, uses biometrics. If it gets leaked and used, then I'd turn it off. If there's more I'd need to do to feel safe again then cross that bridge when I get to it. But really, I personally won't lose sleep until it starts happening to people on a large scale.

Capodecina
Soldato
OP
Not everything I use, uses biometrics. If it gets leaked and used, then I'd turn it off.

So something like this doesn't bother you?

Biostar security software 'leaked a million fingerprints'

As well as fingerprint records, the researchers say they found photographs of people, facial recognition data, names, addresses, passwords, employment history and records of when they had accessed secure areas.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-49343774

Soldato
I've used PIN up till now but I'm now thinking of fingerprint unlock because of ease of use, though I'm concerned about my biometric data going to Google. Yes, Google say that doesn't happen, but they would say that. That said, your fingerprints are all over your screen anyway, they could always create a script in the OS which sends that data to them if they wanted.

If it's anything like biometric 'clocking in' systems I used to support years ago - the actual biometric data is just a series of dots, that get generated form the ridges etc in your fingerprint; the print itself (as in what you'd see on a Police system) is never recorded as anything other than just some dots.

Associate

Nope! But I guess that's because that's a bucket of so much data that could be held to ransom rather than targeted use. And it's not my personal phone.

I don't believe anything is safe, don't need a news report on the latest leak to renew any fears. It'll be the stuff that isn't reported that sneaks in and disrupts your life.

Associate
What do you use to unlock your phone?

PIN
Pattern
Password
Fingerprint
Face recognition
Other

I've used PIN up till now but I'm now thinking of fingerprint unlock because of ease of use, though I'm concerned about my biometric data going to Google. Yes, Google say that doesn't happen, but they would say that. That said, your fingerprints are all over your screen anyway, they could always create a script in the OS which sends that data to them if they wanted.

What do other people use here and are you concerned about the use of your biometric data?

Oh noes Google has my finger prints! lol get a grip. You use Google, they have all your info anyway, what is them having your finger print going to do? worry less about this type of thing, you may live longer!

I use fingerprint > pin

Soldato
Going to visit my Father in the nursing home is fun. Have to wear a mask, disposable apron and latex gloves. Can't use face recognition and can't use fingerprint, plus the gloves make using the touchscreen impossible.

Soldato

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-49343774

A small company making biometric locks versus two of the largest tech companies in the world... There's also hundreds of security researchers who are constantly attacking and looking for vulnerabilities in both apple and android devices. I'm confident that if there was a vulnerability present, it would likely have been discovered by now, biometric unlock isn't a new feature its been around for a long time now.

Pattern.

Never use face or fingerprints to secure your phone, especially if you live in the US as you can be legally compelled to unlock it using them.

No different than the UK then? You can still be legally compelled to provide password/pin/pattern to unlock the phone. I believe there is quite a harsh punishment for refusing to do so. Criminals have to weigh up whether they'd get a lighter sentence from refusing to unlock the phone versus what they'd get from the evidence on the phone.

Soldato
No different than the UK then? You can still be legally compelled to provide password/pin/pattern to unlock the phone. I believe there is quite a harsh punishment for refusing to do so. Criminals have to weigh up whether they'd get a lighter sentence from refusing to unlock the phone versus what they'd get from the evidence on the phone.

No, it's different to the UK. Here you can be legally compelled to unlock your phone. In the US there's the argument that you have a constitutional right not to be forced to self-incriminate. Providing biometric data isn't self-incriminating as you do that just by walking around, but unlocking your phone is (technically at least) being forced to provide evidence against yourself.

Soldato
Fingerprint / pin for phone, face for tablet. End up using the pin lots as my finger prints are apparently quite shallow (?!). Would love to use face for phone too but Google are asses in that regard.
Not hugely bothered about apple/Google leaking my data... Way bigger things in life to concern myself with.

Back
Top Bottom