M27Q vs 27GL850-B?

Associate
Any recommendations on what I should do:

A) Received this monitor for £293 and live with those two tiny dots
B) Return and exchange for another one without the pixels
C) Return and get a LG 27GL850-B as a replacement

Also I currently have my two monitors connected: Gigabyte M27Q and IIyama 24.5 Blackhawk 1080p.

You can clearly tell the 1440p IPS 144hz is much shaper and smoother and vibrant, but in terms of the text, I can't see a major difference apart from it being smaller due to resolution.

Is there a test I can do to see what this BGR issue is?

Worth lightly tapping the part of the screen with the dots to rule out any trapped dust particles that may have got in.

If they are dead pixels, its worth checking what the policy is for returns. Some manufacturers only return or refund if the dead pixels or stuck pixes are more than 5 (or 3) in the first year. Think its a personal preference whether you can live with a couple of them. Some might notice them every time others might not care. So its upto you if you want to go to the hassle of a full return.

Caporegime
Looks like dust or a manufacturing defect, doesn't it. The bigger of the two black spots looks horizontal to me and ever-so-slightly wider than the width of a single pixel. Doesn't look like it could be failed sub-pixel, as they're vertically aligned in that model.

Probably couldn't lose anything by gently tapping/massaging the affected area.

Also if it was a failed sub-pixel that pixel would be coloured and not "white" like the rest of them. However in the screenshot it doesn't look coloured.

Associate
OP
Worth lightly tapping the part of the screen with the dots to rule out any trapped dust particles that may have got in.

If they are dead pixels, its worth checking what the policy is for returns. Some manufacturers only return or refund if the dead pixels or stuck pixes are more than 5 (or 3) in the first year. Think its a personal preference whether you can live with a couple of them. Some might notice them every time others might not care. So its upto you if you want to go to the hassle of a full return.
You my friend, are a genius! lol

I didn't want to prod/poke the screen just in case I was returning it but I gave it a good tap there and the dots are away, loaded up dead pixel check and all colours show fine.

I suppose that's a bonus having £35 off your monitor, that can go towards a over inflated GPU now :)

Associate
You my friend, are a genius! lol

I didn't want to prod/poke the screen just in case I was returning it but I gave it a good tap there and the dots are away, loaded up dead pixel check and all colours show fine.

I suppose that's a bonus having £35 off your monitor, that can go towards a over inflated GPU now :)

Lol, glad that sorted it :). As said above, didnt look like a stuck/dead pixel so was worth a try.

Associate
OP
Lol, glad that sorted it :). As said above, didnt look like a stuck/dead pixel so was worth a try.
When I ran the test for each colour, the fact it only showed on white gave me suspicions.. but I've never had to deal with one before so, learn something new everyday.
Seems like a very "technical" fix.
Wonder if I punch the screen hard enough it will turn into 4K ;)

Thanks again

Associate
Any recommendations on what I should do:

A) Received this monitor for £293 and live with those two tiny dots
B) Return and exchange for another one without the pixels
C) Return and get a LG 27GL850-B as a replacement

Also I currently have my two monitors connected: Gigabyte M27Q and IIyama 24.5 Blackhawk 1080p.

You can clearly tell the 1440p IPS 144hz is much shaper and smoother and vibrant, but in terms of the text, I can't see a major difference apart from it being smaller due to resolution.

Is there a test I can do to see what this BGR issue is?
I mean if it was me I dunno, Dead Pixels are common but then if you're going to obsess over them then is it really worth it to save £30 odd quid? Are you happy? if not then you know the answer mate. My current monitor has a dead pixel in the corner, I ended up getting a £50 partial refund, I prob wouldn't kept it regardless because it's hassle sending things back and obsessing over these small defects but each to their own. Personally I think the GL850 is awful, the contrast performance is unacceptable but then if you play FPS games I don't think it matters and the Nano Cell panels do excel in motion.

Associate
OP
I mean if it was me I dunno, Dead Pixels are common but then if you're going to obsess over them then is it really worth it to save £30 odd quid? Are you happy? if not then you know the answer mate. My current monitor has a dead pixel in the corner, I ended up getting a £50 partial refund, I prob wouldn't kept it regardless because it's hassle sending things back and obsessing over these small defects but each to their own. Personally I think the GL850 is awful, the contrast performance is unacceptable but then if you play FPS games I don't think it matters and the Nano Cell panels do excel in motion.
Read last comment m8, no more issue, turned out to be trapped dust behind screen :)

Soldato
@Rowan88

Can you help here please?Just bought this monitor. I take it clear type has solved the text display completely?

I also want to use this for console gaming, since it doesn't have built-in speakers, can I use usb only powered speakers i.e. powering from the monitor only, not from plugging into PC?

Associate
OP
@Rowan88

Can you help here please?Just bought this monitor. I take it clear type has solved the text display completely?

I also want to use this for console gaming, since it doesn't have built-in speakers, can I use usb only powered speakers i.e. powering from the monitor only, not from plugging into PC?
Cleartext - All I can say is I have been using it for months now and I love it, the text doesn't seem an issue to me at all so it gets a thumbs up from me. Turn on Clear Text, pick the boxes that look crisp to you and should be good enough.

In terms of the PC speaker situation, I have not tried it but I would need to dig out some old speakers to try (dont see my Yamaha HS5s working via it).

Soldato
Cleartext - All I can say is I have been using it for months now and I love it, the text doesn't seem an issue to me at all so it gets a thumbs up from me. Turn on Clear Text, pick the boxes that look crisp to you and should be good enough.

In terms of the PC speaker situation, I have not tried it but I would need to dig out some old speakers to try (dont see my Yamaha HS5s working via it).

Please let me know about usb speakers, if it does work I'll probably get a creative pebble v3.

Also let's say I only have my laptop connected via usb c, will the other usb ports work on the monitor?

Back
Top Bottom