This Business and Moment...

Soldato
It was brought up because he had a warped vision of what autistic people are like and pigeon holed me as such. The role I was in at the time was an analyst role but I was always working with my other colleagues and helping out when it was busy picking orders or whatever.
I don't hold any grudges, I left on good terms (not that I ever want to go back into private sector) and when I achieve my PM role I'll add him on linked in.

Associate
It was brought up because he had a warped vision of what autistic people are like and pigeon holed me as such. The role I was in at the time was an analyst role but I was always working with my other colleagues and helping out when it was busy picking orders or whatever.
I don't hold any grudges, I left on good terms (not that I ever want to go back into private sector) and when I achieve my PM role I'll add him on linked in.
I have a couple of aspergers/autistic people in my team but my partner heads up our local authority autism programme for schools so I have had some great advice from her. Social interaction can be an issue at times but my team have had a bit of training on the subject so are probably more aware than most.

Glad the move has worked out well and you left on good terms, you never know when your paths may cross again.

Soldato
I have a couple of aspergers/autistic people in my team but my partner heads up our local authority autism programme for schools so I have had some great advice from her. Social interaction can be an issue at times but my team have had a bit of training on the subject so are probably more aware than most.

Glad the move has worked out well and you left on good terms, you never know when your paths may cross again.

Thanks. It's good you have that knowledge, there are so many things that can ruin my day that are hard for others to understand so I think any little bits you pick up are a massive bonus for you and the staff.

Soldato
I might leave it till closer to the new closing date, it may show I am enthusiasm to work for the company and it wasn't just a "i'll try my luck and if I get it then I'll work it till something better comes along" application.

I asked the question and got a "as it's all part of the same system unfortunately can't" sort of email.
I've noticed it's been extended again.

I could trick the IT side by using a different email address but then a personal will pick it up.

Man of Honour
I asked the question and got a "as it's all part of the same system unfortunately can't" sort of email.
I've noticed it's been extended again.

I could trick the IT side by using a different email address but then a personal will pick it up.
I would just let this one go and focus your energy elsewhere. If they have extended the deadline and rejected you that must mean they really don't think you are the right fit, rather than it just being a case of a better candidate come along. I had a similar situation recently, had 3 interviews for a job and was rejected, apparently they rejected all candidates. This tells you that for whatever reason you don't meet their expectations, it could even be that their expectations are unrealistic, but that's kind of irrelevant as either way they aren't going to offer you a job.

As for the different email address approach, only time I've done that is when I applied to a company that had previously rejected me like a year later for a different role, there's no way I would try to apply again for the same role straight away.

Soldato
I would just let this one go and focus your energy elsewhere. If they have extended the deadline and rejected you that must mean they really don't think you are the right fit, rather than it just being a case of a better candidate come along. I had a similar situation recently, had 3 interviews for a job and was rejected, apparently they rejected all candidates. This tells you that for whatever reason you don't meet their expectations, it could even be that their expectations are unrealistic, but that's kind of irrelevant as either way they aren't going to offer you a job.

As for the different email address approach, only time I've done that is when I applied to a company that had previously rejected me like a year later for a different role, there's no way I would try to apply again for the same role straight away.

I agree, as it's close to a if I wrote a job advert for what i wanted.
Sure I've commented before I am retraining, so overqualified for some aspects for entry level jobs and not experienced for anything else. This vacancy had a section mentioning how this would be beneficial.

Ah well, onwards on the continuing hunt for that entry level job that doesn't require 3-5 years experience in the field and reads like they offer progression and not just remaining at the bottom....

Soldato
OP
I don't know why I thought this place would have changed in any way. I've been working on requirements for a product analytics tool to give product teams the insight and data they need. I wanted to do it properly (since it's our new product world and all in the org) and make sure we really understand the problem before getting a solution. I've been working on this for probably a month with user research etc. I get an email this morning basically saying the management has picked a tool. Without understanding our needs. But it's cheap and they can have it now, rather than wait. FML.

Much like you @Martynt74 with the software they picked at your place... it's infuriating! What's more, I am supposed to be able to have this sort of input, until someone decides I shouldn't.

So instead, I cancelled all my meetings this afternoon and having the afternoon off. I'll work on Cheezus stuff and feel more productive there. It's a bank holiday monday here, so that'll be nice and I've booked next friday afternoon off too. If they are determined to go down the same route they always have, I'll do what they say, nod when I need to and check myself out. Not worth the mental battle daily to get anything properly done.

Just needed a rant so I didn't send someone a ****** email :p

Soldato
I agree it is annoying. It also sums up the attitude in my current place that this software project is clearly non priority as i was supposed to have a full day today on planning (although i felt crappy doing that given i'm about to hand my notice in :p), that's now been pushed back to "we might be able to get an hour in towards the end of the day"

There's also no appetite to improve the underlying data issues and so the IT team constantly decide to change GL accounts depending on what they feel like which destroys any ability to create standardised reporting. They've talked about re-doing the Chart of Accounts ever since i started 4 years ago and in that time it's just turned into a bigger and bigger mess.

There's a huge disconnect between IT who manage the ERP system and us in Finance who try and control the data and so getting anything done correctly is a mess and requires loads of manual adjustments to get things in the right place. People acknowledge it's an issue but then people move onto something new without making sure the previous thing works and is being used properly.

The good side is my new role is specifically in charge of sorting all that stuff out, so in theory at least, i'll have control of these things and the power to make changes, rather than just stuck in the background.

Just waiting for the formal offer/contract to be emailed over and then i get the fun chat of telling my boss. God i hate doing this!

Soldato
Yeah definitely. Although i think my first day is the day after i'll be doing a marathon in the Lake District. Nothing like hobbling around looking exhausted as a first impression!

I had also applied for a consultancy role through a recruiter based in Knutsford. The hiring manager apologies but said they've had to delay the process, which i fully get an don't think i'm really ready for at the moment anyway, but i've reached out to him through Linkedin to ask his advice to make sure i get myself into the best possible position to be an asset for him in the future. Hopefully he replies.

Soldato
Offer letter in, they've also agreed to let me "borrow" future days holiday for a vacation we have planned in September. I wasn't sure what the process was since i wouldn't have accrued enough days and thought it may have been done as unpaid leave.

I've also only take a single days leave so far this year which means i'll be paid for 14 days untaken holiday. Sadly my wife disagrees that this should be spent on booze and toys :(

Associate
Hey guys, appreciate a quick bit of advice. I'm currently interviewing with a new company, and all seems to be going well. Assuming (fingers crossed) I'm offered the role at what point do you hand your notice in? I've been at my current place 11 years so more than a bit out of practice! I assume it's once you've got a formal offer - but not signed contracts? I've currently got a 3 month notice period which I'm worried about being a sticking point so the longer it takes to get it in, the longer before i can start.

Also, have you ever had any luck in negotiating down your notice period? Any advice for doing that?

Thanks!

Soldato
I would say the typical thing is once you've got the formal offer. I've just had mine and signed it and returned it and then they'll post out the new starter pack etc. To be fair, if it's 3 months i'm sure a few days wouldn't matter though!

I guess negotiating the notice period would depend on the company and your role, some might need a lengthy handover period in which case they might not want to let you go any earlier, others if you're in sales might be happy for you to leave. I guess it just depends on your boss and how quickly they can replace you.

Soldato
Hey guys, appreciate a quick bit of advice. I'm currently interviewing with a new company, and all seems to be going well. Assuming (fingers crossed) I'm offered the role at what point do you hand your notice in? I've been at my current place 11 years so more than a bit out of practice! I assume it's once you've got a formal offer - but not signed contracts? I've currently got a 3 month notice period which I'm worried about being a sticking point so the longer it takes to get it in, the longer before i can start.

Also, have you ever had any luck in negotiating down your notice period? Any advice for doing that?

Thanks!
On the notice period - they're generally not that enforceable in my experience. Every time I've left somewhere I've given them enough time (and a plan) for a handover, and left before my contracted notice period. Obviously I just didn't get paid for the balance.

Man of Honour
I was held to a 12 week notice period at my last place, I was ok with that though as I didn't have another job lined up.

To answer the above question, get the formal offer in writing then hand your notice in. Depending on what sort of relationship you have with your boss, and whether you might entertain a counter-offer, you might want to give them a headsup after the verbal offer (but not actually give notice of resignation of course). This would allow them an opportunity to 'see what they can do' which would typically not be entirely in their control and hence require a bit of lead time to sort out.

Soldato
Doesn't feel like it warrants it's own thread, but what are peoples opinions on going through an interview process if you're not sure if it's right ot not? Pull out to avoid wasting time or see how it goes in case something changes your mind?

Part of the interview process is to see if the role and organisation are right for you. They are selling to you as much as you are selling to them.

Soldato
Well it's official now.

The dread of Friday reached a point where i eventually had to send an email around 4:45 as my boss was just in back to back meetings and is on holiday this week. He rang me around 5:15 when i was on my way for a covid jab so luckily didn't have too long a conversation about it.

The CFO has booked in some time for a chat at 10am this morning, i'm fairly relaxed about this though. It's that initial breaking of the news that i dread, once that's done i'm fairly relaxed.

Back
Top Bottom