Damaged my new car on a swing bridge barrier!

Soldato
interesting sounds like the interlock mechanism is poorly designed to anticpate the worry drivers would have that the mechanism had not identified that they were still on the bridge, and would be resetting, without operating the bridge plate rotation -
unlike a railway crossing there's no imminent risk to life if it did rotate though ?

for railway crossing where the barriers drop simultenously with maybe a seconds notice,
since I always brake and cross at maybe 20mph - I have often wondered what I would do if they did start closing.

Soldato
OP
Don't those barriers drop simultaneously? If the one in front of you at the far side had already dropped then the one behind you would have also?
Maybe but I definitely couldnt see anything behind and I had a very good look, anyhow the barriers shouldn't have moved and their license to operate was probably given on that basis.

Soldato
OP
interesting sounds like the interlock mechanism is poorly designed to anticpate the worry drivers would have that the mechanism had not identified that they were still on the bridge, and would be resetting, without operating the bridge plate rotation -
unlike a railway crossing there's no imminent risk to life if it did rotate though ?

for railway crossing where the barriers drop simultenously with maybe a seconds notice,
since I always brake and cross at maybe 20mph - I have often wondered what I would do if they did start closing.
Well maybe, maybe not, there could be scenarios however unlikely where human intervention was needed immediately and they don't seem to have that capability, the bridge snagging a boat for instance, kids maybe playing where they shouldn't.

I think on a railway crossing car versus barrier would happen, no way you would wait.

Soldato
I don’t understand why you didn’t just stop on the bridge. Even if the bridge opened with a vehicle on, so what? Wait until it closes again.

It sounds like the bridge operated correctly in any event - it detected a vehicle and didn’t open.

You panicked and decided to try and throw your vehicle under a closing barrier. There was only going to be one outcome from that completely unnecessary action.

Back
Top Bottom