Boris's intensive care nurse

Caporegime
Everyone is entitled to do what she's done.
Don't like your job? Get another one.
Especially for nurses. Better pay, better climate. No brainer!

This is only a story due to her 'fame'.

Man of Honour
And even if it was (which it most definitely isn't) why are capitalists arguing against market forces?
One rule for them and another for everyone else?

Caporegime
But nursing is a skilled job. We aren't talking shelf stacking anyone can do it job. Who's stuck in a rut.

Nurses can easily find better paid work outside the UK. If you want better pay that badly. Go.
I sure would. And absolutely wouldn't blame anyone for going.

Soldato
If the NHS is under capacity which it is hugely, the capacity problems has to be a priority over increasing salaries.

Surely if they're under resourced, this points to the pay probably not being sufficient to attract enough people to do the work?

Soldato
OP
You're looking in the wrong place then! Labour have backed the sensible measures from the Government, but that won't generate significant news coverage.

Remind me again, which party repeatedly kept refusing to provide meals to children during school holidays, increasing demand on the already stretched food banks?

It's unforgivable. They claim they can't afford to feed children in poverty, while giving their mates highly profitable PPE deals.
You're missing point and its really not hard, if you don't get elected you don't help anyone. Do you think the labour party are going to win the next election, really?
So it doesn't matter what they shout into the void does It.

Soldato
OP
So why didnt you start a thread with that rather than
Because the example was a poorly chosen one and as such serves to discredit the arguement rather than supporting it.
The end result is more synicism and less progress. Which helps no one.

This sort of thing is rife amongst the click bait media and points scoring opposition, all the evidence indicates it is losing them support not helping.

Soldato
25k for the work they have to do is absolutely not high. Sorry but it just isnt.

Still waiting for the figure, and how it is paid for.

Carer's work isnt pleasant and they get way less than a nurse.

I think most people who are in employment will argue they are underpaid for what they do (except maybe those in very well paid jobs). This is why I am looking at this from a sensible perspective.

Soldato
If the NHS is under capacity which it is hugely, the capacity problems has to be a priority over increasing salaries.
Resourcing is solved in one of two ways - attrition (retain your existing hires) and/or attraction. Marketing will get you so far on attraction, but unless the dollar adds up for the work involved, people just won't apply.

Soldato
Still waiting for the figure, and how it is paid for.

Carer's work isnt pleasant and they get way less than a nurse.

I think most people who are in employment will argue they are underpaid for what they do (except maybe those in very well paid jobs). This is why I am looking at this from a sensible perspective.

You're comparing carers and nurses...do you know what nurses do? Genuine questions, im not being arsey. There is a big difference between the two.

£12 an hour to be a nurse IF you do the hours youre supposed to. I remember well my wife coming home well after her finishing time. Break it down per hour and it looks awful. You get paid £10 an hour to work at Aldi.

Soldato
Resourcing is solved in one of two ways - attrition (retain your existing hires) and/or attraction. Marketing will get you so far on attraction, but unless the dollar adds up for the work involved, people just won't apply.

You also have a overall budget, so payrise's may mean nurses (or other staff likeporters) losing their jobs.

But just to correct something here, Nurse pay is graded, also experience is factored in, the average is actually closer to 33k.

25k is nearer the starting salary, a job that more then likely will last for life since its funded by government.

So given that 33k is considered massively underpaid, what is considered reasonable? 40k? 50k? 100k? 200k?
Will it be considered underpaid in 10 years time after a bumper pay rise so it all starts again?

The issues raised with rent taking up half a pay, I agree thats a horrid situation, but that is down to a unregulated rent market, the fix for that isnt wage increases its lowering rents instead, also I do think many other occupations are overpaid as well. The solution to people been paid too much seems to be just to pay others more so people catch up, the problem with this though is it increases inflation and those in poor cities in unskilled jobs effectively become poorer.

But just so I can understand more someone please spit out a figure they would consider reasonable, and then is an idea of what type of % nurses are looking for, and the question is then should every other employer in the NHS and caring sectors get similar wage increases, in my mind you cannot give a Nurse a bumper pay rise and then give a carer/porter nothing. The domino effect would also then have doctors and consultants asking for their own rise as well as they would consider nurse salary getting closer to their own unacceptable.

Of course as has been mentioned, no issue with Nurses moving elsewhere if they feel money is important for them, but we dont have a massive amount of Nurses leaving the NHS, so that picture is not as rosy as it would seem.

However if I look at what nurses get paid overseas, the argument for a wage increase is stronger. Germany 44k, Canada 44k, America 51k. So looking at that, I do understand why Nurses feel they underpaid.

I think a reasonable solution to solving the latter problem is an agreement with government that pay would catch up but gradually over a number of years, as going from 33k to 44k in a single year pay increase is unlikely. So maybe 2% increase over 10 years on top of inflation. But this would have come from an isolated funding increase so other parts of the NHS are not stripped to pay for the salary increases.

So after looking at what other civilised countries are paying my view has changed, I think the timing is awful though, and that this catchup should be done over a number of years not all in one go. I also think carers and nurse assistants, ports should all be paid more as well.

Caporegime
A nurse in Switzerland get about 65K GBP per year, why on earth anyone would want to be a nurse in the UK with those salaries is beyond me.

Soldato
You're missing point and its really not hard, if you don't get elected you don't help anyone. Do you think the labour party are going to win the next election, really?
So it doesn't matter what they shout into the void does It.

I don't have a crystal ball, I can't see three years into the future...

In 2019 did you see a pandemic coming that'd have most of the world isolating themselves indoors for 18 months? I didn't.

Soldato
MPs and nurses don't have the same pay review body.

That's for sure. MPs pay review body is a lot more generous. They were offered 4.1% (was rejected) this year and 3.1% last year!

I think the government in general really need to look at ways of increasing everyone's wage in the country as we are all lagging behind.

Caporegime
You also have a overall budget, so payrise's may mean nurses (or other staff likeporters) losing their jobs.

But just to correct something here, Nurse pay is graded, also experience is factored in, the average is actually closer to 33k.

25k is nearer the starting salary, a job that more then likely will last for life since its funded by government.

So given that 33k is considered massively underpaid, what is considered reasonable? 40k? 50k? 100k? 200k?
Will it be considered underpaid in 10 years time after a bumper pay rise so it all starts again?

The issues raised with rent taking up half a pay, I agree thats a horrid situation, but that is down to a unregulated rent market, the fix for that isnt wage increases its lowering rents instead, also I do think many other occupations are overpaid as well. The solution to people been paid too much seems to be just to pay others more so people catch up, the problem with this though is it increases inflation and those in poor cities in unskilled jobs effectively become poorer.

But just so I can understand more someone please spit out a figure they would consider reasonable, and then is an idea of what type of % nurses are looking for, and the question is then should every other employer in the NHS and caring sectors get similar wage increases, in my mind you cannot give a Nurse a bumper pay rise and then give a carer/porter nothing. The domino effect would also then have doctors and consultants asking for their own rise as well as they would consider nurse salary getting closer to their own unacceptable.

Of course as has been mentioned, no issue with Nurses moving elsewhere if they feel money is important for them, but we dont have a massive amount of Nurses leaving the NHS, so that picture is not as rosy as it would seem.

However if I look at what nurses get paid overseas, the argument for a wage increase is stronger. Germany 44k, Canada 44k, America 51k. So looking at that, I do understand why Nurses feel they underpaid.

I think a reasonable solution to solving the latter problem is an agreement with government that pay would catch up but gradually over a number of years, as going from 33k to 44k in a single year pay increase is unlikely. So maybe 2% increase over 10 years on top of inflation. But this would have come from an isolated funding increase so other parts of the NHS are not stripped to pay for the salary increases.

So after looking at what other civilised countries are paying my view has changed, I think the timing is awful though, and that this catchup should be done over a number of years not all in one go. I also think carers and nurse assistants, ports should all be paid more as well.

The reason nurses don;t depart the UK en masse is because working in a foreign country will require fluency in the language, and typically the qualifications are not easily transferable with at least some kind of accelerated 1-2 years catch up required.

Soldato
Yeah thats why I didnt add that country to my examples, I do however acknowledge now our nurses are paid less than other countries so something based on that should be done.

Soldato
Boris literally has caused tens of thousands of unnecessary deaths in this country and people are still screaming 'But Corbyn....' it is ludicrous. You've been played like a fiddle mate.
What a total crock of ****. As we sit here in one of the best vaccinated countries in the world - what exactly do you think a different Government would have done differently? Heavily imposed lockdowns, with armed soldiers patrolling the streets? If you think you'd prefer to live somewhere like that you're completely delusional.

If I had the kind of magical hindisight most complainers have, I'd have earned a lot of money on graphics cards and Etherium by now.

Back
Top Bottom