Alienware M15 r4 vs msi ge66

Associate
Hey, i actually had the same dilemma for a laptop for my daughter.

Ended up with the Alienware. Loved the raided ssds and the build quality. What swung it was the external GPU ability to futureproof slightly. And i've had an XPS myself and had great support. Was expensive but i'm happy with the purchase.

She hasnt got it yet as birthday still to come. So hoping she loves it.

Associate
OP
Hey, i actually had the same dilemma for a laptop for my daughter.

Ended up with the Alienware. Loved the raided ssds and the build quality. What swung it was the external GPU ability to futureproof slightly. And i've had an XPS myself and had great support. Was expensive but i'm happy with the purchase.

She hasnt got it yet as birthday still to come. So hoping she loves it.
Thanks for replying, which panel did you pick? It looks like 144hz has gsync and optimus but the 300hz doesn't?

Associate
The gsync one, am sure it was actually cheaper if i recall. Was lucky as ordered incorrectly first time and cancelled it so when went to order again that had appeared as an option, wasnt there first time.

Associate
OP
I’ve just ordered the 17m r4 gets delivered end of next week. Looking forward to it. Hope you enjoy yours.

How are you finding the M17?
I've just picked up a nearly new M15 r4 with rtx 3080 and 32gb of ram for a great price, can't wait to get it!

Last edited:
Soldato
If price was the same, I'd go for the Alienware.

I'm very happy with the GE66, but I suspect the Alienware would just be classier. The GE66 is a bit plastic-y / cheesy with all the lighting.

I bought it because it was the cheapest, highest wattage 3070 actually in stock at the time.

I also like the Lenovo Legion, as I really like the 2060 version I have, but I was too impatient to wait for the lead-time (I'd probably have one by now had I ordered though!) Again, it's just classier than the MSI.

Associate
OP
If price was the same, I'd go for the Alienware.

I'm very happy with the GE66, but I suspect the Alienware would just be classier. The GE66 is a bit plastic-y / cheesy with all the lighting.

I bought it because it was the cheapest, highest wattage 3070 actually in stock at the time.

I also like the Lenovo Legion, as I really like the 2060 version I have, but I was too impatient to wait for the lead-time (I'd probably have one by now had I ordered though!) Again, it's just classier than the MSI.

I'm just waiting for my M15 r4 to arrive now, managed to get a used one with 32gb ram, 1tb ssd g-sync screen and rtx 3080 for £1900 so I'm pretty pleased. Not too keen on the white colour but I can live with it

Last edited:
Associate
OP
I received my M15 this week and I have to say its a great machine!
Loks much better than I thought it would too, its more grey than white and has a sort of retro Nintendo look to it.

Associate
Curious on peoples opinions on the new Alienware M15 R5 AMD just out? Seem pretty reasonably priced, alienware wise...
Is the QHD display a big step up over FHD worth the extra £200?

Associate
OP
Curious on peoples opinions on the new Alienware M15 R5 AMD just out? Seem pretty reasonably priced, alienware wise...
Is the QHD display a big step up over FHD worth the extra £200?

I was tempted to get the new r5 but it has a lower wattage 3070 and I don't think qhd is worth it on a laptop screen, better off with fhd as it will last longer imo

Back
Top Bottom