Has anyone been on probation before?

NVP

NVP

Soldato
OP
It's tricky as mine was generally a continuation of what started within a big boxy building i called home for a while, so my "on the outside" experience may differ to yours. I recall the first was a longer session though as it was based around release.

I don't recall it being overly intrusive though, maybe some questions around family support etc. The main paperwork was very generic talking around the victim and empathy and stuff like that, but it wasn't really relevant unless you'd committed violence/burglary.
Thank you. That's interesting, perhaps they are going through new paperwork with me like a checklist? I'm being asked extremely personal things such as my care for my children, my relationship with my wife, my work, my friends, my finances/assets, my day to day activities etc. All completely unrelated to my conviction and something I do not wish to discuss with a stranger.

Soldato
Thank you. That's interesting, perhaps they are going through new paperwork with me like a checklist? I'm being asked extremely personal things such as my care for my children, my relationship with my wife, my work, my friends, my finances/assets, my day to day activities etc. All completely unrelated to my conviction and something I do not wish to discuss with a stranger.
This will be so that the person working your case can complete an OASys.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Offender_Assessment_System

Soldato

Maybe it's different due to the nature of your crime, there may be more "safety" related issues i guess.

Soldato
Bunch of bullies really.

They are trying break you down to a degree, remind you who's the daddy.

It's largely about targets and politics. The better their stats the better it looks for the politicians.

You've just crossed the line you could easily be on the other side.

Soldato
Maybe it's different due to the nature of your crime, there may be more "safety" related issues i guess.
Lesser crimes where you just get to do Unpaid Work won't require a full assessment. They'll assess your risk to staff and others on the group, but other than that you're on a minibus picking up litter.

NVP

NVP

Soldato
OP
I worked in Probation for 15 years - not front line, but have a fair bit of experience of much of the work.

It is a very intrusive process. Ultimately, the staff working your case are responsible for reducing the risk of you committing further offences. What you get out of it and how they plan to achieve that really depends on what you've been convicted of.

I always remember a very experienced officer, on the day of retiring telling me after 40 years in the field he'd come to the conclusion that his whole career was a waste of time. People don't change. Or moreover - you can't change people. It's partly why so much focus at the time was around working with young families and trying to prevent people getting into crime in the first place.
Thank you. I feel it too intrusive, personal and completely unwarranted.

To expand, and to also answer Dowie - I had my car searched and was found with a collection of souvenir knives in my car, which I had placed there to avoid my young children finding in my drawers now that they have started walking, and was going to drop them at my parents home when I next visited. Unfortunately it appears that was a criminal offence and was charged with each item.

This will be so that the person working your case can complete an OASys.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Offender_Assessment_System
Thank you for that, makes a bit more sense now but I don't understand why they are being so personal as it feels quite beyond any normal or logical scope.

Perhaps, it just doesn't make any logical sense to me with how much personal detail they wish for me to divulge. Thank you for answering, it is appreciated.

Soldato

To expand, and to also answer Dowie - I had my car searched and was found with a collection of souvenir knives in my car, which I had placed there to avoid my young children finding in my drawers now that they have started walking, and was going to drop them at my parents home when I next visited. Unfortunately it appears that was a criminal offence and was charged with each item.

And you were only wearing a balaclava because it was cold and you had stopped outside the bank to ask for directions.

NVP

NVP

Soldato
OP
No worries, to be fair it's a few years ago now and so my memory of things may be different to how they actually were. I also don't generally bother about privacy in any way shape or form, so perhaps just didn't take the same issue with intrusive questions as you.

Hopefully you can move past the whole thing quickly and easily enough without it disrupting too much.
Ah I see, typical/general questions I would have no real concern with, but the amount of detail requested and persistent questioning on family etc. I find way too intrusive to divulge to a stranger, especially one with attitude.

Thank you, yes I hope so but it will be on-going for quite some time. They did mention that it would change to monthly at some point, I'm unsure of when that would be. Thanks for the info, your replies are appreciated.

And you were only wearing a balaclava because it was cold and you had stopped outside the bank to ask for directions.
Hahaha

Soldato
Picture of the souvenir knives for anyone interested.

He just came back from a Rambo Fan Convention. :p

Rambo123.jpg

Soldato

Thank you for that, makes a bit more sense now but I don't understand why they are being so personal as it feels quite beyond any normal or logical scope.

Perhaps, it just doesn't make any logical sense to me with how much personal detail they wish for me to divulge. Thank you for answering, it is appreciated.
If they come to the conclusion that this was just a bit of a mix up and realise you're not actually a psychopath about to go on a killing spree - then they'll shift a lot of their focus onto more pressing cases.

Unfortunately, most Serious Further Offences come from low tiers. So you'll have to figive them for being overly intrusive and cautious.

Associate

I actually have wondered a lot about this, especially with all the controversy around female religious face coverings, or even now with medical masks.

Why is a balaclava or ski mask automatically considered an indicator of criminal intent?

The issue of crimes committed in such guises isn't to do with the type of face covering, but the fact that the face is concealed.

Back
Top Bottom