Buying Router from USA to use in UK

Associate
Batley, West Yorkshire, England, United Kingdom
Dear All,

First post to this forum, so please be gentle.

I am not a tech expert by any stretch, but I can usually hobble on and get by.

Currently living in Batley, West Yorkshire, UK, and have been using Vodafone Broadband for some time now, I believe it is Fibre To The Cabinet (FTTC).

My speed test on WiFi is usually around 50Mbps.

I am using the Vodafone provided hub, along with some TP Link Extenders, which I created separate SSID's for.

I am currently toying with the idea of buying a new Modem and Router to upgrade my home system, and to try and future proof it a little.

The Router I have taken a liking to is the ASUS ROG Rapture GT-AXE 1 1000, which is a WiFi 6E Router.
LINK: https://rog.asus.com/networking/rog-rapture-gt-axe11000-model/

The only problem is, this router is currently not available in the U.K and the only place to buy it from is the U.S.A.

Question 1: Will the router work as it should in the U.K, even if it was purchased from the U.S.A ?

Question 2: Is it possible to buy the correct plug adaptor to use in UK 3 pin sockets, and to use with our AC ? I don't want to use any step up / step down devices or convertors.

I understand I will need to buy a separate modem, as the ASUS ROG AXE 1 1000 is only a wireless router, and not a modem.

Thanks in advance for your help guys, I look forward to reading through the rest of the forum in due course.

Soldato
It'll work but will almost certainly be using frequencies that aren't currently permitted over here.

Most such devices use PSUs that are multi-voltage and multi-frequency. You'd need to look at it and read the label. If the supplied PSU isn't usable finding an alternative wouldn't be difficult.

If you have a decor where that fugly mess would blend in I pity you!

Soldato
Good god, looks like a medieval torture device!

What Bremen1874 said ^^^ ...

I had an old Asus router that shipped with a US type 2 pin wall wart and a UK adapter in the box many years ago.

Soldato
Question 1: Will the router work as it should in the U.K, even if it was purchased from the U.S.A ?

Yes, it will work fine. Set the country to the UK when you receive it.

Question 2: Is it possible to buy the correct plug adaptor to use in UK 3 pin sockets, and to use with our AC ? I don't want to use any step up / step down devices or convertors.

From the data sheet it uses a (for ASUS) standard 19V 3.42A PSU and if you look at this video about 32 seconds in you can see it uses a separate power brick so just swap the US supplied IEC-C8 plug for a 3-pin UK one and you’ll be fine.

I have to say, I think this is a bad idea. You’re not really future-proofing. You’re paying a HUGE premium so you can tell people you’ve got a WiFi6E router. I assume you are aware that WiFi6E is basically an in-room technology and the 6GHz signal has almost no penetration through walls or floors? And that there are almost no WiFi6E client devices that can make use of the extra speed assuming you live in a studio flat or barn conversion?

Do yourself a favour and wait a year. The same specification box will cost £150 and there might actually be some clients that can use the speed.

Caporegime
Any particular reason you’ve set your extenders onto different SSID’s? Your devices will try their utmost to cling to their currently connected access point if they can see it unless you manually tell them to switch to the different SSID. Normally you set the SSID’s all the same so your devices will hop between them as you walk around the house.

Soldato
Any particular reason you’ve set your extenders onto different SSID’s? Your devices will try their utmost to cling to their currently connected access point if they can see it unless you manually tell them to switch to the different SSID. Normally you set the SSID’s all the same so your devices will hop between them as you walk around the house.

If the SSIDs are the same but the devices are not configured for roaming then having the same SSID doesn't help. You will walk in the house and connect to the closest AP, then when you walk around the house because the devices do not have handoff you wont roam to the next closest AP you will stay on the original AP until the connection is so bad it drops, then it would reconnect to the next closest one.

I have different SSIDs so that upstairs devices always connect to upstairs APs and downstairs devices to downstairs APs. My phone will connect to whichever of them it finds first when I enter my house and I can very easily switch between them as they are all saved.

To have a single SSID and roaming you really need all the devices to be from the same stable and have the handoff capability.

Like Meraki and these new Mesh Wifi units do.

Soldato
If the SSIDs are the same but the devices are not configured for roaming then having the same SSID doesn't help. You will walk in the house and connect to the closest AP, then when you walk around the house because the devices do not have handoff you wont roam to the next closest AP you will stay on the original AP until the connection is so bad it drops, then it would reconnect to the next closest one.

I have different SSIDs so that upstairs devices always connect to upstairs APs and downstairs devices to downstairs APs. My phone will connect to whichever of them it finds first when I enter my house and I can very easily switch between them as they are all saved.

To have a single SSID and roaming you really need all the devices to be from the same stable and have the handoff capability.

Like Meraki and these new Mesh Wifi units do.

I take your point, and I think you’re both saying the same thing. The ‘handoff’ is basically an RSSI level soft-kick that can see the client on multiple access points and if one is stronger than the other then it shifts the client to the stronger access point. The same SSID does the same thing just passively rather than actively. You’re right that the ‘handoff’ feature is better, but the system will ultimately work the same if configured as @MissChief indicates.

Caporegime
Unless you’re streaming very high quality or are maxing out your connection then you’re unlikely to even notice the handover. It won’t be seamless it’s true but a second or two isn’t a deal breaker in most situations.

Soldato
Unless you’re streaming very high quality or are maxing out your connection then you’re unlikely to even notice the handover. It won’t be seamless it’s true but a second or two isn’t a deal breaker in most situations.

Agreed - even the very best 'zero handoff' solutions have to break the connection and won't maintain a VOIP call for example.

Associate
OP
Wow, thank you all for your replies everyone.

Originally, I did have the extender's SSID's set to the same as my main router to try and replicate the mesh network effect, but to be honest I can't remember exactly why I changed them to having separate SSID's.

I think @pepp77 's explanation was pretty much on the money. I have 1 extender downstairs, and 1 extender upstairs. Both of them are 2 channel (2.4 & 5 Ghz), so for the downstairs router I have 2 SSID's (2.4 Ghz & 5 Ghz), and for the upstairs routers I have another 2 SSID's.

This way, it is easier to connect to the extender which I am closest to, and I know for sure I am connected to the nearest one.

The only problem is, my parents do not really understand it, so most times they are connected to the wrong extender.

Soldato
Wow, thank you all for your replies everyone.

Originally, I did have the extender's SSID's set to the same as my main router to try and replicate the mesh network effect, but to be honest I can't remember exactly why I changed them to having separate SSID's.

I think @pepp77 's explanation was pretty much on the money. I have 1 extender downstairs, and 1 extender upstairs. Both of them are 2 channel (2.4 & 5 Ghz), so for the downstairs router I have 2 SSID's (2.4 Ghz & 5 Ghz), and for the upstairs routers I have another 2 SSID's.

This way, it is easier to connect to the extender which I am closest to, and I know for sure I am connected to the nearest one.

The only problem is, my parents do not really understand it, so most times they are connected to the wrong extender.

The clients will sort themselves out. I’d just go with one SSID. But if the clients are set to auto-join a network they should do the same thing anyway.

Soldato
You spent how much on a VDSL modem? Wow!! Actually, you've bought another router, not a modem. I don't know if that router (I really loathe Draytek routers) has a bridge mode or not so you may be stuck with double NAT which is best avoided.

Personally I'd grab a 2nd hand Openreach branded Huawei HG612 for about £20 from eBay but if you wanted a brand new one than a Draytek Vigor 130 or 166 would work fine.

Last edited:
Soldato
It'll work in the sense that you'll have an internet connection.

There's absolutely no need to drop > £200 on a VDSL modem. Cancel the order and get yourself a Huawei HG612 from eBay for £20.

Edit - You should remove the link to that 'modem' because OcUK sell VDSL routers and don't want people linking to competitors.

Associate
OP
Hello guys,

Sorry for the late reply.

It appears that The-Evaluator was absolutely correct about the DOUBLE NAT.

I tried to set up a remote log in to the Asus router, and I received the message below:

" The wireless router currently uses a private WAN IP address.
This router may be in the multiple-NAT environment and DDNS service cannot work in this environment."

I should have mentioned before, I bought this equipment for my parents house. I live in London, and my parents live in Batley. I wanted to upgrade their system for them, and at the same time, have the ability to log in remotely to help troubleshoot for them if there were any problems occurring.They are both less IT proficient than I am. And as you have probably noticed, I am about 1 out of 10 when compared with some of the knowledge being thrown about on here.

I did not have a chance to send back the DrayTek Vigor 2865 (modem/router) as it only arrived on Saturday, and I had to set it up and travel back to London on Sunday afternoon.

I will probably re-order another modem only and send the Vigor 2865 back to Amazon, and I might even send back the Asus and change for Ubiquiti whilst I am still in the mood. Haven't decided yet. But whatever happens, I definitely need to change that incorrect modem-router I bought and change for modem only.

Soldato
Did your parents want to be upgraded?

In your OP you say you (they) are getting approx. 50 Mbps on wireless, which should be good enough if they're only using it for Internet access.

What are you (they) actually going to gain?

If they're having Internet connectivity issues odds are you won't be able to log in remotely to help. If they're having more general problems remote desktop software (e.g. AnyDesk) is probably going to be more useful.

You've then got the situation where ISPs generally don't support third-party equipment. If they do have a line related problem you've just made their life more complicated and you won't be there to help.

Back
Top Bottom