A town or city with no kids

Soldato
Plot twist: everyone is sterile but immortal at the same time.

That was an idea I came up with when I was still at school (doubtless due to reading too much sci fi): What would happen if people could be immortal and young forever, but as a result they couldn't have children? Would anyone actively choose to die so they could have kids? I had this vision of the future where a small group of religious extremists still lived "normal" lives whilst the rest of humanity mostly stagnated, looking down on the breeders as freaks whilst they enjoyed a fantastic quality of life for millennia!

Soldato
A town with no kids would be great, as long as every now and then a bus load of five year olds were brought in to fight. In the interest of keeping everyone sane.

Associate
A while ago one of the kids on my street kept door bell dashing me, then one time I look out the window and she's face planted on the pavement, her ice cream splattered on the ground, and then clutching her knee like Peter Griffin.

Wonderful Karma. She stopped after another kid walking past saw it, I opened the door and thought he had rang and questioned him, I'm assuming he either grassed or told her off.

I'm thinking if they decide to gather in front of my house again, sit on my lovely new window seat and engage in angry face staring at them till they leave.

Associate
That was an idea I came up with when I was still at school (doubtless due to reading too much sci fi): What would happen if people could be immortal and young forever, but as a result they couldn't have children? Would anyone actively choose to die so they could have kids? I had this vision of the future where a small group of religious extremists still lived "normal" lives whilst the rest of humanity mostly stagnated, looking down on the breeders as freaks whilst they enjoyed a fantastic quality of life for millennia!

The issue with sterile and immortal is that eventually people would still die from accidents, crime or disease, and the population wouldn't be able to recover.

Soldato
The issue with sterile and immortal is that eventually people would still die from accidents, crime or disease, and the population wouldn't be able to recover.

Cloning would be a practical solution to that, but it messes with the original concept that it has to be a choice between immortality and having kids.

Associate
I'd quite like to live in a town with no boomers or older people.

Sensible house prices, appropriate bedroom to resident occupancy ratios in family homes, no old codgers slowing down my supermarket shopping, easy to access GP surgeries that are uncluttered with people that should have died 10 years ago, commute to work unhindered by motorists driving 20mph below the speed limit.

Sounds pretty great IMO.

Caporegime
Would that be a terrible place?

There'd be no schools there, no school runs so less traffic on the road. No screaming kids in supermarkets
No happy meals. No youth crime. (It'll just be gammons with baseball bats)

Most places in North Yorkshire are heading this way already. I went to a local council business meeting and they said the average age for the region was the second highest in the country and would be the highest if the 30,000 soldiers based at Carrick Garrison didnt bright the average down.

But it does mean that house prices are through the roof and they drive everywhere like they have all the time in the world as they arent working.

And there is loads of crime as the scumbags come from the North East and rob things like today when one of my neighbours had his quad bike stolen at lunchtime (the police did their job and after a cross country chase got the scumbag)

Back
Top Bottom