Q acoustics good deal?

Associate
Hi all,

I was gonna replace some aging mission 734 floorstanders and a 77c centre. The 734s have damaged tweeters. So it was either replace the tweeters or find something else.

I came accross a second hand q acoustics 220i 5.1 set with brackets and a 2070 subwoofer. He wants 230 quid for them. Is this a good upgrade from what I have and is it a good deal. He said he paid around 900 for the lot new.

Andy

Soldato
Hi all,

I was gonna replace some aging mission 734 floorstanders and a 77c centre. The 734s have damaged tweeters. So it was either replace the tweeters or find something else.

I came accross a second hand q acoustics 220i 5.1 set with brackets and a 2070 subwoofer. He wants 230 quid for them. Is this a good upgrade from what I have and is it a good deal. He said he paid around 900 for the lot new.

Andy
220i bookshelfs got rave reviews... suspect its a good upgrade at that money, particularly if your old Missions are past it. Not sure what this guy will take, but have heard these MA's and they are superb, and quite 'Mission like'
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/224462524040?hash=item3443024e88:g:kD4AAOSwj2pgn9Km

Associate
I have a 3070s sub and it's perfect for my smaller room, and in consideration of not having irate neighbours.
My surrounds are 3010.
I was enveloped in music making for 20 years, and I cannot fault my system.
£230 for a full set seems like a bargain.

Associate
OP
Those speakers are nice turbot but collection only.

Thanks for the feedback though guys. I'm tempted to just go for those at this price. I can always pick up some new tweeters on the bay for my missions. Keep them as a back up or sell them on once repaired. Do you think the q acoustics will sound better than what I have? I mean they are bookshelf vs floorstanding. But I don't have a sub currently. So that will certainly be an upgrade.

Andy

Man of Honour
I've searched for Q Acoustics 220 / 220i but come up emptyhanded regarding specs or reviews. The closest I get is the 2020i currently selling at £129/pr. Am I missing something here or is 220i a typo for 2020i?

If it is the 2020i with the 2070 sub then I don't see this as a straightforward step up. In some respects it would be a downgrade.

The 734s were £500 floorstanders, and at the time £500 was about the tipping point where it was possible to make reasonably-stiff large boxes so that it was worth buying floorstanders. At £400 and below the better option was larger stand-mounted speakers. They had tighter and more precise bass than similarly-prices budget floorstanders.

Like most larger speakers though, the Missions need some space around them if they're to perform well. Put them too close to a corner and what should be deep controlled bass becomes boomy and overbearing. Small speakers are more forgiving in this respect, but they lack the richness of tone and depth of their larger cousins.

A small pair of bookshelfs and a sub seems like the logical solution; the main speakers are more forgiving of placement, and the sub allows the bass level to be controlled independently, but there's only so far that this combo can be stretched before the underlying limitations are exposed. Reviews which sing the main-speaker's praises do so in the context of similar budget-oriented speakers and not against competition at 3-4 times the price and significantly larger.

I'm reminded of the first time I listened to Monitor Audio BR2 standmounters versus the BR5 floorstanders. On their own, the BR2s sounded great and it was difficult to think why stepping up to a floorstander at more than twice the price would be needed. Then I heard the BR5s. It wasn't just the extra bass extension but what the speaker added to the midrange too. Things that the BR2 had sketched in got the full colour treatment with the BR5s. Whether it was musical instruments or voices, they all had more timbre with the bigger speakers. Stepping up to the Silver bookshelfs repeated the same trick despite being physically smaller than the BR5 floorstanders. Then the Silver flooranders repeated the same trick yet again. The 2020i isn't Q Acoustics top-of-the range standmount speaker. There's a reason why the 3000-series and the Concept-series both exist.

This brings us to the sub. There's a reason that the 2070 sub looks the way it does with its twin 6.5" drivers. The primary concern is having something easy to hide. Having two smaller drivers compared to one larger driver won't make it play as deep. If the amplifier is powerful enough then it might play as loud as a single larger driver, but it won't reach as low down.

Depending on the main speaker model, the package isn't bad value. You might even be able to buy, try and then move on for what you paid, so if you can afford it then give it a whirl. It's a shame the tweeters on your Missions are bust. Doing a proper A/B comparison would be interesting.

Associate
OP
Hi Lucid,

thanks for taking the time to make suck a detailed reply. At the moment I don't have a massive budget. I'm preparing to get married next year and this event is draining my finances currently. I think the money would be better spent on new speakers :)

I have found some replacement tweeters on eBay. But most of them are for an upgraded model of the 734s (734i). Same dimensions but different tweeters. They would fit but not sure how it would sound. I was tempted to pick up the q acoustics as they were relatively local. You were right I made a typo and the speakers are in fact 2020i.

I just wasn't sure if it was really that great a deal. I suppose I could hang-on for some floorstanders.

Andy

Soldato
In terms of value, the Q Acoustics 5.1 plus sub set you mentioned seem like a very good deal. Granted they are "dated" in terms of age, but they are still very good performer.

Even on the bottom-end of value estimation, a pair of the 2020i would be around £80~£100 per pair, and let's pretend the center speakers worth only £50, and the sub only worth £150, that's still be total of around £400, so for £230 is a steal for the whole 5.1 setup.

Don't know how big is the room/lounge that you would be using the set up in, but if it is not too large, the 2020i for front would probably be sufficient and not requiring a floorstander front considering you have a sub.

£230...I paid more than that for my Sennheiser Momentum True Wireless 2 earbuds :cry:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom